Australia on fire

pibbuR

Feeling ... lonely?
How are you down under?

A pibbur who for once is concerned about apparently real problems in Oz

Last edited:
I have a few friends in Melbourne. They're saying they've been able to smell the smoke from their house in a suburb near the centre. Apparently it's been like this for a while.

So it must be really bad closer to the fire.

Hope our Ozzies are all ok (e.g. Corwin).

I'm fine where I live, though recently we had a couple of weeks where we could see little because of the smoke haze and breathing could be difficult at times. However, the current fires which are far from me are devastating. Million of animals destroyed, several entire towns wiped from the map; people being evacuated from beaches by the navy, etc, etc. There's never been anything quite as severe before.

Last edited:
Yes, its crazy stuff..

I'm also well away from the fire but its always so smokey!

Continual smoke haze for over a week so far. No one we know has been hurt and although some close shaves no lasting impact. Haze in Canberra has been far worse than most other large cities but Sydney hasn't escaped.
Next month is actually the worst month for bushfires. Current fires in NSW alone are over 100 times larger that 2019 California fires.

Thanks for asking @a pibbur; .

That is the one thing I don't miss about living in Alberta, Canada, all the summer forest fires, and breathing in toxic air for literally three to four months. May this end quickly for the Australians and I hope all of our contributors from down under are doing well.

That is the one thing I don't miss about living in Alberta, Canada, all the summer forest fires, and breathing in toxic air for literally three to four months. May this end quickly for the Australians and I hope all of our contributors from down under are doing well.

A little sensationalized there... Maybe 3 to 4 weeks ;)

Either way, we're praying for early rains for you Blokes and Sheilas.

"Today the NSW* Police confirmed 24 people had been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires."

*New South Wales. The state Sydney is in.

"Today the NSW* Police confirmed 24 people had been charged over alleged deliberately-lit bushfires."

*New South Wales. The state Sydney is in.

These people should be charged with terrorism.

In the last 4 years or so we've had a alarming increase in forest fires in Sweden during the summer, one year we had to get help from other countries to fight it, it was really bad. It seems like many of those fires were acts of terrorism. I don't think a single person has been caught though.

Terrorism!?! That doesn't make any sense at all to me. What are they trying to scare you into doing!?

How about attempted murder? Fires kill people. You start one on purpose, then you're taking a chance on killing someone. Hopefully, it is your closest loved one that buys it. Karma!

Terrorism!?! That doesn't make any sense at all to me. What are they trying to scare you into doing!?

why not turn it around and ask what reason would a person have to set the forest on fire if not to terrorize and to scare? terrorism doesn't need to make sense other than scaring and trying to kill people and/or wild life.

even if its not political (it might be, who knows) they should be charged with terrorism imo because that's what the act itself is + the harsh sentences it would bring would make a lot of sense, it would be seen as something more serious.

ISIS did go out a while back that forest fires should be used as terrorist acts btw..
https://www.firefightingnews.com/is...-to-set-forest-fires-in-united-states-europe/
+ they have already taken responsibility for several forest fires.

edit:
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-s-abysmal-fire-strategy-20191121-p53cp2.html

so its already in the know that it might be terrorists doing this (ISIS or just other crazy individuals). "the nation needs to ramp up investment in fire-fighting equipment and be prepared for the possibility of terrorists starting bushfires to try and cause mass casualties."

Last edited:
People must not forget that the amazonian forest is the lung of the planet.
No, wrong thread.

Weird how fires are received differently depending on where they hit.

Fires kill people. You start one on purpose, then you're taking a chance on killing someone. Hopefully, it is your closest loved one that buys it. Karma!

And fire is designed to kill. A long time ago, a man, a woman, a trans or whoever, spent time to design an ancestor to modern fire in order to kill people. Over history, versions over versions were bettered to achieve the purpose.
This culminated in nuclear weapons, nuclear fire and stuff.

As per the american system standards, they should be charged with crime against humanity in a trial held on the behalf of all human kind, past, present and future and taking place in the US, the beacon of humanity.

why not turn it around and ask what reason would a person have to set the forest on fire if not to terrorize and to scare?

This dangerously removes one essential component in terrorism: islam. That's opening a can of worm. The Iranians labelled all the US forces as terrorists following their ruly elimination of a high ranked member of the iranian army.

Setting fire to forests, woods is older than the new age of terrorism. Quite often, this has been performed to clear space for economic purposes like farming, real estate or whatever.

This is what is probably happening in Brazil and the new clearings will be used to pump up Brazil into a farming giant with large scale farms and stuff. It can not be terrorism as they feed humanity and they scare no human beings, maybe birds, frogs, apes and amazonian jungle dwellers.

e995x41mim941.jpg

Back
Top Bottom