KoA: Reckoning - Skill at Arms

Might be a fun action game.

Jeez, is that a semi-automatic short bow??

Thanks, skavenhorde.

My sentiments echo what Zloth said. There's obviously a heavy emphasis on actiony combat in KoA, and it's much too over the top for my taste.

Some of the things in that video had me doing a facepalm. Juggling an enemy with arrows?!

If they would just change that to a repeating crossbow maybe it would make sense but shooting arrows that fast is ridiculous.

A Gatling crossbow...Yeah, I think I'll be passing on this one.

Well, you're supposed to be this unique master of fate kind of person. As such, I think it's fine with over-the-top action in the same way I found The Matrix fine. Well, I found The Matrix fantastic, but only because there was a good reason for the kind of shit that was happening on screen.

The protagonist in KoA seems to be more or less Neo in this regard. I don't think it's about swatting a few goblins here and there, on the road to becoming a dragonslayer at the end.

Not that I'm surprised they're getting this reaction, and I have absolutely no idea why they'd rate that trailer 17+. I'm guessing it's the same for the game, then?

It's almost as if they want to scare the traditional cRPG fans away, as well as the casual fans.

I still expect great things from the game, but I fear they can't succeed in terms of the marketing and business end.

Sad, because we don't get enough huge freeform cRPGs. Then again, we just had the best yet ;)

Nothing I've seen so far has attracted me to KoA. And seeing this anime-ish fighting approach is only driving me away. They don't seem to want the traditional cRPG crowd for this. But then again, its a dying breed I suppose.

Nothing I've seen so far has attracted me to KoA. And seeing this anime-ish fighting approach is only driving me away. They don't seem to want the traditional cRPG crowd for this. But then again, its a dying breed I suppose.

True, there are plenty of traditional cRPGs around these days so it's nice to inject something a little different in there.

So here's the story as I understand it with the youtube thing.

Apparently, since the game is rated "M", then the game-rating agency is imposing some restriction that all video trailers need to verify a person's age before letting them see that trailer (not that simply asking for your birthdate is actually much of a verification, but whatever). Since youtube isn't set up for, or doesn't want to ask for, everybody's birthday before showing a video, they have simply imposed a restriction that all trailers of games that are rated "M" must require you to be logged in to a youtube account before watching, since that's how they verify somebody's age.

So yeah, look for this nice little "feature" in future game trailers. Sigh...

Some of the focus reminds me of the marketing around DAO. If you have followed the Q&A with the developers, read the interviews, and been following the game (which I have) you would know there is supposed to be a whole lot of RPG depth to the game. I only say supposed since at this point I haven't actually played of course.

Marketing and art direction aside I think the game will be a great RPG, based on what I have read and seen, and suspect the marketing is along the same lines as DAO. They want to try and pull in some of the folks who like more of the flashy combat.

I do not mind flashy combat at all as long as there is also some great RPG aspects to the game. C&C, exploring, building a character, dialogue, interesting quests, and plenty to see and do. All of that has bene mentioned in various interviews and chats with the developers and designers.

On the other hand if that is all smoke and mirrors and the game turns out more like DA2 then DAO then I won't be interested. But for now I have positive views on the game and hope it will be what they say it will be and does very well.

Since Skyrim has released, my anticipation for Reckoning has dropped off a bit. I'm still convinced it's going to be a great game though, and a meaty, somewhat-hardcore RPG. I've followed the game closely for months and have seen quite a bit of it. It just looks good. Will it be as good as Skyrim? In my eyes, probably not. But it will still be a great game.

I also agree about the game being a bit "over the top". It's the opposite end of the spectrum from Skyrim, which goes for realistic. I usually prefer a realistic approach, but if the over the top thing is done well, it will still be fun in the end. So we'll see how it turns out. I do think it will scare some hardcore RPG heads off with the over the top action combat, but I think if those types really give the core game a try, they will probably be convinced that it is indeed a very meaty RPG.

Back
Top Bottom