Path of Exile - Legion released

I've never messed with any of the seasonal stuff because Path of Exile is 100% about collecting rare runes and socketing stuff. None of the updates have changed the fact that you need to play for hundreds or thousands of hours to get good loot. The game just isn't interesting enough for this; at least to me. All of the other action rpg types have much faster levels of loot acquisition. It's just glacially slow for a game that is all about loot collection.

I had my first taste of Path of Exile during my last holidays and liked it much more than the base Diablo III experience. The combat felt challenging, I also enjoyed the darker atmospheric music more than the empty big orchestrations in D3. There's a good moody quality to the game. The best part of it all was that the character building appeared satisfyingly deep and felt like what D3 should have been instead of a series of interchangeable skills without any real stat manipulation. Thus, the slow nature of loot acquisition didn't bother me in the slightest. My only minor query was if the economy and trade system in the game would be motivating and rewarding enough to keep me returning to the game long term. I stopped when I had to go back to work a little into Act III and even remember a couple of interesting choices in the game. I'll definitely be going back to complete it at least the once.

I've played it hundreds of hours Pessmeister. I think it's a good game. It's just, in the end, the game revolves around collecting extremely rare items to upgrade your gear. I found that chasing the gear was too much effort for too little return. I'd rather play something a little less grindy.

Fair enough, that's quite a lot of hours. Maybe my evaluations will change with greater hours invested, I shall have to see. I certainly think it's a real credit to the ARPG genre and the developers from what I've played so far.

Oh yeah. It's one of the best. I just like the treasure gathering aspects of D3 the best of the arpgs. PoE wins in sheer build complexity for better or worse. I thought Grim Dawn handled loot swapping the best, etc. I had the most fun in PoE from taking the same archetype and building dozens of vastly different builds with it. I probably had 20 witches at one point.

I've played it hundreds of hours Pessmeister. I think it's a good game. It's just, in the end, the game revolves around collecting extremely rare items to upgrade your gear. I found that chasing the gear was too much effort for too little return. I'd rather play something a little less grindy.
Actually it revolves around trying out different builds, collecting better loot is just one part of this process.
You should have tried to do season content, it is more fun to try new characters every 3 months than playing same one in Standard.

Actually it revolves around trying out different builds, collecting better loot is just one part of this process.
You should have tried to do season content, it is more fun to try new characters every 3 months than playing same one in Standard.

Yep, I'm a chronic re-starter, so I have about 30 witches and a dozen scions that I've dabbled with. While I don't play hardcore, I almost always start over if I wipe :) My highest character might have been level 50 maybe, probably lower. I typically don't keep them long after a wipe. I do move inventory between toons.

I like argps even though I'm not great at them.

Back
Top Bottom