Star Citizen Info Thread

I've expressed my skepticism over the SP campaign a number of times, but usually DArtagnan would pop up and try to convince me it would still turn out great. The video is certainly spectacular, but I'm still having a hard time shaking the feeling that it'll never truly be a full SP game ready for release.

The potential is immense though, no doubt about it.

There was something interesting in that email. It said that the roadmap TO RELEASE for Squad 42 should show up in December. I may just be seeing things but I think there might just be a tiny little light at the end of this tunnel...

I've expressed my skepticism over the SP campaign a number of times, but usually DArtagnan would pop up and try to convince me it would still turn out great. The video is certainly spectacular, but I'm still having a hard time shaking the feeling that it'll never truly be a full SP game ready for release.

The potential is immense though, no doubt about it.

For me, the SP campaign is a minor bonus.

At this point, though, I feel confident in saying Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will both be magnificent.

They have a lot of work to do - especially for Star Citizen, but I actually think SQ42 is closer to release than one would expect. Maybe as early as late 2019.

I've been trying to stay away from news, though - as I don't want to spoil it more than I have to.

I just wanted to wait until I had "proof of concept" in terms of performance technology - and 3.3 has convinced me that this is most definitely happening - and then some.

Of course, I just had to take a peak at 3.3.5 - and I must say that Loreville is above and beyond in terms of fidelity and beauty.

By far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in gaming.

They have a lot of work to do - especially for Star Citizen, but I actually think SQ42 is closer to release than one would expect. Maybe as early as late 2019.
Sounds about right. I'll be neck deep in X4:Foundations and another space game will show up that I already paid for. ;)

Sounds about right. I'll be neck deep in X4:Foundations and another space game will show up that I already paid for. ;)

Late 2019 is somewhat wishful thinking on my part, though.

But since they've actually managed to get Object Container Streaming working - that was more or less the last tech hurdle for the singleplayer game.

So, I don't see any major obstacles left.

Of course, Squadron will be a little snack compared to Star Citizen :)

For me, the SP campaign is a minor bonus.

At this point, though, I feel confident in saying Star Citizen and Squadron 42 will both be magnificent.

I've been trying to stay away from news, though - as I don't want to spoil it more than I have to.

I just wanted to wait until I had "proof of concept" in terms of performance technology - and 3.3 has convinced me that this is most definitely happening - and then some.

Of course, I just had to take a peak at 3.3.5 - and I must say that Loreville is above and beyond in terms of fidelity and beauty.

By far the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in gaming.
Aaah there's that reassurance and optimism I was looking for! Speaking of which, welcome back!

The free week is live (started 11/23).

All you have to do is make an account and download it. I haven't yet, but will give it a try tomorrow probably.

Every person who has something negative to say about it being a scam or whatever needs to go download and try it during this free week. This will either justify all the negativity or shut everybody the hell up about it.

This will either justify all the negativity or shut everybody the hell up about it.
My worry is that the game is following in Shroud of Avatar's footsteps and will be giving huge benefits to people who throw a lot of cash at the developers. I don't think seeing the gameplay will help there.

Loreville indeed looked great. Maybe because the video I saw cut some things out but it seemed to go abruptly to empty land when leaving the city. I hope they can embed it more naturally in the landscape. Add some outskirts, suburbs, outposts or satellite towns around it to make it more organic.

I do watch the development of SC with great interest. The MMO part for the technical stuff, and squadron 42 for the actual game I want to play. Lots of risks in development but that doesn't make it less fun to see all the technicalities.

For squadron 42 I guess they could get away with just one planet and its moons, maybe one solar system, but a whole universe is definitely not required for me. I'm in for the wing commander experience

Edit: hmm, normally I don't do early access but maybe I should try it in the free week. Does it run on an ati r9 280?

As I said, I've stopped following development on this one, as I want to experience everything fresh when it's finally released.

However, it was a little hard to miss that they've managed to generate ~10 million dollars in less than two weeks based on the anniversary sale.

Meaning they're close to 210 million dollars right now.

The reason I'm finding this a little amusing is that this is AFTER they enabled in-game ship purchasing, which was supposed to be the coming of doom and something they would never do, because it would ruin their money making scheme.

I mean, why would people buy ships with real money when they can just buy them in the game?

I guess the point has been made now. People are actually interested in supporting development - and not in buying fantasy objects for ridiculous sums :)

Now, I'm not one to overdo the gloaty glee thing - and I know the actual game will quiet all but the most fanatical detractors eventually - but I couldn't help but crack a smile at this.

However, it was a little hard to miss that they've managed to generate ~10 million dollars in less than two weeks based on the anniversary sale.

10 million $ is like a drop in the ocean. If it makes any difference at all then it will be because it shows there's still good money to be made by NOT releasing the game. I seriously can't believe people have not woken up to the scam. There is no hope for humanity.

Now if I gave you 10M to help develop your game I bet it would completely transform it. What would you do? Open studios all over the world and play silly tax games or maybe just one studio in your country?

Anyway, while I haven't played for well over a year it's good to see how ED is doing. The space sim crowdfunded with 3million which released on time and has never stopped growing.

10M wouldn't really do much.

If you give me 500M and 1000 talented people who will do exactly as I say for 10 years, then I will revolutionize gaming. That's a promise :)

Well, I could revolutionize gaming with 10M.

The way I see it, they haven't done anything impressive.

Yes, the ship models are great. The impractical amount of detail in the ship interiors looks fantastic in a demo. Good job to the 3D animators.

But you can fly around space and land on planets in plenty of games. Nice graphics but there's never anything in the media they release about gameplay related matters. The universe is too small to be considered a SPACE simulator. If you're not dealing with the sheer emptiness of space then it's really just an action game. What sort of action game is it? It's literally a modded up, Amazon owned, Cryengine FPS with spaceships you can use and way too big maps in a way too small universe with rubbish gameplay, performance and AI.

In GTA you can walk around and shoot guns and use 1000 vehicle types from bicycles to airplanes. There won't be a single location in all Star Citizen with as much detail and interactivity as a GTA city.

You won't land on a planet and suddenly be in Red Dead Redemption 2.

Let's just all wait for a space sim made by Rockstar. :)

It cost $265 million to make GTA V. That's one planet. Rockstar had made 4 GTA games before and knew what they were doing.

What quality content can you really expect? Split up over empty planets. Whether you drive there and shoot some cops along the way or fly there through black, empty, featureless space with a few dust particles to provide any sense of motion doesn't really matter. Go to a location, read the text, listen to the voice acting, update the quest. Legwork, distractions. I don't know what surprises you can expect but I know that no planet will be like landing in Fallout76. Why explore planets with less content than F76 or GTAV?

Like, I can play so many games. What does SC offer me that I can't get through playing multiple games? Instead of playing SC I play elite, F76, GTAV, Destiny2. So what do I want to play SC for? It doesn't have anything!

Wait and see :)

If you're this ignorant about it, then savor the surprise once it comes out.

I wish I could go into it entirely blind like that.

Back
Top Bottom