I Do Not Like Anime

Thanks, had no idea. All these weird names! Hell, that is another reason I hate anime, there are too many weird names and categories involved in the whole subculture of it. Too confusing. :biggrin:
Yep a lot of the anime I mentioned targets single Japanese men often referred to as Otaku Hikikomoris. Though I agree the labeling is very excessive in anime subculture.

I never watched Anime, and I don't think I would, because of the style. I have a similar problem with Manga. I just don't like that drawing style.

However, here in Germany, there have been a few animated series with a similar style in the 70s. Germans know what I mean. ;)

Plus, there's The Last Unicorn.

Besides, I think it is no wonder why TV Tropes has so many characterisations listed under japanese terms. I think they developed a certain way to characterise characters.

Still too large to afford some kind of general aversion.
This. There's just too much of it to judge it all in one fell swoop: different subjects, different production values, different voice actors, and so on.

My mom doesn't like science fiction, but only mostly. There's a few here and there she likes. I don't like romance novels, but only... ok, that's a bad example. I don't like any romance novels.

Well, everyone does not like something. I don't like Heavy Metal or Rap or Hip-Hop, for example. There are a few exceptions, but in general ... I don't like some kinds of meals, either.

And in the end, it's all a matter of taste, I guess.

ghots in the shell, akira, mononoke hime
this is the art of japan animation everyone should enjoy

I absolutely love some anime but when they try introducing too much comedy to it i'm out. Japanese ""comedy"" is like going back in time to the 1920's, it really hasn't advanced beyond that and i doubt it ever will.

I tend to like the animes where the main characters are kids, i think they have somehow mastered that. When it's about grown ups i usually think it's too lame, there are a few exceptions though.

Most of the anime you see on regular TV (at least where I live) is pretty horrible, so I also tended towards not liking anime.

But there's some pretty good ones with interesting and complex storylines. One part that interests me is that it's not sticking to all those well known tropes we are used to in western story telling. At least not all the time. ;)

Although, again, some overshoot now and then. Then, their idea of a complex story involves being intentionally vague on it, randomly changing scenes, etc. Essentially, trying to trick the viewer into thinking there's a hell of complex plot behind it all while they're actually just intentionally removing any coherence from an otherwise straight-forward story.

That's not exclusive to anime, of course. But I still run into it more often than in other media.

I also can't stand anime and all the rest of that Asian "art"!
I know it could be because I was raised on European fairy tales and legends, our cultural stuff impacted me a lot when I was a kid. So I just cant understand how someone can imagine little girl with huge boobs and oversized sword to be any kind of hero. Or take all Asian MMOs - I get we, guys, love boobs, but cmon, how can you identify epic hero with 16 year old girl in scanty clad and high heels, screaming in tiny voice while killing hordes of monsters! It just looks stupid, hilarious and unreal!

Yes, yes, absolutely not. About those three. Adored the first two, hated that last one. :)
I tend to like the animes where the main characters are kids, i think they have somehow mastered that. When it's about grown ups i usually think it's too lame, there are a few exceptions though.
Actually I think the opposite. When it's about grown ups, it's usually fantastic. Wheareas when it's about kids, it's usually yucky unless horror with mutilating and butchering those very same kids. :)
I also can't stand anime and all the rest of that Asian "art"!
I know it could be because I was raised on European fairy tales and legends, our cultural stuff impacted me a lot when I was a kid.
It can't be, because I was raised the same way.
btw, imbecillic mmos aren't anime. I can't stand any mmo regardless of the graphics style used.

Actually I think the opposite. When it's about grown ups, it's usually fantastic. Wheareas when it's about kids, it's usually yucky unless horror with mutilating and butchering those very same kids. :)

Nah, all the Miyazaki movies for examples, they're often considered the best ones which i agree with. My neighbor Totoro, Ponyo (whatever its called in English - its probably my favorite).

Portrayal of kids done right is a rare treat in movies overall i think, especially making them interesting and engaging to follow for a whole movie.

Most of the anime with adults i feel are usually more targeted towards teens while Miyazaki movies are more for adults and kids. I doubt too many teenagers (or people in their 20's) would like the Miyazaki ones (i highly doubt I would have in that age).

Nah, all the Miyazaki movies for examples, they're often considered the best ones which i agree with. My neighbor Totoro, Ponyo (whatever its called in English - its probably my favorite).
And this is where we differ.
I loathe Miyazaki. Can't stand anything from him. Yuck. :) No wonder it's mainstream.

And this is where we differ.
I loathe Miyazaki. Can't stand anything from him. Yuck. :) No wonder it's mainstream.

I have a feeling you are too young to enjoy something like that. It's popular because it's good stuff ;)

Too old. I'm too old.

The stories might be interesting, but the art style ? A matter of taste in my case.

You sure you're perceiving things correctly? Let's as an example see the art style of the mentioned Ghost in the Shell (intro):

From wiki, the plot:
In 2029, with the advance of cybernetic technology, the human body can be "augmented" or even completely replaced with cybernetic parts. Another significant achievement is the cyberbrain, a mechanical casing for the human brain that allows access to the Internet and other networks. An often-mentioned term is "ghost", referring to the consciousness inhabiting the body (the "shell").

Now grab this 20 years old masterpiece, watch it and then tell me you don't like anime.

Or, don't watch it and continue believing anime style means cheap rubbish for masses like this (to be honest there are animes that look much worse):

Last edited:
I guess you didn't watch Sailor Moon as a kid!!!! :D

Me? No I didn't, I was already an old fart quoting Usagi everywhere, the trash dialogue was superb for trolling.
As it happens, many sailormoon anime "fans" do not know who Usagi is.
English dub recording idiots renamed her into Serena

I am born 82 and grew up with Western Cartoons like Gummy Bears, Smurfs, Turtles.

Occasionally there was some purely asian stuff mixed in like Sailor Moon or "Mila Superstar" (some hadball series, I am not bothering too look up the international title) and I already hated it when they showed up using the precious slots of other cartoons.

Then later on, the Whole Dragonball and Pokemon Madness showed up. I was already about "out of the age" of watching cartoons and and saw that all the young kids were watching that, which further increased by distaste (unlike Harry Potter for example, which I felt like "Ok, at least some are reading something decent", though I never read it myself).

Anyways, I watched a couple of Anime which I liked, Ghost in the Shell and Jin Roh, to name two. Though I think there aren't more than 5 or so total which I like so far.

To me the sillyness is what puts me off and the Series "Death Note" is the perfect example for those who saw it. I liked the series as long as it was somewhat "realistic" and grim. But as soon as the girlfriend with her n_n -eyes showed up, giggling and doing idiotic stuff, they lost me.

And now, my most recent encounter is when I joined a facebook group of geeks and gamers 30+.
And I am encountering so much anime stuff on the one hand, and hype of mainstream games on the other, that I considered quitting it now and then.
It's weird that I am feeling like an alien in this kind of group. But apparently the meaning of "geek" is also somewhat different now than it was some years ago.

Then again, maybe I was living in a bubble where everybody I know disliked anime.

I am born 82 and grew up with Western Cartoons like Gummy Bears, Smurfs, Turtles.
And My Little Pony, Carebears, Barbie… Uggh, sorry 'bout that. :p

And Masters of the Universe, G.I.Joe, Inhumanoids…
And Bravestarr:

But that ain't anime.
Then again, maybe I was living in a bubble where everybody I know disliked anime.
This could be true.

Back
Top Bottom