Bard's Tale IV - Released

I've no idea I'm afraid, Joxer. I'd just asked whether the code wheel was being withheld from non backers, and discovered that it's not. No idea about a digital version, but they might well just mean a PDF.

Gimme a break.
By their (and your) logic, this is digital music:

MN0063860.gif

It's not mp3 man!

Promising a digital code wheel then delivering puny PDF a player needs to print and cut instead of having a coded thing is nothing but misleading or false advertising.

Not my logic, Joxer. Just that I suspect that's what they might mean by it.

They think the word "digital" is a synonym for PDF? LOL
Whatever they ment and planned, ignorance is not an excuse.

Digital goods are supposed to be in such form you don't need to turn them into physical before "use". While you can read a digital manual or explore a digital map without printing, you can't use the code wheel provided as PDF.

EDIT:
As usual with developers' bullshit, a sort of modder to the rescue. It was very hard for Inxile to make an actual digital code wheel, it'd take years to make one so a fan took things in his hands:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/566090/discussions/0/1733213724893141045/
And Fargo wants to buy Interplay? For what? Creating PDFs?

You know I didn't back WL3 because it being transformed into MMO. Honestly I'm not regretting it a single bit now.

Last edited:
I didn't back the game because I'm not into Kickstarter as an idea generally, but I did purchase it yesterday as soon as it released on Steam. I have a decent PC with a SSD and a 1080 graphics card. After 8 hours in…

I'm loving it. The code-wheel thing sucks, I haven't used it or bothered to print it out and so far it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game. I love the combat system. Character creation is… meh. What's keeping me going in the game is the general atmosphere and combat system.

I hate puzzles, and there are lots in this game. None of them have been too difficult to figure out so far, about 8 hours in and level 10 for my characters. They're just annoying when I want to focus on the story and the combat. The story isn't bad, it's not Earth-shattering or anything like that, but it's a decent fantasy "save the world from evil" trope story. It seems to fit into the theme of Bard's Tale in general. (I'm also playing the remastered Bard's Tale 1 at the moment and having good fun with that game as well. Great remaster.)

The UI could be more polished and yes, there are bugs - but nothing that has prevented me from enjoying the game so far. I'm glad I bought it for under $40 and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth already since it's provided me with almost 10 hours of playtime/enjoyment. I'll never understand why people balk at PC game prices but have no problem dropping $5 on a latte or $50 on a dinner out which is a transitory joy at best.

I'd give it a solid B- in terms of what I expected from the game. If they iron out the bugs and improve the UI (please, please give us an inventory sorting button) - I'll be extremely happy. Then again, I'll probably be done with the game by the time they fix things, and it's not a game I think I'd play through again. It's a one-and-done kinda game, especially with the annoying puzzles I don't want to do again…

The music is pretty cool in places, too. A lot of repetition, though. The voice-acting doesn't do much for me because I can take or leave voice-acting in most RPG games, anyway. I read the text more quickly than it's spoken in most parts and just click "next" before they have a chance to finish their dialogue anyway.

(Edit to add, I'm running everything on the highest settings. It runs fine on Ultra for me, but again, that's with a 1080 and running it off an SSD. I wouldn't want to see what load times are like on a regular hard drive.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I've hit a couple of bugs, including finishing a big story fight and being unable to close the skill window so no way to navigate to a save point. Class choices feel very limited, skill tree is very streamlined, I need to see if some of the exploration songs are/can be attached to a hotkey because it's too many pointless clicks. The combat isn't bad, but I wish there were more wave battles though.

Good thing im busy with some rpgs from earlier this year, this seems like enjoyable in 2019 haha; hopefull pathfinder will be in good shape :(

One should learn by now that all released games are actually a beta game and except that. With low/realistic expectation, releases like this one are not that bad.

I expect a similar release next week from Pathfinder and will play the one that gets patched into usable state first.

I played an hour or so. First impressions:

It runs like shit. No amount of tweaking the settings makes it feel smooth. It doesn't look good enough to run so poorly. After playing MH:W, which looks and runs fantastic, BT4 sort of gives the impression that it's an amateur piece of unoptimised shit.

Not getting a Bards Tale vibe at all. I think I prefer the BT1 remaster, so far.

I also kept the starting character, Melody, so the nagging feeling I should restart and actually make a character is annoying me.

I was far more hooked on Grimrock2 after the first hour.

hopefull pathfinder will be in good shape :(

Unfortunately, as someone who extensively beta tested, it looks like Pathfinder has a multitude of outstanding bugs. I raised in excess of 50 bugs and I think 1-2 of them were actually fixed. Definitely needs another a couple of months of bug fixing.

Unfortunately, as someone who extensively beta tested, it looks like Pathfinder has a multitude of outstanding bugs. I raised in excess of 50 bugs and I think 1-2 of them were actually fixed. Definitely needs another a couple of months of bug fixing.
Yeah but funds run out and at some point you have to release a game. They also have have a publisher so that might have to do with the releases date. Just my opinion.

I didn't play the original Bard's Tale games back in the day, because they weren't commonly available here in the UK (or at least, no-one I knew ever mentioned them). I happened across Might and Magic when a friend's father brought a copy back from the US, and it is that series that forever holds a place in my heart.

However, I understand that for many folks, Bard's Tale was for them, what M&M was for me. And I suspect that audience may be the most disappointed. Conveniently, M&M also had a new-ish game (MMX) which makes for a good point of comparison

What the kickstarter for BT4 *seemed* to promise (at least from the videos I saw, and all the old-school talk that accompanied it) was (roughly) MMX with drunken bards (I'm in!). This would have been a good fit for the original series, as the BT series never moved beyond step-movement and turn-based fights. I think that the majority would have been satisfied with such a game, even if it didn't really tread any new ground (much like MMX - I very much enjoyed it, and wished there were more of it, but equally, it was never trying to be more than a poloshed indie title).

What was delivered was far more akin to MM6-9, and of those, MM9 is the closest reference point. MM9 also happens to be the most reviled/divisive game in the M&M series. MM6-9 moved the series into free-movement first-person 3D, with fixed/visible monsters but more limited initial character choices (although these did mushroom nicely during gameplay).

MM9 is the key point of reference though - it was a full-screen 3D first person game, built on a licensed FPS game engine (like BT4). it offered only very basic archtype character creation (like BT4), although this grew as the game progressed (as I hope BT4 does). It was also buggy at launch, and not really what fans were expecting (much like BT4).

Unlike MM9, BT4's tech is much more mature, so the game doesn't feel like trying to push a square peg through a round hole in the way MM9 did. Also, it's no where near as janky and unfinished as MM9 was, so it doesn't need to be as reviled as MM9. However, just like MM9, if you go in with an open mind, there's a lot to enjoy, and plenty of M&M goodness within, just not presented in the way you'd hope.

If you can enjoy it for what it is (a more polished MM9) and not for what it isn't (MMX) then you'll enjoy it. Otherwise, stick to the BT1-3 remasters. Your BT4 was Devil Whiskey (google it) or perhaps Sword & Sorcery Underworld, both are worth checking out :)

lol is joxer really this dumb or is eLARPing?

imagine not understanding how code wheels work lmao

Nah, I get it.

It should say "printable code wheel" not "digital code wheel".

I thought it would be a horrible app you'd have to alt tab and click, click, click until everything lined up, too.

You can use standard Unreal Engine 4 cvars on the game's Engine.ini file located in your AppData\BardsTale4\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder.

Do a google search for "Unreal Engine scalability settings" to get the 1st hit of their page detailing common settings for Shadows, Effects, Post-processing, Anti-aliasing, View distance scaling, foliage and other things.

With the Engine.ini file open you'll see a few lines of folder paths for the game then underneath those leave one space and type [SystemSettings], hit Enter to go to the space directly below and then you can begin copy/pasting the cvars from the webpage.

I can post the cvars I'm using if anyone wants them but they're all just cribbed from that page I'm referring to anyway.

EDIT: I also recommend (in that same folder) opening the GameUserSettings.ini file and changing the TextureQuality= to '3', then making the file READ-ONLY. This ensures that textures don't randomly change quality or shape while playing and that they always stay at 'High' quality.

Remember to also make the Engine.ini file READ-ONLY as well if you decide to insert some cvars.

Nah, I get it.

I thought it would be a horrible app you'd have to alt tab and click, click, click until everything lined up, too.

Thanks for that, I completely forgot to test on mobile browsers and of course it only half works (I made the online code wheel thingie someone linked to earlier). Just uploaded a fixed version.

No lollygagging (here).
Back to work (there).
Exactly. I need to say thanks to that person on Steam who made an actual util.

The product is so good streamers compare it to DD.

It seemed that the turn based sequence was supposed to be something else than UgoIgo, stuff like asynchronous turns or something.

Nothing like that as streamers show it.

DD? This?

Did I read some posts in this topic correctly? That even a 4.5GHz multi-core cpu and GTX 1080 Ti gpu can't run this consistently at 60FPS? Shocking.

Back
Top Bottom