RPG Codex GOTY 2018 Results

For a great while the toxic waste dump heaves and bubbles. Suddenly a badly damaged scroll is spat out along the edge, glowing green with self-import. Special gloves and tongs are acquired for safe handling.

What a shock; an Obsidian game is not in the top 3. The Sawyer vendetta lives on. Still, the PoE2 bubble is in the upper right quadrant, so that's something.

Heartbeat came in with a ~100% approval rating and ~0% played. Funny dat. :p

Heartbeat came in with a ~100% approval rating and ~0% played. Funny dat. :p
I was wondering if the developer popped in and gave it a 4.

That's an obvious problem of this voting system, if you rate each game individually. It has advantages of course, but I prefer systems with more limited votes. For instance the RPGwatch GOTY.

Asking 100 questions instead of 3 questions will make interpreting the answers in a reasonable way much more difficult.

(Or did I get their system wrong? :p)

What a shock; an Obsidian game is not in the top 3. The Sawyer vendetta lives on. Still, the PoE2 bubble is in the upper right quadrant, so that's something.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that with Avellone; for me, PoE: Deadfire is simply a very average game.

The codex has surprisingly poor taste in games as a whole. or at least isn't very efficient at managing its userbase.

Asking 100 questions instead of 3 questions will make interpreting the answers in a reasonable way much more difficult.

Reductionist options is not the answer unless you're making a very mainstream "Top 10" list where you honestly predict answers from a mile away. When you have all the choices you'll get a more granular result which, arguably, represents a site actually focused on RPGs a whole lot better. You realistically cannot check if people played all the games they've voted for, of course.

Summary: do NOT fear the graph, own the graph and make it fear you.

The problem is not "fearing" graphs, the problem is that these graphs can be very misleading.

And what use is the granularity, if all those details on one of the less known games is based on responses from 2 or 3 players?

Back
Top Bottom