The Anthem Thread

Based on the new patch feedback, a lot of players seem to have suddenly discovered just how good the game is :)

Some are just slow on the uptake, I guess.

Here's hoping it lasts.

From what I've been able to discern from the patch, load times aren't a massive improvement, but they're noticeable. I like being able to jump into the Forge and not have to wait for a slow fade-in effect for the UI. Having the UI instantly display is very handy.

Enemy shields certainly took a hit - they absorb fewer bullets before you're able to start chewing through their health.

I ran through the Scar and Tyrant Mine strongholds last night (with Luck at around 100%), and Masterworks were dropping pretty frequently. My first Scar run netted me three Masterworks in a single go, and the Tyrant Mine provided one for me.

One of those Masterworks was a rifle that ignited enemies after landing 5 consecutive shots on them. Interestingly, this ignition effect was a primer, which I didn't expect. I was surprised to see myself detonating so often, only to realize that I was the one priming every couple of seconds. This meant my combos chained to other enemies, thanks to the Colossus' inherent passive.

I began a second run of the Scar stronghold afterwards and actually had only a single item drop, but this time it was a Legendary - the Colossus Cloudburst heavy weapon.

I quickly swapped out the ignition rifle, and instantly noticed a difference in DPS. It had a built in ability to increase damage by 5%, which stacked up to 20 times for a total of 100%. Seeing as it fired very fast, I was able to reach 100% in a matter of seconds. Though after a while, I started to miss my ignition rifle. Being able to prime so often with only your standard led to a lot of comboing, and I appreciate self sufficiency.

I'm still using the same Masterwork components I obtained from two days ago, so nothing has changed much as far as javelin shield/armor.

I'm still amazed at the jump from Epic to Masterwork/Legendary in terms of power.

63 metascore, so far. Not looking good.
Anthem offers near unlimited potential, with certain features, taken separately, representing a marvel in design. Combined together and it proves to have a lot of style but very little substance.
Anthem's disjointed story, boring loot, repetitive missions, and shallow endgame are all disappointing. At least it's pretty.

I guess it might appeal to Refn fans? :p

The score doesn't mean much to me - people always seem to ride either hype or hate train without making a proper judgement themselves. It means something, of course - I still want the game I enjoyed to be well-received since there is a better chance for a sequel or a similar game in future.

In saying that though, I won't play be Anthem, purely because I don't want to use Origin. It might be something I can really enjoy (since I like Destiny 2) but I will never find out :p

The score doesn't mean much to me - people always seem to ride either hype or hate train without making a proper judgement themselves.
Metascore is from the professional reviewers, not the general public. And those dudes always seem to ride only the hype train.

I happened to have good experience with Battlenet but can't say the same with Origin :) Now I only use Battlenet and Steam.

Also, I quite liked Bliz games and played them on regular basis (WoW and D3) :p

Also, I quite liked Bliz games and played them on regular basis (WoW and D3) :p

Weren't you a huge Bioware fan for a very long time as well? ;)

Anyways, I just found it curious. I have both, and while neither are as convenient as Steam for me, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Weren't you a huge Bioware fan for a very long time as well? ;)

Anyways, I just found it curious. I have both, and while neither are as convenient as Steam for me, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

I was but I disliked all newer games that required Origin (ME3 and DA:I - I don't think DA2 required Origin?)

I did hear Origin got a lot better but I just don't want too many stuff installed on PC for no reason (hence, never played anything that require Uplay as well).

Another golden thread in the making.

Stated long time ago, everyone is going to look at the crowdfunded scene and adapt their methods.

Crowdfunded scene: releases of bareboned products, which keeps players fed with promises of new content.

When displayed by the crowdfunded scene, this trick was praised.

This product is released on the same ground: bareboned with promises of content, it is demolished.

People keep pushing for situations and cant bear the consequences. Feel so entitled they think others must endure the consequences instead.

Metascore is from the professional reviewers, not the general public. And those dudes always seem to ride only the hype train.

No. They always seem to ride the public opinion they feel would give them reading.

In this case, hatred and resentment.

Crowdfunded scene: releases of bareboned products, which keeps players fed with promises of new content.

When displayed by the crowdfunded scene, this trick was praised.

This product is released on the same ground: bareboned with promises of content, it is demolished.

That comparison does not work for me. Just look at pricing. You can expect different kinds of quality with a 3 or 4 times higher price.

Also, to provide evidence of a mismatch between the reception of two products, you'd first have to show that the feedback you observe is from roughly the same group of people.

Ok, I said fuck it and pre-ordered Anthem. Regardless of how much time I get out of it , as I'm not the kind to play purely for endgame, I've certainly spent money on worse games. So I decided to support them.

I think you'll enjoy it. I'm incredibly impressed by the combat, as it's among the best I've played in any game.

I do think Anthem needs some refinement, though, and that will come over time. I think the UI could stand to have a facelift and something like, say, a stats page, but who knows. I believe they're aware of such a proposal and working on a solution.

Regarding the video you posted, I'll have to check it out. I'm having a great time despite reviews. In fact, some of my favorite games have historically hovered around the 60/70 range.

Last edited:
Update: Masterwork drops haven't been quite as plentiful for me as they were before the patch (that could just be RNG, though). I did get the Firewall Mortar legendary to drop yesterday, however, and it's incredible. Inscriptions on it give me 75% more combo damage, which is fantastic as it's a primer ability. If I can hit two or more enemies with the mortar, I can instantly use it again, but that effect can only trigger once every 20 seconds. Still, it's handy.

I haven't been able to acquire any other legendaries, but again, I don't necessarily want to. I'd rather take my time and be pleasantly surprised. :)

Some of the inscriptions are pretty well thought out for the Colossus. A lot of them have 'Fire Rate+11%", which incentivizes the use of heavy weapons, something specific only to the Colossus. And trust me, that fire rate makes a huge difference. I'm still hopeful for the Endless Siege autocannon, but I'm happy with what I have, too.

The Storm certainly seems to be the most popular, because I'm always grouped with one or two at least every match, sometimes three. They're fantastic at being able to prime, so it's no real problems. Their inherent ability to spread status effects helps massively, too. Whenever the Storm detonated, status effects would spread and prime nearby enemies at the same time, but I'm not 100% it does that anymore.

That comparison does not work for me. Just look at pricing. You can expect different kinds of quality with a 3 or 4 times higher price.
There are different kinds of quality. This product is more expensive than the average crowdfunded product and it shows.
Also, to provide evidence of a mismatch between the reception of two products, you'd first have to show that the feedback you observe is from roughly the same group of people.

Newspapers, magazines etc have an editor's line.

For the rest, sampling is enough. Sampling and taking samples is central to polling.
Few set the roughly same group of people expectations.

Sampling is only sufficient if the samples that you compare are representative for the same group.

And I actually don't see any samples being presented.

As it must be.

The burden of the proof is a negotiation: one thing is given in return of another thing.

There is no other thing on this site.

Back
Top Bottom