What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

We watched “Always Be My Maybe” - a smart and funny and well acted by-the-numbers RomCom that is very much saved by the charm and wit of the leads and the specific segments they brought to the film. Overall quite charming and perfect for a snowy Saturday after a long day of volunteering ...

The movie title reminds of a movie called Definitely Maybe which is a rather enjoyable movie. Not exactly a RomCom but close enough.

We watched “Always Be My Maybe” - a smart and funny and well acted by-the-numbers RomCom that is very much saved by the charm and wit of the leads and the specific segments they brought to the film. Overall quite charming and perfect for a snowy Saturday after a long day of volunteering …

The movie title reminds of a movie called Definitely Maybe which is a rather enjoyable movie. Not exactly a RomCom but close enough.
They usually are as some movies get remade with different audiences in mind. I've watched a couple that are the same, but the actors and some of the plot is different.

Sometimes the title of the movie is changed as well.

Dark Waters.
This was really draining. About the suing of the chemical company who makes PFOA.. one of many so called forever chemicals - once they get into the air or into the water its there forever (basically), poisoning everything, giving cancer and birth defects. Tests shows that 99% of the population (in US) has PFOA in them.

It's one of those movies you want to give 10/10 because it's important and horrific. But i did not have fun watching it, its something i rather would have just read about to be honest. The characters feels real, they're boring, not very likable. You can relate to them but they're not people who's fun or interesting to follow for 2h.

Watch if you're not depressed enough already ;)

Dark Waters.

Watch if you're not depressed enough already ;)
At a glance I ought to skippit because imdb says - biography, drama, history:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/

I don't care about such movies, each bore me to death.
But I did check other sources and wiki says something else - legal thriller:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

That got me interested in the story. A horror story that is still ongoing, but thanks to the movie some paid the price:
The release of Dark Waters on November 12 saw DuPont's stock price drop by 7.15 points from 72.18 to 65.03. DuPont CEO Mark Doyle, executives, and investors argued in separate statements that much of the movie was not based in fact and DuPont was misconstrued to fit the role of the enemy. Doyle also suggested possible legal action. Many of the executives with whom this movie draws fault still work, or recently worked at DuPont.
Man, I'm definetly watching it asap.
This seems to be exactly the kind of movie I respect the most, the one that has a real world impact (remember when I enthused about Silenced?). These movies have to be depressing as they speak about the rotten society and they have to be either a thriller or horror to cause a public outcry or in this case some evil company value sinking.
Thanks for bringing it up.

btw, based on what I've read seems this one is an indie. Someone please confirm it.

Indie means there is no major studio behind it making it nearimpossible to see in cinemas worldwide (only at festivals, later on optical media or streams).

Indie means there is no major studio behind it making it nearimpossible to see in cinemas worldwide (only at festivals, later on optical media or streams).

You might be right, don't remember what it said at the start (which studio).. but yes it happens.. makes a bit of sense too here since the subject is controversial and could lead to problems for the studio, maybe the big ones werent interested.

It's a follow-up sequel-like situation by the same people who made the successful film Spotlight (2015) which was a drama documentary about the breaking news of the Catholic Pedo thing however long ago that was, which also starred Mark Ruffalo amongst others.

Since spotlight was such a big hit for them, obviously, it's time for a sequel. Which is classic Hollywood but from an indie perspective.

This particular story reminds me of Erin Brockovich (2000), another drama documentary about water polluters where US mega corps play the inevitable villain.

Considering the entire notion of 'pedo-rings' was only invented a couple of decades ago I have no doubt it's "one of the most etc in history of these types of cases".

You take one specific law from one country, a law that was mostly ignored even in that country, and escalate it to a 'serious factor' above murder in the space of a couple of decades, try to implement it globally and, whoa, there's a surprise, PEDO-RINGS EVERYWHERE OMG!!!!!

But anyway, off to politics sub forum for all that nonsense. This is the movie thread.

Edit: This post responds to one now deleted.

Last edited:
Spotllight was a really good movie.

It's a follow-up sequel-like situation by the same people who made the successful film Spotlight (2015) which was a drama documentary about the breaking news of the Catholic Pedo thing however long ago that was, which also starred Mark Ruffalo amongst others.

Since spotlight was such a big hit for them, obviously, it's time for a sequel. Which is classic Hollywood but from an indie perspective.

This particular story reminds me of Erin Brockovich (2000), another drama documentary about water polluters where US mega corps play the inevitable villain.

Indeed, Spotlight is quite excellent. I really enjoy a flick that has you pondering realities days/weeks after the viewing. And making certain that I never replicate that failing of my youth, as organized religion is one of the most hideous fallacies I've ever encountered.

Just watched the The Last Man it's a portrayal of what might happen if humanity doesn't change their ways. The ending showed the main MC was correct & not crazy.

Indeed, Spotlight is quite excellent. I really enjoy a flick that has you pondering realities days/weeks after the viewing. And making certain that I never replicate that failing of my youth, as organized religion is one of the most hideous fallacies I've ever encountered.
I've deliberately skipped that one. A few friends who watched it stated that it's unbelievably boring and who was I to object? :D

But there is another movie that covers much more misdeeds than just one scandal: Clergy.
For this one imdb says drama. It's not wrong - while this movie contains elements of crime, horror, thriller, comedy and tragedy, it's one of those modern dramas where the author avoids boredom by telling stories in different ways from the bore2death drama blueprint.

This movie comes from Poland where catholic church is probably stronger than in Vatican yet criticizes many of it's current sins (don't expect witches or heretics ;)). This makes it basically like an insider info although noone from the movie is a real person.
I won't spoil it, but the movie ends by offing de facto the only positive character while everyone else profits. Just as in real world.

I say this is a masterpiece not ment for a random person:
- If you're interested in modern times catholic church told from a perspective of those who actually live with it, stop whatever you're doing and watch Clergy.

- If you can't care less about religious organizations, especially this 2000 old one, don't bother unless you don't have anything else to watch.
- If you believe the religious organizations are led by moral verticals, especially c. church, do not watch it even if your life depends on it as you'll hate it.

Just watched the The Last Man it's a portrayal of what might happen if humanity doesn't change their ways. The ending showed the main MC was correct & not crazy.
This one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312180/ ?
PTSD is still not researched enough thus putting it in a scifi movie is great idea, works as a bait for audience desperately searching for something original and exotic like me, but the execution ended up mediocre. :(
Still watchable if you don't have anything else to do.

Sandler? But that guy has no talent!
What's the movie about? I planned to skippit, but if it's not yet another dud of his I might give it a shot.

I thought it was kind of overrated, there's no one in the movie who's even remotely likable. You care for Sandler to some extent because that's the guy we follow after all, and sure, he does the role really well. It's constant screaming and rushing from one place to the other and back while everything that possibly can go wrong goes wrong (this gets predictable). But sure, he can act when he puts effort into it, i'll give him that.

This is not a bad movie, just didn't think it was as special as everyone says.

I thought it was kind of overrated, there's no one in the movie who's even remotely likable. You care for Sandler to some extent because that's the guy we follow after all, and sure, he's does the role really well. It's constant screaming and rushing from one place to the other and back while everything that possibly can go wrong goes wrong (this gets predictable). But sure, he can act when he puts effort into it, i'll give him that.

This is not a bad movie, just didn't think it was as special as everyone says.

My son (film major) said it was like a 2+ hour anxiety attack ... thought it was well done. Wife and I will likely never see it. Kudos to Sandler for stepping outside of his normal dreck (not sure I like a single movie of his).

My son (film major) said it was like a 2+ hour anxiety attack … thought it was well done. Wife and I will likely never see it. Kudos to Sandler for stepping outside of his normal dreck (not sure I like a single movie of his).

The character is an absolute ass. I don't see why i would care for such a character to any greater extent, and especially not to the degree of it almost giving an anxiety attack.

I agree that its well done for the most part, again, just felt overrated. I would have preferred a more likable character that you can relate to.

Sandler has done quite a few drama movies, he's usually not bad. He has some movies which are absolute scams of a movie too though which makes me not particularly like him. He's a bit like Nick Cage, all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom