|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Deadfire tips/help thread

Default Deadfire tips/help thread

December 23rd, 2018, 21:30
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I'm not sure what "powers" do in Deadfire (sounds like extra resource required for class specific abilities?) but I certainly enjoyed hell out of Kingmaker skills and abilities. I don't think you were far into Kingmaker yet?
Around Chapter three - but I did study the classes

Powers are essentially active powers that you manually activate during combat.

In any rate, good to hear you are enthused over Deadfire - let's see if I end up enjoying it too
Keep in mind that I'm not as big a fan of the genre as you seem to be. I prefer a more modern take on CRPGs - but I'd say PoE 2 and Kingmaker are close to equal - but in different ways.

Kingmaker will probably win overall once it's fully polished and all DLC is out, but that's because I'm deeply in love with D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder is close enough.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

December 28th, 2018, 06:51
With all the DLC out, I'm finally getting around to character creation. And, damn it if there aren't an overwhelming number of permutations of multiclasses to consider. Not since Icewind Dale's 3.5 ruleset has char creation been this daunting!

Exciting nevertheless.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 4th, 2019, 14:41
It's excellent. I especially like how it's possible to mix and match. I seem to recall making a fantastic Paladin/Wizard and Monk/Druid. Can't remember the specializations.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

January 7th, 2019, 01:24
I've restarted about six times now. Some of the restarts were due to second-guessing my plans, and then there were a couple that I realized the ideas behind the build were based on old, since-nerfed class information.

I think Obsidian's rules and mechanics are way too generalized, especially in this Deadfire sequel. Accuracy for everything. One set of inspirations negating any opposing afflictions regardless of their respective strengths. Spells and abilities that all feel mundane since they've been balanced for usage in every encounter.

I have probably 100 hours in the game (so Steam tells me) but 95% of that is alt-tabbed doing something else because the game is just so average. I thought I was going to enjoy this game, having thoroughly loved NWN2: Storm of Zehir. But what that game had going for it was an established rule and character-building system that appealed to people who wanted to plan out an interesting (and powerful!) character. While I enjoyed the first PoE (17,000 patches after launch), I feel Deadfire's changes to an already simplistic ruleset mire the game in mediocrity.

And these incessant nerfs that make finding relevant build ideas nigh impossible don't help matters.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

January 14th, 2019, 02:26
The game is just so shallow. That is the most proper description for it in my view. From companions that are "just there" to locations created simply to add simplistic padding to the game, the game doesn't create a world for you to explore so much as it creates a series of slides for you to look at and kill everything in.
  • Just now, I walked up to some random NPC and the only option beyond "farewell" is a completely incongruous "read his mind" option. It's completely out of place and only serves to as a means to rob the poor schmuck.
  • The "islands" I visit are little more than 5 minute detours with a single, contrived encounter - usually for the sake of a bounty (such lazy game design!).
  • Practically every vendor you visit has high-powered magical equipment you can simply purchase. Why bother exploring? Way too much loot with easy access.
  • Nerfs!! So many nerfs! There is just so little variation between classes with any outlier power curves getting slapped upside the head.
  • Speaking of variation between classes, who in the world of common sense game design thought it would be a good idea to make tier 8 & 9 druid spells castable from a craftable scroll by anyone with requisite arcana skill? So much for rewarding a caster class.

There's just so much mediocrity packed into this game, it's crazy. The only improvement Deadfire has over its prequel thus far is the interface. Anyway, rant done. Here's hoping Tim & Leonard continue as project leads for Outer Worlds and Josh Sawyer stays the hell away.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

January 14th, 2019, 10:20
So… do you like it?

The craftable high-level scrolls are indeed lame. I was thinking about playing a Druid in PoE 1 and carrying him over to PoE II. That takes a little shine off the idea.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

January 16th, 2019, 07:42
Right now it's firmly in the category of 'time-filler'. While there are some really fun little moments (I absolutely adore the Mirke sidekick's personality and the various ways to get rid of her… old boss), a lot of the game seems like quantity over quality for me.

I'm also not really a fan of the various factions and their motivations - it's all oddly reminiscent of the Trade Federation in Star Wars: Episode 1. Economics and trade were a mundane plot device there and so they are here as well. There's certainly more to the game than the factions but for the portion that they're front and center, I just don't really care much. Imperialism, Natives, Pirates, Former colonists, Zzzzz… meanwhile, I'm often left wondering just where in this mire of tedium my main quest is actually advanced.

Another annoyance… Megabosses. I thought I'd like them, but they are implemented so hamfistedly that they completely screw over attempts at freeform exploration. I play with "skull indicators" off (basically indicators explicitly telling you the relative power level of something before you engage it - too gamey for me), so suddenly encountering something in a level 10ish area that's intended for a player at the level cap of 20 w/ a full repertoire of gear and skills is off-putting to say the least.

So, do I like it? It's very mediocre a lot of the time in its design, so I'd have to answer that question with a halfhearted shrug. It kinda makes me want to try Pathfinder: Kingmaker to tell you the truth.

Regarding druids (as well as priests), I believe their spells were reworked to have longer recovery periods after casting, in Deadfire. Also, if you aren't aware, although they completely reworked spells to be per-encounter, they also completely skewered your versatility - you can only cast 2 spells of each level, per encounter. More mediocrity.
Last edited by Drithius; January 16th, 2019 at 07:54.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

January 19th, 2019, 01:25
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Regarding druids (as well as priests), I believe their spells were reworked to have longer recovery periods after casting, in Deadfire. Also, if you aren't aware, although they completely reworked spells to be per-encounter, they also completely skewered your versatility - you can only cast 2 spells of each level, per encounter. More mediocrity.
Eh? Only 2 casts per encounter regardless of level? So, for example, a level 15 Druid can still only cast two level 1 spells? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Did you import your PC from PoE 1? I'm having a difficult time deciding on a class because I'm trying to plan it out over both games. I've now played the prologue and parts of the first town with a Fighter, a Rogue, a Monk, a Barbarian, and a Druid.

Fighter feels too generic to me. Rogue seems ok, but it's not my favorite class from a role-playing standpoint, and I hear the recruitable Rogue is one of the more interesting NPCs anyways. Monk seems ok. Barbarian and Druid have been the most fun for me so far.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

January 19th, 2019, 01:53
You can create a "Legacy" prior to starting PoE 2. In essence, the game will go through perhaps three dozen questions regarding how you solved various quests in PoE 1.

Pure monk and wizard seem to be the best single class options. As far as multiclassing is concerned monk, rogue, barbarian, fighter, paladin, chanter, wizard are all good options. Notice I didn't include druid, priest, or cipher That's not to say that there aren't good builds involving them, but the cast and recovery times for their spells require you to know what you're going for ahead of time - it's simply more limiting. By comparison, a wizard can cast 3-5 self-buffs near instantly, turning him into an untouchable powerhouse; this makes for very viable martial class mutliclassing (at least until your spell durations run their course).

Regardless, this is all pretty subjective - the subclass mechanics and the potential they offer for multiclassing are one of the better parts of the game. You can create practically anything you want. The problem for me lies after that, wherein differences in character mechanics all get muddied in a stew of egregious balancing and RTwP chaos.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Deadfire tips/help thread