Shortlisting the GOTY 2019 - Released - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Shortlisting the GOTY 2019 - Released

Default Shortlisting the GOTY 2019 - Released

January 10th, 2020, 05:40
Man, weak year for RPGs. I've only played a small few of those, and I think Phoenix Point is my favorite, though I don't really consider it an RPG. *shrugs*
Capt. Huggy Face is offline

Capt. Huggy Face

Capt. Huggy Face's Avatar
Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#21

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 06:37
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Man, weak year for RPGs.
Oh good, maybe I can catch up a little!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#22

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 08:10
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Steams game of the year was Sekiro. Maybe chuck that on the list and see what happens?
It's as much of an RPG as some of those other games, and it's more worthy than many games on that list.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Sentinel

#23

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 11:17
Do all you people have nothing better to do in life than make RPG fans thoroughly depressed?

Sekiro: Genre: Action Adventure Game
Jedi Whatever: Genre: Action Adventure Game

If you say they are 'more RPG' than XYZ game then tell us the names of those games so that they can be removed. The year is already a year of watering down to the point of near drowning, adding more water does not help anyone other than trolls.

If you didn't play or enjoy or plan to play anything then just don't vote for anything. Adding stuff to the list for no other reason than you like ticking boxes in polls is absurd.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#24

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,167
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 11:47
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
I feel Dragon Quest XI could be added.
It definetly should. While I find it mediocre, it's atrocious outdated menus design, dull story and grind will be adored by many. Here's hope DQ12 will concentrate the main story on puff-puff instead of using it as a comic relief which would make it awsome.
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
If Code Vein and The Surge 2 are to be added (they are good games indeed), I suggest Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order is added too. It's really a Star Wars skinned Dark Souls with a good story and a bunch of fun to be had if you do like Dark Souls-like games and can tolerate the Star Wars universe.
No. Fallen Order is a platformer with elements from other genres.
The story… I have no idea what's it really about as I can't stand platformers so will never play it, but I do know it features never mentioned anywhere else almost the most powerful inquisitor (#2 as the lead inqusitor commited a suicide, some others were killd and the whole "inquisition" disbanded which makes it… meh) and a nightsister (not okay, apart from Ventress these were all supposed to be exterminated/extinct at that point). I suggest opening a separate thread about this game because I'm actually interested in details what the game added to the existing SW lore only for sakes of milking.
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Steams game of the year was Sekiro. Maybe chuck that on the list and see what happens?
When I wrote Code Vein and The Surge 2 should be added I also checked Sekiro and not a single person said it's RPG, in fact quite a few stated it's *not* RPG. As I refused to buy it (unbelievable, right?), can't be sure if that's true.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#25

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 21,833
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 12:12
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
In every game you need tactics to win. I use the sub-genre name tactics RPG for RPGs that are focussed much more on tactical combat than on story and/or exploration.

In English these RPGs are often called strategy RPGs as well. In German Taktik is short term planning and Strategie is long term planning. So I prefer the term tactics.
Yes, that description of the difference between tactics and strategy is a good one. It's a bit more complicated than that of course and particularly in the realms of computer gaming genres I'd hesitate to use the phrase Strategy RPG as any game which uses strategy will invariably be more suited to the established strategy genre, even with very strong RPG elements.

In an RPG strategy can only be used if one has played through the game at least once or if one has researched spoilers on-line. Because strategy implies pre-planning, pre-meditation. Only tactics can be of the moment.

So for an RPG the only strategic aspect is character build, in that whatever build you wish to min/max is a pre-determined strategy to beat the game with. This can be extended if it's an open world RPG to include an exploration strategy to maximise specific locations at the appropriate time. And these are both things you 'plan-out' before you even start the game.

Playing an RPG for the first time blind, there's no specific strategy at all, literally everything is guesswork and hunches and genre experience carrying you through, making countless tactical decisions along the way. And these tactical decisions can be anything from combat to dialogue options.

In effect, the min/maxer turns the non-strategy game into a strategy game by breaking the game and then communicates their strategies to other gamers, infecting their games with strategy. The game itself, however, is not a strategy game in any way shape or form, and shouldn't be, upon first play.

Regards tactics, as I said, dialogue options can be tactical. You can have a non-combat RPG that is a purely tactical RPG, because you might, for example, be choosing to expose one character in order to favour another character, which suits your tactical position within the game's NPC community.

Which is why I'd shy away from using the term tactical RPG, because the word tactical is as meaningless as any other random word without additional clarification, such as tactical combat or tactical dialogue or whatever. Just saying tactical RPG is basically saying RPG.

If you want to communicate that the game plays like a more RPG'ish X-Com then that's a different kettle of fish and X-Com-like or X-Com inspired or whatever might be more fitting as X-Com has already cornered the genre market for team tactical combat mission-based game.

So if the game is not 'a bit like X-Com', in that it has most of the usual trappings of an RPG, but the primary focus of gameplay is playing a team of characters who engage in lots of in-depth and well designed combat, then I don't see why just RPG isn't suitable. By adding the 'well duh' moniker of tactical you'd be putting more people off the game while at the same time propagating the notion that tactical can only mean combat.

When I first heard the term 'tactical RPG' it was when @JDR13 used it to disparage Blackguards, to which, obviously, I argued with him. I mean, yes, Blackguards does have some tactical focus, but I wouldn't say it outweighs either story or exploration, ok, possibly exploration to a small degree but this will depend on semantics: If you imagine the game to be a first-person perspective exploration game which converts to an isometric combat map for combat then it's not much different in exploration to a Gold Box game.

I can't for the life of me understand how Blackguards would be described as a tactics game rather than just a regular RPG, and, even like myself, this whole attitude towards it is very off-putting and I didn't even give it a try until it was recommended by very specific people. I honestly don't get it, it's basically using the term tactics to be inaccurate short-hand for turn-based teamwork comabt? You mean, like, what most people refer(ed?) to as… a normal RPG?
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#26

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,167
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 13:29
Should change the title to RPG of the year if that’s the intent. GOTY can include any game from any genre.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#27

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 13:36
I am glad that Slay the Spire is included - a wonderful and addictive gem.
SpoonFULL is offline

SpoonFULL

SpoonFULL's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#28

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 13:59
Let's keep the short list of games to a maximum of 30. It is already long enough. If you feel a game should be added to that list of 30, then also say what game has to be removed in your opinion. I don't want to make the short list longer.

I'm fine with making the short list shorter though


And adding a game to the short list that isn't on the long list is not going to happen.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#29

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 14:32
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
In German Taktik is short term planning and Strategie is long term planning. So I prefer the term tactics.
Would be surprising that any german military manual used in military school teaches that way.

Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
In an RPG strategy can only be used if one has played through the game at least once or if one has researched spoilers on-line. Because strategy implies pre-planning, pre-meditation. Only tactics can be of the moment.

Tactics can only be of the moment in UgoIgo (and yet) Elsewhere, they require a global view so to plan ahead and enforce ways to favour an outcome. Reconnoissance is mandatory. It is one of the major differences and convenience brought by UgoIgo: allowing ignorance of the upcoming elements of a battle.

Elsewhere, knowing the enemy forces, the terrain or anything else is mostly wanted in order to put out adequate tactics.

As to the long term thing, once again, streaming demonstrates the opposite.
Developping builds is long term thinking. Streamers usually have no time to play a product before streaming it for a first run so they go blind.
And they get their builds correctly.
Because they follow a generic template they project against.

It is generic enough they project at ease. They already know what is coming.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is online now

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#30

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,067
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 16:43
The discussion is about the list of games and not what tactics and strategy means, so take that elsewhere.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#31

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 19:46
I think that was assumed anyway as soon as it attracted the infamous chien But now you mention it, it might make for an interesting topic. If only I could figure out a way for the thread to be unattractive to chien…
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#32

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,167
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

January 10th, 2020, 20:17
Originally Posted by SpoonFULL View Post
I am glad that Slay the Spire is included - a wonderful and addictive gem.
I love it, but good god do I suck at it.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Sentinel

#33

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

January 11th, 2020, 01:26
While I played and enjoyed both AoW: PF and Phoenix Point none of those games should be on the RPG list in my opinion, and I feel the same way about Druidstone which is more of a puzzle game to me.

This will be a hard year to choose, because I've played so few actual RPG's. And picking a winner based on it being the only (or one if the few) RPG I've played certainly doesn't seem right…
Last edited by TomRon; January 15th, 2020 at 19:16.
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#34

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

January 11th, 2020, 16:18
At least you played one. I would have to vote based on what I've wish-listed!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#35

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

January 11th, 2020, 21:13
Well, that's the thing, Slay the Spire is the only one I've played as well… but… I didn't really play it this year, I uninstalled it this year

According to Steam my first achievement in the game was attained on 20th Feb 2018 and the last achievement I earned, my 38th/44, was 26th Oct 2018 and of the 303 hours it says I've played I should think maybe 5-10% of that would have been 2019.

And then it's not really something I'd vote for in this poll anyway as it wasn't really what I'd call a regular epic RPG, or even semi-epic RPG, but just one of those games you keep on your browser to play when you're bored and don't want to get into anything long-term, you know, like firing up Minesweeper or solitaire.

And while the game kind-of has an end, a very quick one, it's more roguelike in that the real aim of the game upon completion is to do the same thing again on a harder map, to which the purpose of that is to unlock the same map but harder again, etc ad infinitum. It also has luck-based perma-death, which is another sign it's more roguelike if you were to pin it down to a genre beyond the relatively new Deck Building genre.

If I could vote for it to be in my 8th-10th place instead of being my 1-3rd then I'd probably vote for it.
lackblogger is offline

lackblogger

lackblogger's Avatar
retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

#36

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,167
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

January 13th, 2020, 14:50
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Steams game of the year was Sekiro. Maybe chuck that on the list and see what happens?
Sekiro is labeled as a Non-RPG in our database, which is why it is not in the list. I also moved the Age of Wonders and Fantasy General games to Non-RPG
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#37

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

Default 

January 13th, 2020, 15:53
Using the same method as before, tweaked with some of the feedback in this thread, I now have this list of 30 games:


Borderlands 3
Breach
Disco Elysium
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Fade to Silence
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Forged of Blood
GOD WARS The Complete Legend
Greedfall
Grimshade
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
My Time At Portia
Nomads of the Fallen Star
Operencia: The Stolen Sun
Outward
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory
Pathway
Phoenix Point
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror
Rogue Empire: Dungeon Crawler RPG
Rune II
Shenmue 3
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Sunless Skies
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
The Outer Worlds
The Sinking City
Thea 2: The Shattering
Theseus: Journey to Athens
WARSAW
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#38

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

Default 

January 14th, 2020, 12:20
Using the h-index (see discussion in the most anticipated thread), the following is the sorted long list of games:
TitleGenreNews PostsCommentsRatioh-index
The Outer WorldsAction-RPG4790718.918
Phoenix PointTactical RPG97104410.716
GreedfallRPG4065616.014
Disco ElysiumRPG473567.412
Queen's Wish: The ConquerorRPG1649929.412
OutwardRPG333339.811
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir ForestTactical RPG2125811.710
Operencia: The Stolen SunDungeon Crawler1318413.19
Shenmue 3RPG532895.49
Stygian: Reign of the Old OnesRPG281906.69
Rune IIAction-RPG261525.68
Fell Seal: Arbiter's MarkTactical RPG191236.27
PathwayAdventure-RPG10918.37
Forged of BloodTactical RPG221546.76
Rebel Galaxy OutlawAdventure-RPG11645.36
The Sinking CityAdventure-RPG261023.86
Thea 2: The ShatteringStrategy-RPG19733.66
Din's LegacyAction-RPG14412.75
GrimshadeTactical RPG11715.95
Sunless SkiesAdventure-RPG22703.05
The Surge 2Action-RPG23472.05
Bloodstained: Ritual of the NightMetroidvania RPG18643.44
Element: SpaceTactical RPG9585.84
Fade to SilenceAction-RPG6507.14
Malevolence: The Sword of AhkranoxRPG251013.94
Paranoia: Happiness is MandatoryRPG7516.44
WARSAWRPG6476.74
Borderlands 3Shooter-RPG5457.53
BreachAction-RPG5406.73
Children of MortaRoguelike9161.63
Crying SunsRoguelike6324.63
Cube WorldRPG8232.63
Eternity: The Last UnicornAction-RPG6365.13
GOD WARS The Complete LegendTactical RPG3164.03
Mage's Initiation: Reign of the ElementsRPG45541.23
My Time At PortiaAdventure-RPG8525.83
Octopath TravelerJ-RPG6284.03
Slay the SpireCard-Based RPG8273.03
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive EditionJ-RPG6253.63
Theseus: Journey to AthensAdventure-RPG6466.63
Vestaria Saga I: War of the ScionsStrategy-RPG5274.53
Warhammer: ChaosbaneAction-RPG15402.53
Age of Fear: The Free WorldStrategy-RPG272.32
Ashes of OahuShooter-RPG2134.32
Code VeinAction-RPG24140.62
Dark Future: Blood Red StatesStrategy-RPG7172.12
DauntlessAction-RPG5335.52
Dungeon Of Dragon KnightDungeon Crawler3246.02
EastshadeAdventure-RPG293.02
Everreach: Project EdenAction-RPG2165.32
Feudal AlloyMetroidvania RPG3123.02
Galaxy SquadTactical RPG262.02
HardlandAdventure-RPG3102.52
Hartacon Tactics Strategy-RPG571.22
Heretic OperativeStrategy-RPG5101.72
It Lurks BelowAction-RPG4142.82
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten CrownRPG4204.02
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredAction-RPG4112.22
Nomads of the Fallen StarStrategy-RPG2217.02
Nowhere ProphetCard-Based RPG3112.82
RobothoriumStrategy-RPG650.72
Rogue Empire: Dungeon Crawler RPGRoguelike3276.82
SilkAdventure-RPG282.72
Sin SlayersRoguelike5111.82
Six AgesRPG4122.42
SpacelandTactical RPG3143.52
SpellForce 3: Soul HarvestStrategy-RPG5101.72
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of GilgamechCard-Based RPG392.22
Streets of RogueRoguelike461.22
Swords & Souls: NeverseenAction-RPG262.02
A Legionary's LifeRPG320.51
Codex Temondera: Lost VisionAdventure-RPG330.81
Death end re;QuestJ-RPG152.51
Detective Girl of the Steam CityRPG110.51
Dungeon ScavengerDungeon Crawler110.51
Dungeons of Legend: Cast WithinDungeon Crawler1105.01
EmberlightDungeon Crawler310.21
Golden Treasure: The Great GreenAdventure-RPG220.71
IndivisibleAction-RPG1140.31
Legend of CenamaJ-RPG110.51
Life is Strange 2Adventure-RPG1105.01
Micronomicon: HeroesTactical RPG173.51
ONINAKIJ-RPG550.81
Please The GodsAdventure-RPG220.71
Quest HunterAction-RPG262.01
Rebel CopsTactical RPG241.31
Romancing SaGa 3J-RPG184.01
Second ComingAdventure-RPG251.71
Shards of AzuriaAdventure-RPG210.31
Sinner: Sacrifice for RedemptionAction-RPG330.81
Starcom: NexusAction-RPG1115.51
StaxelAdventure-RPG1110.11
Tactics V: Obsidian BrigadeTactical RPG282.71
Talisman: OriginsStrategy-RPG121.01
TanziaAction-RPG930.31
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseJ-RPG142.01
Titan OutpostAdventure-RPG173.51
To Light: Ex UmbraRPG220.71
Vambrace: Cold SoulRPG110.51
Virgo Versus The ZodiacJ-RPG131.51
Atelier Lulua ~The Scion of Arland~ J-RPG000.00
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness and the Secret HideoutJ-RPG100.00
Cthulhu Saves ChristmasJ-RPG100.00
Danger CrewAdventure-RPG100.00
End of RealmsRPG100.00
MISTOVERStrategy-RPG300.00
Sail and SacrificeAdventure-RPG100.00
The Dragons' Twilight IIRPG000.00
Zanki Zero: Last BeginningDungeon Crawler100.00

Using the h-index as criteria, the short list would end at WARSAW (27 games).
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#39

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)

Default 

January 14th, 2020, 12:48
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Sekiro is labeled as a Non-RPG in our database, which is why it is not in the list. I also moved the Age of Wonders and Fantasy General games to Non-RPG
Ahh, what is an RPG? The age old question!

Anyway, grats to Outer Worlds, I guess.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#40

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,245
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Shortlisting the GOTY 2019 - Released
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:41.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch