Hoyfjell. Industrial-Fantasy RPG

Ortouch, thank you very much for your kind words!

daveyd, sorry I didn't answer about the classes. No classes, here's how the character sheet looks right now:

Cool design, I can see by your character sheet that you're including magic as well as tech items so I was thinking there's two ways you can go with the game lore.
1. You can actually have magic working with technology- kind of a techno Wizardry, and I don't know if you already have influences, but you can check out the tabletop RPG
Iron kingdoms, https://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms

2. And of course the second one would be similar to Arcanum with technology conflicting with magic let us know how your lore develops.

Ortouch, thank you very much for your kind words!

daveyd, sorry I didn't answer about the classes. No classes, here's how the character sheet looks right now:

Tactician, thank you for your feedback, I appreciate the interest.
Well, I can speculate about this topic, but while the game is in development, nothing is set in stone. And after all, it's more interesting when players can have their own interpretations of the game's lore, I think.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to talk about the lore, I just feel like I can spoil a part of the fun for some people.

New screenshots with an autumn tileset:

And some character art:

First time hearing about this game and I'm already interested. My only gripe is I hope the developer is able to finish this as I've seen many go quiet, or get cancelled.:)

Couchpotato, thank you.

Update with a winter tileset:

Those screenshots piked my interest as well.

A few question regarding the project:
@saj; - I see the project was initially called Temple of the Monolith. What made you change the name and overall direction of the game?

I don't know anything about game development so just curious whether the project is still in very early stage or not. When do you think you can share more information about the game (e.g. is it going to be on Steam? How long will the game be? Which games did you draw inspirations from? etc)

Thanks everyone for all the good questions, they helped me to write a post with more details about the game. It's quite lengthy, so I'll just post a link:
What is Høyfjell?

Carnifex, thank you very much! Compliment taken!

vurt, thank you very much! Well, as of right now, I'm not looking for more people to work on the game, but thank you for your interest!

purpleblob, thank you very much for the good questions!

So, about the Temple of the Monolith. Well, the short answer is that I was constantly revisiting the design of the Temple, until I realized that I just have to make it turn-based and open-world game. That instantly allowed me to throw out stuff that I didn't like, and add stuff that I like. I was struggling with the story for the Temple for 2,5 years. But after changing the design, I came up with the story in about a couple of months. And I like it much better. The project became quite different, so the name change was indeed required. But, in many respects, it's the same game, many characters and many locations are still there.

About the development stage. I'm writing a post about the game's development schedule, it will have more info. The short answer: I've finished the first major part of the development, I would call it "pre-production" (that probably means different things in different game communities). For me it means that I've left the iteration cycle, settled with the game's direction and started working on the content.

I'm getting ready to properly announce the game, so I can share more information.

About Steam. I want to release the game under Pay-What-You-Want, When-You-Want, If-You-Want model. Now, even though Steam doesn't have that, I still want to release the game on this store at some point, since it's a preferable way to play for many people. Unless there's some kind of terms of service issue or something like that, Steam is one of the target stores.

About the length of the game. Can't tell exactly right now, but here's my approach. Being an open world game, means that I can add or remove content relatively easily. I have a scope that I consider as a basis (core locations, core quests, core characters). When that is implemented - it depends. If the game feels empty, I will have to add more side content. If it feels like enough, I'll focus on polishing existing content.

I've mentioned some information about the length of the game in the link above, so I think it's worth to give a short excerpt:
The length of a playthrough is flexible.
I hope that Høyfjell is going to be a personal experience for everyone who plays it. If you don't have much time for games these days, you are free to focus exclusively on the story quests and finish a game in a couple of evenings. I don't think that an RPG has to have 80 hours of gameplay to be a good game. But hopefully, people who have the time for a side-content will appreciate it as well.

About inspirations. I would love to talk about my favourite games. However, I think it would feel like I'm trying to promote my project using somebody's else work. So I try not to mention other games, even though I would love to do that. But I think, looking at the screenshots and the game's design, my inspirations are quite evident.

Again, thanks everyone for all feedback and the questions, I do appreciate it.

Two updates.
One is one the Development Schedule.

Another one is more about the gameplay and design. I think it's worth to provide some highlights from it. I might repeat what I've already mentioned here.
• Hoyfjell is a non-epic RPG
• Main focus is on side-adventures, not on the main quest
• No level-scaling
• No quest markers
• No achievements system
• Hand-placed loot
• Quest items are just regular items. There's no special Quest Item marker in the game
• Every NPC can be killed
• Different builds - different power level
• No dice-skewing
• Hidden dialogue options are hidden
• *There might be mature content
• *No tutorial
• *Reduced inventory management - inventory is unlimited and shared across whole party
• *No traps skill

Points that I may revisit in the future are marked with an asterisk.

I don't want to post walls of text here - it's a long update, but if you are interested to read my notes on each point, here is the full post.

Uhh, I realized that I need to provide some details about "Every NPC can be killed" point. There are "ghosts" in the game. I haven't decided yet, but I think it just makes more sense to make them invulnerable (and not being involved in combat at all).
So if a ghost can be understood as an NPC, the statement above is not fully correct, I apologize for that.

Thanks for the information. I'm hesitant to give money to a game I don't actually know if it will ever exist (screenshots look really good but a screenshot isn't a game). I will absolutely throw money your way if you actually deliver though, that list of features is great (you pretty much had my support at "no scaling" and "turn based" together with that character sheet).

TomRon, thank you very much for your interest, I appreciate it!

Well, to make this game possible, I'm launching a Patreon campaign.
I wrote a lengthy post with the background on the project: The Road to Hoyfjell.

Well, if people have any questions about the campaign, feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom