[SPOILERS] Star Wars Films - Do You Prefer Prequels or Sequels?

Which post-OT Movie Trilogy do you prefer?

• Prequel Trilogy (1999-2005)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Sequel Trilogy (2015-2019)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Star Wars Ended in 1983 For Me

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

txa1265

SasqWatch
Pretty simple question, but I am much more interested in the discussion. I put spoilers in the title just to make it clear that NOTHING is off-limits in terms of content. No spoiler warnings of any type needed.

I am including OT as a poll option pure in the sense of ‘they both suck’ as I know some here feel that way.

I will chime back in with my own thoughts later, wanted to get things started for now.

Excluding the ‘other’ movies (Rogue One and Solo), cartoons and TV shows and sticking to the ‘Skywalker Saga’.

I voted for the last (third) option which is incorrect. Because I can't cut out other works as all add to the lore and Skywalker, any, does appear or is mentioned elsewhere.

I was old enough to see the original trilogy in cinemas when it first appeared. And I loved every single part of it, even the silly stuff. It felt as exactly the thing I didn't even know I needed. Something noone else dared to even try filming back then.

For whatever reason two movies titled Ewoks appeared in the wild. Dunno why, both were so silly yet I loved 'em! And will never understand why were they ditched as blasphemic and removed from SW canon.

Then Star Wars: Jar Jar Binks appeared. I was utterly disappointed. Thanks to videogames I hoped we'll see a trilogy about "distant" past. Revan's crusade, Bane's rule of two or something that was intriguing to me. But no, the movie went Vader's origin and stupid spielbergian family&friends nonsense which I never cared about.
So I didn't watch Attack of the Clones (2) nor Revenge of the Sith (3). Never will.

But these prequel trilogy movies spawned two animated series, Clone Wars and Rebels.
Clone Wars is fantastic. While not in all episodes, the major character is de facto an unknown jedi eventually betrayed not by the republic but by her teacher and the whole jedi council. It kept me excited as the original trilogy, season by season (the final season will start airing in a month and I can't wait!).
Rebels is not as exciting. It's riddled with plotholes (lost lightsabre reappears in the next episode, plotshielded doors impossible to penetrate with lightsabers, etc). Still, it's lore buildup is far better than dull Phantom Menace (1).

Then it came the final trilogy that won't be final of course as Disney needs to milk it. And spinoffs as part of that milking. Without much words, I've watched:
The Force Awakens (7) - Moses from Attack the Block saved it
The Last Jedi (8) - noone could save it
Rogue One - an utter bullshit, I want my time and money back!
Solo - a movie about idiots pretending not to be idiots, wtf?!

So disappointed in Disney's take on SW I've decided not to watch The Rise of Skywalker (9). Not now at least, maybe sometime in the future I will. Can't promise anything.

Finally there's that new show, Mandalorian. Apparently, with the same idea that runs through Clone Wars and Rebels (questbased videogame where each episode is a quest solved). Dunno about you, but I want it!
Sadly Disney+ is not available worldwide so I have to wait. Morons. Here's hope Netflix will buy SW rights from Disney as Netflix does not deliberately discriminate audience based on geographical location. If not, well. VPN to the rescue. Not before Clone Wars final season though. ;)

To sum up the on topic question. The prequel trilogy started with an annoying and not interesting movie thus I didn't want to see more. The sequel had one character I cared about in the starting movie, but dropped the ball in the second making me not interested in the final movie. Because of that, I have to admit I prefer neither - both went wrong IMO.
But stating through the third option that star wars ended for me with the original trilogy just isn't true.

Last edited:
Star Wars ended for me after the Disney purchase. I don't mean to criticize anyone who love the new movies, but they feel like they have no direction or soul behind them.

Anyway I wont go off on a rant as everything has been said on the internet already.

OT: Loved them 30 years ago and still do.

Prequels: While not a fan of several things in TPM (midiclororians and JJB comes to mind) I think the trilogy improved with every movie, and although there are some plot holes I think it tells the story of the rise of the Empire in a decently interesting way. So while I wouldn't say I love them, I think they're alright.

Sequels: Had high hopes for TFA because of all the hype and all the good reviews. Can't remember ever being so disappointed when leaving the cinema. It's like they took everything that had happened in the original trilogy and just dialed everything back. As a stand alone movie or a reboot I could accept it, but a successor that only starts over at square 1 is seriously lacking in my opinion. I still watched the second one but wasn't impressed with that one either, although it wasn't QUITE as bad as the first. Haven't gotten around to the latest one yet.

Last edited:
I still dispute the notion that the prequel trilogy is even a trilogy, because the first film is so completely detached from the other two films that I don't see how anyone could argue it is even part of the same story.

The Phantom Menace is a prequel to the Prequel duology.

From what I've heard, I've no doubt there will now be people suggesting the new trilogy is not actually a trilogy either, but rather just a collection of three random fanfiction films that happen to have been released in close order and contained characters who have the same name in each.

It's kind of ironic really, because the initial trilogy was never imagined as a trilogy, it became a trilogy because the first film was successful, which is the excuse for the relatively few plot-cock-ups of that series, while the latter two 'trilogies' were designed from the beginning to be trilogies and turned out to be nothing of the sort and absolutely riddled with hideous plot-cock-ups.

TomRon said exactly what I wanted to say already.

Liked the first two films, don't really care about any of the others. For me, the series ended with Empire. All things being equal, I'm more of a Star Trek fan, and I mean real Trek, not the current Disaster and Bad Reboots versions. I'll check out the Picard show but I fully expect to be very disappointed in that one as well.

Anyway I wont go off on a rant as everything has been said on the internet already.
But… Some of us are not interested in internet opinions!
So start talking!
:turns the lamp lightbulb into couch's direction:

It's kind of ironic really, because the initial trilogy was never imagined as a trilogy, it became a trilogy because the first film was successful, which is the excuse for the relatively few plot-cock-ups of that series, while the latter two 'trilogies' were designed from the beginning to be trilogies and turned out to be nothing of the sort and absolutely riddled with hideous plot-cock-ups.

I remember reading an interview with Lucas way back where he actually said he had envisioned Star Wars as three trilogies, where he chose to start with the middle one for reasons I can't remember. But he DID name it Episode 4 which does give some credibility to it being a larger story than just the first movie, although if course no other movies would have been made had the first one not been such a success.

But… Some of us are not interested in internet opinions!
So start talking!
:turns the lamp lightbulb into couch's direction:
No I will piss off quite a few people if I do.:biggrin:

As I really hate the new movies.

The OT is all absolutely brilliant to me. Rogue One is the only film outside of the OT which I think is watchable.

The prequels are shit. Dumb, convoluted, first draft style crap which are in desperate need of editing, and suffer hugely from the odd tone created by too much CGI.

The sequels are even shitter, visually far better but an utter travesty of a trilogy, which probably couldn't desecrate the OT & all it stood for any more if they tried. They make absolutely no sense what-so-ever, and are trash beyond trash.

I don't enjoy either but, that said, the prequels provided a few magic moments which the sequels where lightyears away from providing. Even with the toss visuals they feel like a Star Wars story in a Star Wars galaxy, whereas with the sequels they change everything so much it's like another saga (Holdo maneuver, Force teleportation, Luke's personality, Jedi traning & rles etc.).

Yoda flying round Dooku, Anakin & Obi Wan duking it out to the duel of the Fates, Darth Maul etc. there is at least some value to be found in the prequels. In the sequels there is absolutely none.

Liked the first two films, don't really care about any of the others. For me, the series ended with Empire. All things being equal, I'm more of a Star Trek fan, and I mean real Trek, not the current Disaster and Bad Reboots versions. I'll check out the Picard show but I fully expect to be very disappointed in that one as well.

...I thought you were talking about TNG when you said "the Picard show" and got a little disappointed when I googled it. Your post would have been more epic if you were referring to TNG.

The sequels are even shitter, visually far better but an utter travesty of a trilogy, which probably couldn't desecrate the OT & all it stood for any more if they tried. They make absolutely no sense what-so-ever, and are trash beyond trash.

Yoda flying round Dooku, Anakin & Obi Wan duking it out to the duel of the Fates, Darth Maul etc. there is at least some value to be found in the prequels. In the sequels there is absolutely none.

Exactly! Thank you, you said it far better than I managed too, I 100% agree.

Well, so far no one has declared any love for them so I'm pretty sure you're safe.
True but the thread starter won't like what I have to say.

My post would probably be moderated and moved to the political forum.

…I thought you were talking about TNG when you said "the Picard show" and got a little disappointed when I googled it. Your post would have been more epic if you were referring to TNG.

He means the upcoming show. Here's a scene from the last Short Trek episode which is made as TW3 trailers - a standalone ministory separate from the actual game:

EN3zvhvUEAAN0UU.jpg

It's written admiral Picard. Yes.
True but the thread starter won't like what I have to say.
Well I don't like him wasting time with handhelds instead of playing games on PC, so what. :D
Talk!
Errr... shittiest shit... Jim Sterling, is that you? :D

Exactly! Thank you, you said it far better than I managed too, I 100% agree.

Cheers dude. :party:

To simplify it. I view the OT as an amazing foursome, with 3 stunningly hot women who all do the dirtiest things you'd want, but the 3rd one isn't quite as dirty as the other 2.

I view the prequels as 3 rough house women you knock off at 2am in the morning just to empty your sack, and whilst you can't stand the smell they left on your jumper and want to leg it out of there asap, you do have a few flashbacks of fun in what was otherwise a crap night where you got beat up too.

I view the sequels as being tied up in Zed's basement and arse-raped by 3 cocaine fueled gorillas, all wearing barbed wire around their penis', whilst at the same time being forced to see the throats of those I love being slit in front of me too.

The ones that didn't have Jar Jar or Anakin for that matter.

Haha, way too much information.
@Couchpotato;, are you really going to get worse than @Falksi; just did? In that case maybe this topic SHOULD be moved to the political forum.
@joxer;, yeah, that's what I meant by the Google search, I hadn't heard of the show but was disappointed Carnifex didn't actually have a backlog with shows that are 30 years old.

The prequels were way better..

For me;
Original Trilogy
Prequels / Clone Wars series (tie)
Rebels
Holiday Special :lol:
Sequels

Rey was an absolutely terrible character, plot holes were absolutely ridiculous. Often felt like a parody. And also Rian Johnson is a terrible human being.

Back
Top Bottom