The TV Series discussion thread

This is what I mean, they are rushing and it shows. I am not writer but may be they could have written things differently? Maybe get Dany to go with them in the first place since she very quickly and easily went after seeing just one message. We know that she has the hots for Jon so it won't be too much out of place for her to go with them? I don't know but I am sure a better writer than me could have come up with better way to tell the story!

You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. The recent episodes have been some of the best because they're finally stopped dragging the show along so slowly.

If some of you are that worried about every plot detail being "realistic" then stop watching fantasy fiction. :)

This is what I mean, they are rushing and it shows. I am not writer but may be they could have written things differently? Maybe get Dany to go with them in the first place since she very quickly and easily went after seeing just one message. We know that she has the hots for Jon so it won't be too much out of place for her to go with them? I don't know but I am sure a better writer than me could have come up with better way to tell the story!

Yes, you can accelerate the plot without doing things that don't make any sense. Being in a fantasy setting doesn't mean that you have to throw sense out the window. Imagine if this was a police drama, a bomb is set to explode in 5 minutes in New York, the protagonist learns about this in LA, and next scene he's in New York defusing the bomb. Would you be ok with that with the reasoning that the plot must move forward?

Yes, you can accelerate the plot without doing things that don't make any sense. Being in a fantasy setting doesn't mean that you have to throw sense out the window. Imagine if this was a police drama, a bomb is set to explode in 5 minutes in New York, the protagonist learns about this in LA, and next scene he's in New York defusing the bomb. Would you be ok with that with the reasoning that the plot must move forward?

Yes, let's compare GoT to a police drama because those are very similar settings and scenarios. ;)

You know what would be cool though?… If the protagonist arrived in New York on the back of a dragon!

Yeah I certainly didn't expect the Night's king to get a way to defeat the Wall in this season. The pacing is all over the place for sure, but I know that if I ever need a sprinter for any reason at all, Gendry gets the job.
After Twin Peaks, this show is still worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the spoilers tag please. Some (like me) have not seen the show yet.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. The recent episodes have been some of the best because they're finally stopped dragging the show along so slowly.

If some of you are that worried about every plot detail being "realistic" then stop watching fantasy fiction. :)

I don't care much about the realism thing. As you said, it's fantasy fiction. However they've still rushed a few things and even cut some stuff out. There's already been Jon's reunion with Ghost as well as Tyrion's reunion with Bronn, that was actually filmed, but clipped out of this season. Those would be nice to have.

I don't care much about the realism thing. As you said, it's fantasy fiction. However they've still rushed a few things and even cut some stuff out. There's already been Jon's reunion with Ghost as well as Tyrion's reunion with Bronn, that was actually filmed, but clipped out of this season. Those would be nice to have.

They showed Tyrion and Bronn together briefly when Tyrion met with Jaime. I don't think we really needed to see handshakes and manhugs. ;)

Where did you hear about a Jon-Ghost reunion?

Yes, let's compare GoT to a police drama because those are very similar settings and scenarios. ;)

You know what would be cool though?… If the protagonist arrived in New York on the back of a dragon!

But that's the thing, to me it's the same! once you give me the premise (be it magic, dragons, giant wolves, etc) things still need to make sense in the confines of that premise. I've always lauded Game of Thrones because it's one of the few fantasy shows where things make sense, but last episode destroyed that.

But that's the thing, to me it's the same! once you give me the premise (be it magic, dragons, giant wolves, etc) things still need to make sense in the confines of that premise. I've always lauded Game of Thrones because it's one of the few fantasy shows where things make sense, but last episode destroyed that.

I'm not sure why you think the last episode destroyed that as it certainly wasn't the first one to stretch the boundaries of plausibility.

Just finished Luke Cage. I was totally impressed. Surprisingly the action was kinda light but the drama felt real to me. Except for Shades, the villains seemed not totally bad. They didn't want to blow up the city or turn everyone into some kind of puppet. They didn't want to rule the world just make their share of the world a better place. Of course that meant a little bit of gun running and murder and public corruption but sometime a person gotta do what a persons gotta do.

Sadly the first season went way too long and they should have edited it down to about 10 episodes. But since I knew going in there was going to be 13 episodes I really didn't feel the stretch till the 13th episode that had a case of "Lord of the Rings part 3". Additionally they killed off the best villain far too early in the show. Great actor. Actually the acting was great all around and all the characters seemed fleshed out to me. Except Shades.

The thing about shades though was the actor who portrayed him was brilliant. They basically gave him nothing to work with as far as back story or script and yet he seemed wise, menacing, amused and dangerous with just his facial expressions. He was good and hope they flesh him out more in season 2.

Luke was great. The reluctant hero. There was one scene where he "had" to leave town and some thugs were robbing a store as he was trying to leave. His line of "Man, I don't have time for this." just hit a nerve for me. So of course he has to save the day.

So now its on to the Defenders. Right now I have Iron Fist B-, Jessica Jones B+, Daredevil season 2, A-, Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 1 A. Wilson Fisk was a good villain in Daredevil but cartoony, the villains in Luke Cage could have for the most part come out of todays front page. OTOH, the martial arts action in Daredevil is spectacular but the brute strength and invulnerability of Luke Cage is Bugs Bunny cartoony. (But satisfying).

Actually you take away the flying and X-ray vision and Luke Cage was very much like a 1950's George Reeves Superman. With all the bullets bouncing off his chest and squishing guns and knocking people out with one punch. It was kinda old timey.

I quite enjoyed Cage, and we watched the Defenders over the weekend and really enjoyed that. Netflix has some good properties to expand on, hopefully they keep the hits coming.

I completely agree with your analogy on Cage being the Netflix version of Superman....there are far too many overtures to think otherwise. Cage is, by far, the one that seems to go to extremes to make certain that innocents don't suffer, both in his series and the Defenders.

After the ending of Defenders, I think I have an excellent idea where series three of Daredevil might go, and, if I'm correct, it is one of the best stories ever written for comics. Bar none.

I think Luke Cage would have been perfect if they villains were reversed. Start with the crazy stereotypical one first and then the more complex, suave and smart one as the big boss.

I've been enjoying this season, but it is obvious how much intresting material they've been cutting now. Over all earlier seasons had much better pacing. The latest episode is a great example of this uneven structure.

Even if I wanted to accept that one guy could travel through frozen wasteland in few hours (it used to take days for night watch to make such trip), its just not beliveable since this guy has never been outside the wall. A seasoned nightwatch ranger perhaps on a horseback, but not some dude from southern reagion running, no matter how fit he was…

And then on top of that Dany flies with dragons in few hours all the way to north. I thought it was a bigger landmass, but maybe she used quick travel spell. ;)

Still those annoyances aside, it was a grand episode. I just wish HBO had given them 10 episodes per season like before. But perhaps when they release this season on dvd/blue-ray, we'll get extended cuts.

I quite liked this episode of GoT.

I mean, the writing is still pretty bad - and the characters are doing some really weird shit. I mean Arya and Sansa WTF?

I won't even get into the supreme lack of tactical sense on the part of the protagonists.

But we're FINALLY getting some pay off - and this is what I originally hoped the show would be like in terms of action and fantasy - after a bit of build-up.

I didn't expect 6 seasons of build-up :)

As to the Marvel series on Netflix, they are all more or less reluctant heroes and struggling with using their abilities. In season 2 of Daredevil I felt it becoming a bit annoying actually. Season 1 was better. Also liked Jessica Jones and am still in the process of watching Luke Cage. I'm halfway now, but I don't think it is better than Jessica Jones for me (at the moment).

I liked Daredevil the most, I think. But the religious preaching and moralising of the main protagonist becomes unbearable towards the end.

I liked Season 2 despite of this, because I think Bernthal is a fantastic Punisher.

Jessica Jones didn't do much for me. I liked Luke Cage well enough - though the most interesting character didn't survive :(

Iron Fist and Defenders were both "meh" at best.

Also, what a waste of Sigourney!

I quite liked this episode of GoT.

I mean, the writing is still pretty bad - and the characters are doing some really weird shit. I mean Arya and Sansa WTF?

I won't even get into the supreme lack of tactical sense on the part of the protagonists.

But we're FINALLY getting some pay off - and this is what I originally hoped the show would be like in terms of action and fantasy - after a bit of build-up.

I didn't expect 6 seasons of build-up :)

Its the 6 season worth of build up that is making this pay off wroth it. Otherwise many things won't have the same impact. For example,

When Jamie was charging at Dany couple of episode ago, I was rooting for both of them! It was nail biting stuff even though i know both will make it alive! This kind of stuff does not happen in many shows. Jamie was sort of a villain in season 1 and it took all this time for his character to change and get people to like him. This applies to many other characters too so the time was well spent even thought the fantasy aspect took back seat.

I only wish they had 3 more seasons so that the fantasy elements get bit more time but thats not going to happen….

It the 6 season worth of build up that is making this pay off wroth it. Otherwise many things won't have the same impact. For example,

When Jamie was charging at Dany couple of episode ago, I was rooting for both of them! It was nail biting stuff even though i know both will make it alive! Jamie was sort of a villain in season 1 and it took all this time for his character to change and get people to like him. This applies to many other characters too so the time was well spent even thought the fantasy aspect took back seat.

I only wish they had 3 more seasons so that the fantasy elements get bit more time but thats not going to happen….

I'm pretty sure a better writer or showrunner could have done without 6 seasons of nothing much happening beyond the occasional shocking slaughter and spectacle :)

In fact, I think the very first season did a fantastic job establishing the characters and the majority of the required pathos for a decent pay-off.

The remaining seasons could easily have included more of this kind of neat fantasy stuff - but Martin obviously didn't have it in him to get to the heart of the cool. Almost like he was afraid he couldn't satisfy.

He was too busy going in circles around the endless power play.

I mean, that's interesting enough - but without a plot or decent narrative to support it - I found most of it quite underwhelming. It certainly dragged for me.

I could see the stuff with Arya coming seasons ago, but I hope there is a twist.
What stuff exactly?

I always thought she'd eventually become Sansa's assassin, not that she'd clash with her. But now both of them behave like they haven't learned anything in all those years and it even seemed forced, like "drama for drama's sake", which I don't appreciate.

Then again, the Internet is full of explanation theories, e.g. that Arya is actually playing Littlefinger and made stupid "mistakes" for that reason, to draw him out in the open (letting her faces be found etc.).

Back
Top Bottom