Risen - BBQ Report and Preview @ WoR

Dhruin

SasqWatch
World of Risen's English moderator foobar has written a report about a recent Deep Silver community BBQ featuring Kai Rosenkranz from Piranha Bytes and including a preview of Risen based on some play time. Here's a snip from that:
I can tell you one thing for sure: I really liked what I saw and leaving that room with its RISEN demo PCs was not an easy thing. If you liked Gothic 1 and 2, you will probably also like RISEN and should give it a try. There are differences and also some disputable compromises for what are believed to be the requirements of the modern market. But the product as a whole is really convincing and looks very promising to me.
The article spans two pages, witha description of the event on page 1 and hands-on experiences of the early stages on page 2.
Thanks Kostaz and Ragon der Magier!
More information.

Everywhere is something to discover. Climb a roof or a rock and you may find a small money bag, a weapon, a scroll or maybe just a great view across the valley you're in. The game certainly rewards you for straying from the paths - if you can handle what you find, that is

The quote above really makes me look forward to this game. I loved the 'world design' and 'atmosphere' sections of the article.

One thing I disagree with from what the author writes about is the naming conventions used for creatures in the world. Such as 'gnomes' versus 'devious gnomes' where 'gnomes' represents your run-of-the-mill gnome and 'devious gnomes' represents a gnome associcated with some quest objective. I like that because I know to avoid any encounter with non-generic creatures until I get a quest for them. I don't like getting an automatic 'quest complete' because at some point earlier in my adventures I killed 3 devious gnomes and then later on find the quest giver to kill those 3 gnomes... for me it's just not as fun as getting the quest and then killing them. This is very subjective on my part but that's how I like it.

After this I'll preorder within the week.

Sounds promising, the only UK release date I've found is 2nd of October is that correct?

By International, do they include Australia?

I've been prepared for some "artistic" compromises for the mass market, so I'll live. Besides, I trust in PB and the exploration rewards sound great.

This is one game I'm really looking forward to :)

But no info on what food was there on the barbeque ...

Okay, thanks. ;)

I think I was reading too fast, a habit that evolved at university: scanning a text for some key words, meanwhile skipping the rest. ;)

I often fall prey to this technique, overlooking a few details. ;)

He mentioned some steaks.

3 of them actually...mmmm...steaks....

That guy must of been starving. I don't think I've ever ate 3 whole steaks before, even at a BBQ.

I liked his report and can actually feel the excitement Deep Silver has for Risen. I know he couldn't say too much, but the general feeling coming across from his preview is that there is more here than people believe.

No Meatbugs in Risen.

Risen has drug use, it might not show up in Australia, tho the publisher will try to do something about it. So they said in a recent eurogamer.de preview.
Yes, and they also said all taking a leak animations had to be removed due to problems in the UK.

But that's bullshit if you ask me, you can stab a helpless NPC on the ground and that's okay but you can't have some npc's pissing on a tree.

Last edited:
Was Overlord censored for the UK too? The minions enjoy taking a whiz from time to time, y'know.

Back
Top Bottom