Pillars of Eternity II - Beast of Winter Released

Yeah, that was a cool mage fight!
PoE II looks good, but I will wait for some kind of GotY edition. I'm in no rush here.

I was planning to wait as well, but after the review on the Watch I couldn't help myself. So far it's good enough that I'll gladly play it a second time next year.

This mentality of waiting for post-release support to finish discourages the practice of post-release support at all. It's a wonder Obisidian is providing any form of post-release support after how well the game sold, and even more amazing is the extent of it.

This mentality of waiting for post-release support to finish discourages the practice of post-release support at all. It's a wonder Obisidian is providing any form of post-release support after how well the game sold, and even more amazing is the extent of it.
Then go back to the old days of gaming with expansion packs released a year, or two later. As all modern day post-release DLC does is make others wait for a full package.

So wait two years instead of two months to release extra content? How's that better?

The old days of gaming sucked. If a game was released buggy or with cut content, that was it. You didn't have several more years of patches and DLC to improve it.

That's not true at all. Well it depends what you mean by 'old days'. Certainly by very late 1990's and early 2000's you were getting patches several years after release. Also as @Couchpotato; said you got full expansions instead of expansions broken into a bunch of small dlcs. I prefer the larger expansions that moved the game forward rather than the dlc model that fills in the blank in various part of the existing campaign.

The old days of gaming sucked. If a game was released buggy or with cut content, that was it. You didn't have several more years of patches .

Also as @Couchpotato said you got full expansions instead of expansions broken into a bunch of small dlcs. I prefer the larger expansions that moved the game forward rather than the dlc model that fills in the blank in various part of the existing campaign.
Keyword is full expansions not Small size DLC expansions which is the norm nowadays in the industry. Heck now I sound like a Luddite, but that's not what I'm trying to portray.

My point is I rather buy a full game with all content then replay a game multiple times that's all. Yet gamers say where harming the developers who made it this way.

The plus side is you usually get all the content cheaper in the ultimate bundle.

ZMTfcjk.jpg

Last game that I played that did expansions and DLC right was Witcher III. They made two large size expansions, released free DLC, and supported the game for years.

I don't agree that releasing expansions over longer time periods would cause more people to buy it at release. If Obsidian announced a huge expansion scheduled for next year, the same people would say they're waiting for a complete edition before buying.

As for post-game expansions versus DLC, that's another issue. Personally I believe the Bethesda DLC model of expanding the base game with standalone adventures works better with open worlds. Beast of Winter enhances the base game considerably.

Anyways, the point is that by waiting for support of a game to finish before purchasing, you're making it financially unprofitable to support the game at all.

Obsidian is spending a lot of time and money refining a game that few people bought, and arguably that time and money would be better spent on another project. If they buy into that argument, then the outcome is no new patches or DLC.

If you support developers improving their games after release, then you should support them at release. Not after two years when the complete edition is on sale for $15.

I remember getting at least a couple of patches for games on a floppy disc that came as an insert in a computer magazine.

Loved the game, but unless it's post-main story DLC, I'll prob not get around to it. Maybe ever? I'm not one to play huge RPGs more than once and mid-game DLC doesn't pull me back.

Then go back to the old days of gaming with expansion packs released a year, or two later. As all modern day post-release DLC does is make others wait for a full package.

Yep, only way to get me to play the game at (or soon after) release is to ensure that all addons only add on to the end of the game, like it used to be in the Good Old Days™. And I don't typically re-play, so even if I was to play the game before the non-end-game additions were out, I would simply just never buy and never bother with the additions.

As recently as about 10 years ago, game devs still knew how to do this right. eg: Dragon Age Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2, etc.

That said, PoE2 guys already have all my money anyway (via Kickstarter) for the base game plus all DLC, so at least in my case I guess it's no big deal.

Anyways, the point is that by waiting for support of a game to finish before purchasing, you're making it financially unprofitable to support the game at all.

Obsidian is spending a lot of time and money refining a game that few people bought, and arguably that time and money would be better spent on another project. If they buy into that argument, then the outcome is no new patches or DLC.

If you support developers improving their games after release, then you should support them at release. Not after two years when the complete edition is on sale for $15.

That’s just it, I don’t want to support devs improving thier games AFTER release.

I want to support them improving and making a stable game BEFORE release.

Needing a patch or 2 is fine but patching, balancing, DLC for 6 to 12 months is just too much. If I was 15 I’d probably love it. I’d replay the game after every patch and DLC to see the changes but I’m 46 now. Wife, kids, business, house to take care of, friends, on and on. I’m lucky to find time to play a game once.

My only option is to wait or just not play the extra content. Giving those options I’ll wait.

Lot of people talking out of their ass in this thread, grasping at straws for the sake of complaining.

Waaaaaaaah, the game has iterative content, waaaaah. Content is being added in the middle of the game, waaaah. Go outside and get some perspective please.

This is why I wait nowadays, gone is the time when playing a game on day one release is of any import to me anymore. And if I get the bloody package a bit cheaper later down the road, good on me. I've paid my money for over forty years of gaming, good luck in making me feel guilty.

Lot of people talking out of their ass in this thread, grasping at straws for the sake of complaining.

Waaaaaaaah, the game has iterative content, waaaaah. Content is being added in the middle of the game, waaaah. Go outside and get some perspective please.
Waaaaaaaah people complaining about complaining Waaaaaaaah .:p

1414546097284.png

Yes I had to be that guy.:lol:

No, the "complaining" (if you can call it that) was by Silver Coin, saying that we're hurting sales and/or support by not being willing to buy the game at release and buy all DLC as they're released. For the most part, the rest of us are just explaining why we refuse to operate that way. It's up to the game devs if they want to change the practices or not. I don't really care. It's easy enough to wait until games are complete to play them.

No, the "complaining" (if you can call it that) was by Silver Coin, saying that we're hurting sales and/or support by not being willing to buy the game at release

That's the reality though, isn't it? You can say that you don't care about supporting Obsidian, but given how poorly the game sold they need all the support they can get.

Back
Top Bottom