Special Recognition Award:
Ugly Boy - Die Antwoord
tied with
Lose Yourself - Eminem
tied further with
Flakes - Frank Zappa

Yes, I've cheated, but who cares? ;)

Last edited:
Wait… R.E.M.'s "End of the World" didn't get into the top 1000 and was behind other R.E.M. songs!?
Hey, they’ve got five number in the top 1000 which is more than a lot of other bands.
But yeah, my personal top 2000 would be different too. Less REM, I think. :p (Though they would be in it).

Well can't pick five sorry. Have thousands of bands I listen to, and cant choose. Most of them are Hard Rock or Metal sub genres. Which I've been told is not music on this forum.

Then pick ten, but the longer your list the less chance others will listen to every song you mention. That is the main reason it is limited in this thread.
We all listen to thousands of pieces of music in our life time. And surely todays choice will be different from the one next week, next month, next year. Our mood changes, so do we, some of us.
So… I guess you just have difficulty making decisions? ;)

Hey, you are not obliged to pick a few of the ones that stick out, you were not even obliged to respond. :)

Last edited:
In no particular order…

1. Beethoven Silence. This is what got me interested into western classical music. More than that, its my go to music to clam myself!

2. The Mamas & The Papas: California Dreamin. This song is so simple so effect on so many levels. It melancholy, dreamy, nostalgic and so much more!

3. Kalinga Nartana Tillana - Now for something totally different to "western" audience! This was first composed in 6th century and its a fun little song aimed at "children". This brings back memories of my childhood. You have to listen to it from start to finish since the payback is at the end.

4. Thumri - Its romantic song and its all about the "feels" as I don't even understand some of the lyrics! Anyway I got into this song after my first real heartbreak :p Also there are many versions of this but this version (Nina Burmi ) is my favourite.

5. Kanne kalaimane - I fell sleep to this and now my daughter does too! If I am to pick just 1 song, it will be this. However, its shame that there is not good version of this on you tube. The song quality is very poor. Most people here won't understand this as the lyrics is also very important to the over all experience.

Something from Joy Division has to be in every ones top 5 or I will not look at your list :).

I may look at it but I won't agree with it ;)

You have to go with different genres. How can I measure Joy Division vs The Who vs Eric B and Rakim? Then you throw in Stevie Wonder vs Iron Maiden and I can't do it.

I spent some time thinking about it, and although I couldn't come up with my "top 5 all time favorites", here's a list that had a profound impact on me over the years. In no particular order:

Lycia - Pygmallion

Steve Conte - Heaven's Not Enough

Dark Sanctuary - Presence

The Seatbelts - Gotta Knock a Little Harder

Tiesto - UR

The one song I always feel stand out enough to earn a place on these type of lists is:
Gavin Bryars - Jesus Blood never failed me yet
Although I doubt many will have the patience to listen too the complete 25 minutes

A few others to round it out
Big Black - Kerosene
Son House - John the revelator
Coil - Ostia (The Death of Pasolini)
Current 93 - Sleep Has His House

If it wasn´t for Gavin Bryars I would be very willing to support Hastars choice above
The Big Black - Kerosine gets me to the Gavin Bryars video audio.
I searched and found this video of Big Black - Kerosine, but perhaps you had a different one in mind?

That is quite an impressing list, mprod. I had never heard any of those songs before. It has definetely an effect on me. Some are very moving. I’ll listen again later this evening. Thank you.

Last edited:
Since you asked by saying please, I guess I'll go next. :)

In no particular order:
Steely Dan - Deacon Blues
Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
Pink Floyd - Dogs (tied with Any Colour You Like, including Brain Damage and Eclipse, which I consider one long song :) )
Gil Scott Heron - Song of the Wind
Gil Scott Heron - Home Is Where the Hatred Is

And many others, but these 5 came to mind first. Subject to change when I remember others I love but haven't heard in awhile. :)

In no particular order…
Ah, yes, when making those list I thought of Western music, but your 3, 4 and 5...! Thanks! I loooove Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and Bollywood and Bangra music. Your pick is definetely something that would be in my top 100. :)

Anyway. Have to go now, so I’ll listen later to your selection again as well, and the top 5 of
Ragnaris too (did not have time to listen to any of those yet).

Well I'll try then.

Not a great selection but these are from my teenage years.

Basically Rock and other sub genres.

I'll throw in two more.

Yep I was once part of a group of kids called emo's.:biggrin:

Well I'll try then.

Basically Rock and other sub genres.
Thanks! Definetely not a list I expected after your earlier words. :) But metal would have been fine too as far as I’m concerned, Couch. Knowing that a song is special enough for someone on this forum to be mentioned in his/her top 5 ‘all time’, makes me eager to learn what’s so special about it, if it is something I have never heard of before, or if I’d normally would not listen it to from start to finish when mentioned in the ‘Currently listening to’ - thread.
And if I don’t get it, the special x-factor, the attraction, the high appreciation, I listen a second time.

You too have mentioned some really great songs, Couch, some new to my ears, they will be familiar soon, so thank you! Same goes for Fluent. Ragnaris’ selection was amazing too, I did not know any of those.

I really like listening to all of your top 5’s, all those different pieces of music that managed to get to your heart.
I think this is a great way to get acquainted with new stuff.
I am planning to look them all up in Spotify, so it will be easier for me to listen to them, more than once and it’ll allow me to do other things, though I am well aware some of your favourites make it impossible to do anything but listening. :)

Again: thank you all.

Well I started out with lite rock in the 80's and moved into other sub genres. After that I moved into metal in the 90's, and believe me it has so many sub-genres.

Here is a small taste of the metal side.

The Big Black - Kerosine gets me to the Gavin Bryars video audio.
I searched and found this video of Big Black - Kerosine, but perhaps you had a different one in mind?

That is quite an impressing list, mprod. I had never heard any of those songs before. It has definetely an effect on me. Some are very moving. I’ll listen again later this evening. Thank you.

My fault I have changed the link in the original post

Too add another, perhaps not the original punk song but anyway from 1965
The Sonics - Strychnine

Well I’ll list as well (sorry no links as very sore hands)
1. Pink Floyd - Echoes (probably the two part Pompeii version)
2. Led Zeppelin - Their cover of When the Levee Breaks
3. Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
4. Air Formation - Wasted Days
5. The Meeting Places - Same Lies as Yesterday

Now 1&2 don’t tend change but 3, 4 & 5 do change

Not bad at all, though I think I prefer the original Mad World

(though Gary Jules' video is way better) (unless you're looking for some authentic, late 80's, dancing-with-minimal-footwork footage)
Yep I was once part of a group of kids called emo's.:biggrin:
Could be worse! (Zloth narrowly resists posting an Elmo song)

Speaking of kid's music, though:

Back
Top Bottom