The Long Journey Home & Star Traders: Frontiers

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
Hey. So I wanted to bring these two games to your guys' attention. Starting with The Long Journey Home. This is a Star Control 2 roguelike that is pretty polished up and fun to play. However, a controller is highly recommended, because the game was not designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. If you can get past that hurdle you'll find a fun SC2-style game worth the purchase price.

Second, Star Traders: Frontiers is major incline. It's a Trese Brothers game and they have crammed a ton of details into a small 300mb or so download. It's a space sim where you can trade, smuggle, pirate, play politics, do story missions and interesting quests, explore, even fight hand to hand with your hand-selected crew members outfitted with loot. It's very good and that's why I'm bringing it to your attention. It's very easy to get into but deep beneath the surface yet fun and easy to play. It's not your typical boring space sim, this one has great dialogue and story missions and a huge sandbox world to have fun in, turn-based combat as well, yet still has a deep story and intrigue. I'd say this is my favorite space sim I've tried recently.

So just a heads up on two lesser-known titles that I think some of you might find interesting. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Cheers! :party:

Who told you those are lesser known titles? I mean, you're posting it on rpgwatch, not on IGN.

Refused to buy them when they appeared just as I'll do it today. Why? Well, roguelike plus my i5 CPU is overkill for those, could as well (re)buy Nokia 3310.

Never played The Long Journey Home but I did back the kickstarter for Star Traders: Frontiers. I briefly played it a few months back, and it's constantly getting new content.

Sure the graphics are not great but it's a good game.

I've played every single Trese Brothers' game that they've put out, and I'm not sure what you mean by lesser-known, half or more of my friends have played most of their games. With these guys, I guarantee you'll at least always get your moneys' worth, assuming you enjoy the style of games they put out. I've not played Frontiers yet because I still see it patched weekly, but once I've not seen a patch in six or so months, I'll be checking it out.

Oh, and do sponsor any kick starter or other projects that these fellows are behind. They simply deliver the goods, you'll not have to worry about a product just not showing up!!

I just meant lesser known in that they seem to not be getting a lot of fanfare at the moment, especially The Long Journey Home, which is a couple years old. It's a game that borrows a lot from Ur-Quan Masters in a good way, and it's compelling enough to purchase. Not sure many people know how good these 2 games are which is why I made the post, they really are both quality titles that I was surprised to see how good they both were. Star Traders: Frontiers especially, as Couch said the graphics are not great but it's a very good game with a lot of details to play around with. If you value fun and fluid gameplay in a space sim then ST:F will be your kind of game. If you want a more action-oriented Star Control 2 like experience than TLJH fits the bill there. Two games worth of some more praise. :)

Back
Top Bottom