After cleaning up some mess here, look what I found :)

henriquejr

Fluminense Football Club
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello!

In line with those already traditional New Year's resolutions, I was cleaning up some mess here and rearranging some old cardboard boxes when I found them. Many of them were good old fellow companions from yore, from a time when we still had certain little pleasures in gaming's life, such as going to mall in order to buy the new, physical boxed copies of PC game releases :)

1oEERw5.jpg

• Legacy of Kain was a gift from my girlfriend, the one who would become, years after, my beloved wife.
  • I'm so sad that I couldn't find the Stonekeep hardcover booklet which came with the original game box :(
  • I had the original Diablo 1, which I gifted to a nephew many years ago :)

ZLaXXge.jpg

• I also had Fallout 1, which was also gifted to a friend of mine. I think I finished it at least twice, and that's maybe the reason I gifted it away because… if I already finished it twice then there's no reason to play it again, right? PLAIN WRONG! Fallout 1 and 2 are the kind of games which deserve to be revisited once in a while :)
  • Needless to say, you're seeing the Urban Runner brazilian cover which was sold here. Look at the phrases in greek :p
  • Urban Runner is not being sold by GOG. Then I went to Community Wishlist to add my vote for him. C'mon GOG! :)

OghO930.jpg

• Neverwinter Nights was a gift from a friend. I see that it doesn't have many fans here. Well, mind you… I finished it without using mods or whatever :)
  • System Shock Enhanced CD-ROM version. The only and one. From US Ebay :)
    I actually finished System Shock 2 prior to buying and finishing SS 1. At the time I didn't even know a game called "System Shock" existed.
  • Wizardry 8, oh my dear Wizardy 8… Now we're talking serious. My top 10 RPGs of all time will certainly include you! An excellent party-based dungeon crawler. How I loved the way the characters interact with each other, the banter and all. Great voice acting. But then it has only one, ONLY ONE fundamental design issue, which prevented me from finishing the game: the enemies' respawning. Actually, the way-too-quick enemies' respawning. You fight three crabs, go there and back, and then what?!?!? Six crabs??? And then 10 ?? The fights begin to drag and drag on infinitely… I'm pretty sure I've already expressed my opinion about this design issue here on RPGWatch. Sadly, I couldn't find a mod able to solve this issue in a decent manner. No problem, I still love you. 9 out of 10 :)

9ZHOLf3.jpg

FFI5Tws.jpg

• The originals Baldur's Gate II and its sequel plus their printed material. It's another game I really really love. Oh well! Back to cleaning, I guesses…

lE7hh6v.jpg

• Because we can't get tired of Infinity engine games, can we? :) This one has a superb writing. This game is hard to describe, you should go and experience it by yourself.

XFz1rea.jpg

FKLdlVG.jpg

• Zork Legacy Collection and its printed material, including Encyclopedia Frobozzica, always reminding us they won't produce material like that anymore :( I wishlisted all Zork games on GOG. Now, if only they get discounted on the GOG's New Year sale…

QyyH1aA.jpg

h9CpxTI.jpg

lh4fb8H.jpg

2OQc5eu.jpg

• Ultima Collection, Ultima IX and a host of printed material they have/had. Much like Zork above, they also remind us that printed material like these (map of Britannia, the Ultima cards, etc) will hardly be produced in the "digital era" we are.
  • Can you see the ad in the back of CD case? Ultima Online 2 coming in 2000? If I recall it correctly, it was cancelled, right?

Well, enough of photos :)
I have other physical games here (TES IV, Civ V, Diablo III) but they aren't old enough to bring me back those fond memories of lonely afternoons (and nights, why not?) playing games I/we all love!

Last edited:
:)

Good stuff. Part of me misses the goodies you used to get in the box.

Ah, lovely maps and manuals! The photos make me happy.

Ah, lovely maps and manuals! The photos make me happy.

Damn is that all it took!?! Why didn't we think of this earlier!

Awesome collection Henrique!
I don't have Kain, Zork's or Urban Runner.
The rest I have buried somewhere in storage. Seeing those UO CD's brought back memories. Ahhhh the fable of UO2. I wish.

Damn is that all it took!?! Why didn't we think of this earlier!

Like most men, if I am permitted to enjoy my various toys without interference, I'm happy as Larry.

Ah Throne of Bhaal. Hardest game I ever played. Winning was a lifetime achievement award I’ll never repeat!

Beautiful stuff for us RPG nerds. :) I really like the BG stuff + maps and the Brittania map.

I'm a big fan of the D&D games and NWN also, although I haven't played the NWN OC (just a few modules, which were/are really good.) I'd recommend Swordflight and Saleron's Gambit, for sure. :)

Ahhhh... the memories....

pibbur who has all of them except 2, and has played most of them (refuses to say how many - the Ultimas are of course evident from the signature).

I threw out all that junk many years ago. Don't really miss it.

I do miss the physical and tangible sensation of picking up a new game in a store, back when you didn't really have access to a lot of games. That way, it was easier to focus on that one new prize that you could barely afford.

These days, I don't have the time to experience even a tenth of my backlog - let alone all the new and shiny games coming out.

Not sure what do do about that, but.... :)

Good stuff!

I still have a huge collection, including at least two original versions of Baldur's Gate 2 and what not. Not even sure why anymore..

I still have most of these things. Ultima IX , for example.
What I don't have, though, is the Ultima Box and the Zork Box. I'm still angry over myself that I diodn't buy them.
I do have the HOMM Box, though, by Ubi Soft.

Very good collection, henriquejr - I miss collecting boxes!

I do miss the boxes. I *don't* miss going to Best Buy on "release day" and finding out that they won't ship to Kansas City for another week. Then going next week and finding they were sold out.

I threw out all my oldest boxes because they were taking up way too much space but I do still have some newer (i.e. post Y2K) stuff and some of the older things that I just got the CD cases for.

Ah, the Diablo 2 Ultimate Strategy Guide! Sheesh, I got tired of that game a third of the way through. Oh well.

Oh look, here's a little thing called Windows Vista!

I miss the boxes, and the joy of opening the package and thumbing through everything inside, especially some of the delightfully inspired manuals that accompanied these fine games. Since the last boxed game I actually purchased for my computer was in 2009, I'm quite happy these days with the simplistic downloading process. It works for me.

Ahh, nice collection there Henriquejr. 'Tis always nostalgic to see such boxed treasures on display.

Like Pibbur, I've got most of them too save for Urban Runner, which has a cover I've never actually seen before. Although, I suspect my BG2 manual is decidedly more worn and tattered than yours is. :) Seeing your pristine edition made me remember that I never did get around to tradiing/upgrading for the collectors edition - it'd be nifty just for the soundtrack cd.

I've also got the first three Zorks in original format on disk for the C64. Speaking of which, I haven't seen Lurking Grue around here for awhile...https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/member.php?u=1166. Lurking no doubt!

Loved seeing the Ultima Ascension collection and its associated goodies. The Dragon Edition of this was one of my prized and most expensive boxes from back in the day. Amusingly, I still have the virtue cards arranged in ankh formation on my wall, however, I did take down the "widescreen" mural fold out after my cat put a tear in one of the sides....swatting at the big red muppet we love as the Guardian no doubt. ;)

Back
Top Bottom