Party Based RPGs

Well, you can create your own Party in NWN 2 with the following Mod:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=118

and use this mod to multi-class your characters and pick prestige-classes:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2UI.Detail&id=86

and then there is a cheat-code to increase the party-limit to 6 or even more characters ;)

And here is a costum party mod for NWN 1:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2568

but of course the henchman system in NWN 1 is kind of stupid...

Ok. thanks for quick responses. I have given up on the idea of finding anything similar to Wizardry and Might & Magic having reached the conclusion that they are a brief epoch in pc gaming that is never to be repeated other than such games being made by fan teams.
So rather i think i should expand my thinking to include other types of RPG While going back to the older ones now and again.

Don't discount party-based games on consoles. In particular, anyone who loves Wizardry should love Etrian Odyssey (and its forthcoming sequel) on the DS. Final Fantasy III for the DS also allows you to create and manage your own party; gameplay is something like Ultima, something like Wizardry, and overall pretty good, as long as you aren't expecting anything like Wizardry VII or VIII.

Wizardry: The Forsaken Land on the PS2 is definitely worth playing for fans of party based RPGs, although the game is somewhat hard to find.

The game is Japanese in origin, yet has a nice blend of JRPG -Western RPG flavor. I dislike most console RPGs but I'm quite impressed with this one.

A lot of people feel that way, Arma. If the npc banter, backstories and sidequests are a big part of your enjoyment of the game then missing all that will definitely take a dimension out of the experience. For me, I just don't like 90% of Bioware NPCs, so just like real life, I don't invite them to my party. ;) I can think of a few over the years that I enjoyed, like Deekin and Minsc(for awhile) but mostly I'd rather roll my own blessedly silent partners. Just me. :)

When I played BG1 the first time, it sort of annoyed me that I couldn't make my own party. I think the lack of party banter or specific NPC quests made the NPC's kind of worthless. Then I played IWD and was stoked that I could create my entire party, but I found as much as I loved IWD, it seemed to be lacking with absolutely zero interaction between the characters. Much preferred BG2 (and am enjoying BG1 with the party banter mod).

Traditionally, with the Realms of Arcania games being my first real RPGs ever - I do love party-based RPGs as well.

party-based RPGs

Try the Dungeon Siege games. There is also a game called The Devil Whiskey (google it) which is an attempt to recreate Bard's Tale. Does anyone remember a D&D game called Wizard's Crown (it was made for the Commodore 64)...my first RPG fun

When I played BG1 the first time, it sort of annoyed me that I couldn't make my own party. I think the lack of party banter or specific NPC quests made the NPC's kind of worthless. Then I played IWD and was stoked that I could create my entire party, but I found as much as I loved IWD, it seemed to be lacking with absolutely zero interaction between the characters. Much preferred BG2 (and am enjoying BG1 with the party banter mod).

You can (and thats the way i enjoy BG2 so much) create all the 6 characters by your own. Just create a multiplayer game, create the six characters, you cant save them in this stage of progress. Start the multiplayer game and save it.
Thats it. You didnt need a tcp/ip connection or anything, just start the mp-game, load youre characters, load your save game. Thats it.
Its like the party and gameplay-mechanic in IWD2. And i love it.
I AM THE MASTER OF MY PARTY. Thats the way i like to play party based RPGs.

I always wanted to play the realms of Arkania games! anyone know if they run on XP and where I could pick them up ? maybe that site GoG will have them when it launches??

I always wanted to play the realms of Arkania games! anyone know if they run on XP and where I could pick them up ? maybe that site GoG will have them when it launches??

Try DOSBOX, it runs fine with it ! :)

For anyone who wants to learn German (wasn't that you ?), the original version could be interesting, too. ;)

Wizardry: The Forsaken Land on the PS2 is definitely worth playing for fans of party based RPGs, although the game is somewhat hard to find.

The game is Japanese in origin, yet has a nice blend of JRPG -Western RPG flavor. I dislike most console RPGs but I'm quite impressed with this one.

IS the gameplay similar to the other Wizardry games, or is it more like FF series (does it have a completely linear path with combat after combat after combat, then cutscene, repeat).

IS the gameplay similar to the other Wizardry games, or is it more like FF series (does it have a completely linear path with combat after combat after combat, then cutscene, repeat).

Kind of hard to describe. The graphics, music, and voice acting are all excellent, It's definitely nothing like FF though. The combat plays out similar to the PC titles with a few twist. I suggest heading over to YouTube and checking out some of the gameplay videos.

Ultima III allows you to create all four of your players! The NES port makes it a bit prettier for the graphics too.

I just finished BG2 and I really can't imagine playing it with a custom built party. Heck even adding one or two customs to my party would be tough! I had a hard time not brining Viconia along this time! I desperately tried not to have Aerie, but I just couldn't resist having a Cleric/Mage (and I like her personality! Especially when her and Jaheria catfight!)

Now here's a thought (and I did this a little bit myself in one of my go-throughs): Use ShadowKeeper to alter the NPC's to be the type of player you want. I did this with Imoen once. I liked that she had mage skills, but since Yoshimo was the only true thief in the game (I guess he's a Bounty Hunter, but that's a specialty thief isn't it?), I didn't like that I couldn't level her up to make her a better thief. So I turned her into a half-elf multiclassed Mage/Thief! (got the idea from my IWD play where I recreated my NPC's, more or less, from BG1). This way, you get a custom party, but don't miss out on any of the banter! Sure, technically it's cheating, but who cares? This is for fun!

Still looking....

I need my make-your-own-party-fix again and I'm still looking for something new. I'm burnt out on MM 6-8 and Wiz8. Sucks ppl don't make em anymore.

I did discover Etrian Odyssey 2 on the GBA but it was a little too simplistic. I did however really like Final Fantasy 12's combat system. Wish more PC games would take note.

I need my make-your-own-party-fix again and I'm still looking for something new. I'm burnt out on MM 6-8 and Wiz8. Sucks ppl don't make em anymore.

I did discover Etrian Odyssey 2 on the GBA but it was a little too simplistic. I did however really like Final Fantasy 12's combat system. Wish more PC games would take note.

NWN2 Storm of Zehir should do it for you

I feel your pain since Wiz8 and MM7 are my top 2 games. I haven't found much, either. If you look back to older games, ToEE might suit, although I never did get terribly far in that game myself. Although it's an action-oriented game, you might find Dungeon Siege 2 fun since there's some party building min/max fun there. I haven't actually played any of them yet, but (based on some tinkering with demos and comments from others here) the Spiderweb games (Avernum series) might be the only true "build your entire party" games going these days.

At least until Cleve kicks Grimoire out his door...

As was mentioned, Storm of Zehir fits this subgenre quite nicely - even if it is a bit short.

Back
Top Bottom