Witcher 3 Masterful Emotional scene in Witcher 3

The Witcher 3
I just played this scene one hour ago, and re-watched it on youtube, and frikkin cried again. Those that played the game most surely know which one I'm referring to.

When Geralt stumbles onto the cabin with the dwarves, and seemingly randomly finds out that Ciri is dead inside. That whole cinematic was absolutely insane for me. The music, the tenseness where Geralt tries to find the courage to walk in. He reaches her body, and turns her over and just steps back in horror, with the music reaching perfect notes, and turns away from the camera, seemingly crying his heart out. That was absolutely incredible, the way they pulled it off.

I dare say that scene, for me at least, was more impactful than anything in any other game. While I absolutely worship Last of Us, none of the scenes in that game are this intense. I'm sure the scene works perfectly since I'm very familiar with the characters, and realized that they even pulled from the books.

I do believe the flashback that the game jumps to, Geralt and Ciri running at each other in the woods, when she was young, was taken from the books, no? From The Sword of Destiny? So cool if it is.

So, any opinions from others' who've seen the scene?

I just realized something new about that scene, which also add to the way it was built up.

I just realized that before being let inside the cabin, the whole scene was given a very comical feel with the "7 dwarves and snow white" vibe, where one of them even dies very randomly by falling off a cliff. And then you arrive at the cabin, the dwarves open up and meet their Sleepy mate and only then, on a wim they mention that oh yeah, there's a dead girl inside.

I'm certain the whole dwarves plot was placed there to make you let your guard down for what was to come. Maybe a bit of mental trickery on their part, but oh so effective. When I stepped off the boat initially, I was kind of ready or preparing for them to drop a bomb on me about Ciri. But then the dwarves made me put my guard down.
Again, so masterful.

And then they took it away again, and brought her back to life. It would have been a very sad ending, if that were it. Somehow I think I even forgot that I probably have loads more to play, and that she's most certainly not gonna die. Somehow I was only in that moment, and managed to experience it properly

Agreed, that scene was amazing. Amazing use of effective camera angles, haunting music, and the flashback you mentioned at just the right moment made it wonderful. Also, seeing the normally stoic Geralt actually show emotion....priceless.

It was a good scene but….
I was pretty sure she wasn't going to be dead. If I was one of the first people to play it I might have worried, especially with that prophesy earlier saying something like I would achieve my quest but then lose it or some such. But the simple fact that the Internet had not burned down told me that CDP wasn't going to take me through a 60 hour quest only to kill off my goal.

Back
Top Bottom