Pathologic 2 - Now Releasing in Chapters

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer learned that development on Pathologic 2 has been a struggle and that the game will now release in chapters, with the first part expected in mid 2019.

Dybowski acknowledged that some fans will be disappointed but said that Steam statistics show that the vast majority of players take the game slowly and methodically--"First one story, then the next, and much later, the third"--rather than powering through all three of them one right after the other. "We don't think it would be right to force into waiting the people who will play this game slowly, steadily, iteratively, step by step," he said.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Not a fan of the episodic release formula. Destroy it and pour salt on it.:cm:

Myeah, can't say I'm happy about it but this doesn't come as a complete surprise honestly. I've been following their updates and it's indeed clear they've been struggling a little trying to improve on the first game and keep the unique atmosphere intact.
Either way, if it allows them to release the promised game, I accept it as a necessary evil.

Weren't they also supposed to be doing a remake of the first game?

As I understand it, what they’re making is a reimagining of the first game but for whatever reason (extensive changes etc) it’s being called Pathologic 2.

I'm also one of those that got a bit tired with the episodic releases, I now simply wait for them to all be out before buying the game. It works for me, I have all the content then and can play at my own pace.

I think the logic behind chapters is to optimize development costs.
They can secure funds for one chapter, develop and release it.
They hope to recoup costs from the sales of the previous chapter and eventually this would finance the next one.

This biz model may work - but not for Pathologic 2.
This game is way too bizarre, its sales is way too limited.

As far as I know, aside from Telltale Games (and they went out of business) episodic releases have never worked for any game in any genre. First game sells all right, severely diminishing returns thereafter until the dev switches it up or goes under. Am I wrong?

As far as I know, aside from Telltale Games (and they went out of business) episodic releases have never worked for any game in any genre. First game sells all right, severely diminishing returns thereafter until the dev switches it up or goes under. Am I wrong?

I think you are right. But desperate times call for desperate measures. If sales from part 1 can get them through part 2, they've made more game then they would be bellying up because they don't have the funds to finish the game.

Why does the guy talk the whole time with his head tilted? Does he have a disability of some kind? Legit question btw, not me being nutty.

Why does the guy talk the whole time with his head tilted? Does he have a disability of some kind? Legit question btw, not me being nutty.
Probably because he's Russian and speaking English.

I've seen actors do weirder stuff to suppress accents.

Back
Top Bottom