Question about moving current SSD to new laptop

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello, I am planning on buying a new laptop at some point in the next year, but I was wondering something.

I currently have a laptop with two hard drives in it:
- 500 GB HDD
- 250 GB SSD

I want to buy a new laptop which will also have an SSD, but I do not know if I can simply move my current SSD drive to the new laptop - and in doing so only needing to buy additional storage if required.

I am looking at Pc.co.uk and the laptop I am looking at has only one 2.5 inch bay and also an M.2 SSD Drive bay.

So my thoughts were to take my current laptop's SSD and put it in the 2.5 inch bay and get another SSD in the M.2 SSD bay.

Does that make sense ?

Any view as to whether they would install the OS directly onto the M.2 SSD ?

It all makes sense. But if the plan is to buy it next year, I don't see a reason to check stores now, not only hardware setups will change, prices will too. Okay I guess, doesn't hurt to know what's currently at the market.

Anyway, on some (desktop!) motherboards there is a problem with placing OS on M.2 because it wasn't bootable, but it's easily solved with BIOS upgrade. As you're buying a new laptop, I bet OS can be installed on M.2 without any additional hassle.
Do not take my word for it though, do check with the laptop manufacturer or store first.
Additionally, ask what bus the motherboard in laptop is optimized to use as PCI express is faster than SATA so if $ is not the problem you want PCIe one. Some motherboards can do both, but not all!
Thus when buying M.2 SSD, make sure it reads PCIe if the laptop motherboard uses only that bus for M.2, or if you accepted a laptop with only SATA M.2 bus because it's cheaper, on it's specifications.

Now I can only hope all this makes sense.
I wish you asked for desktop and not laptop. In such case I'd just say buy anything you want, if "the shoe doesn't fit" there is always an adapter like this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/slots-NGFF-PCI-E-adapter-SATA/dp/B01MXHIH5Z/
God bless desktops.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm just exploring options for now.
I am certainly going to get a laptop as I move around a lot and I have never had issues with laptop gaming. I simply have the laptop connected to a screen, mouse and keyboard when I'm at home.

Thank you for your help.

No prob, but when you choose which laptop will that be, please do post.
If only for me so I can let some steam on i7 or even worse - i9. ;)

Yep, unless you buy some funky ultrabook that doesn't have a 2.5" bay, then you should be able to do it fine. The laptop will recognize the m2 and 2.5" drive and you can choose to boot from either.

I currently have a couple Lenovo laptops that have a m2 or mSata primary drive for the OS, and a 2.5" mechanical for storage.

This is my current machine for information.

It is still running most things fine, but I tried playing XCOM2 on highest settings and that did not go well, so I assume newer games won't let me play them on high settings anymore.

That's fine for now as I'm still playing games like CK2 and Shadowrun Dragonfall :D

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Back
Top Bottom