The TV Series discussion thread

ZeroZeroZero, pretty great.. really dark and gritty crime drama. 3 episodes in and so far its a solid 8/10 for me.

Better Call Saul is still quite good, not on pair with Breaking Bad due to how incredible slow it is and not having that many interesting characters + side tracking into stuff that's just rather meh (though its been doing that since the start so..) It's a pretty weird mix of realism and something that more resembles a cartoon with over-the-top characters.. Saul is such a great character, that's what makes me come back..

Current season of Curb your Enthusiasm is decent, it still manages to be clever in ways that impresses me.

Really hyped for Kingdom S02.

Finished The Outsider. It was above average but fell short of being anything special imo.

I also wrapped up my viewing and have to agree. While it started off in an interesting fashion, the series never truly took off. It's like they tried extending a bad episode of the X-Files but failed to develop the premise or dialogue to warrant a 10 episode run.

Speak for yourselves. Picard is awsome and it's main score almost precisely fits into Voyger intro. Won't upload it on yt though so try to combine yourself.
Neat. Thanks.

I like ST: Picard. A lot. Didn't expect all the action, but otherwise it feels very wholesome to me.

Carnival Row. Its quite good and contrary to the blatantly political ads that were airing its not a vehicle for social commentary. I wasn't going to watch it but was convinced otherwise. Glad I did.

Finished Season 1 of Carnival Row. Outstanding show. I'm real surprised there is no discussion of it here.

Finished Season 1 of Carnival Row. Outstanding show. I'm real surprised there is no discussion of it here.

I loved it! Hope there's a season 2 coming out?

also watching Picard, and quite enjoying it.

And watched some episodes of Sex Education - not quite sure what to make of it, it's funny, weird and vaguely sweet with all the growing up angst. But not sure I'll watch the whole season (1 - hear there's a 2 out now).

Ughhh....I tried watching the first episode of series three, Westworld. I gave up after thirty minutes or so, what a travesty compared to the prior series, although the second wasn't all that good, imo. It's just.....no. If you can stomach it, you're of sterner stuff than I am.

I refuse to watch any of those nonprocedural shows untill all episodes are available.

Though if STD and Discard are to your liking, I expect the current series of Westworld would be just fine. If you've a penchant for non-existent plots, sloppy and amateurish directing, and a general disdain for story telling at large, most of the current telly offerings will satisfy. These days I'm finding genuinely intriguing and thought-provoking shows far and few.

I loved the first two seasons, can't know if I'll feel the same about the third one.
But the only connection between the three is - Terminator. :D

Discovery covered Federation-Klingon war at first (and pretty much failed with the main story, sides saved the day), then moved to amuse me with bootstrap/predestination time travel paradoxes and I loved the second season.
Sure the plot in the second season is Terminatorlike AI, but who even cares about that? :)

Picard went with Federation getting corrupt within itself by some romulan secret cult. There is not one Terminatorlike AI, but we'll be getting Terminators for sure in it's next season. Savior of the day is 7of9 hijacking a borg cube. What's not to like?

Westworld 1 got Terminator wannabes in the end, Westworld 2 had Terminators through it - but all in confined space. Westworld 3 should put Terminators outside. Between humans. Could be good, but I'm not touching it till the whole season is ready.

Finished the first season of Carnival Row. It took me a few episodes to warm to it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it by the end. It's a must-watch for anyone who likes fantasy and/or steampunk.

Catching up on American Gods Season 2 - I quite liked the show although I know others didn't. Alos watching Altered Carbon S2 - enjoying it so far. Haven't started on Westworld, but a friend was bitching about it so I have delayed (but then, he hates everything ;) Finished Picard...well..that has been discussed to death, so I won;t add much except to say that I quite enjoed it, depsite the erm...plot...issues.

Spencer Confidential;
Netflix Spencer for Hire reboot with Mark Wahlberg. I loved the TV show and how they fine tuned the theme song each year. Hawk (Avery Brooks: pre deep space 9) was great and with that show I had a soft spot for Boston. The Netflix Movie reboot had far more humor than the TV show but not too much. We liked it in our house and want more..

Agree - I was a big Spenser fan in the 80s, but had very low expectations for this 'TV Movie' and so was very pleasantly surprised by the new one. I do prefer Robert Urich and Avery Brooks, but the new leads work quite well, and I hope it gets some follow-ups!

I just finished my rewatch of Millennium. I also saw the X-Files Millennium episode. It was fun seeing Frank Black again, but it kind of made the Millennium universe seem more low-brow, with the whole zombies plot. X-Files got away with that sort of stuff, and I always wanted Millennium to be more serious. This sort of lowered it in my eyes. Anyways, it kind of a stretch to call it cannon.

And, as a conclusion, I liked the series. Even though it wasn't technically finished. But I did not get to see the scene I've always thought was in Millennium. I guess I was wrong about that, or I must have mixed some other film with a scene like that with Millennium.

Anyways, on to the next series.

Couchy Potatoeee

Star Trek Picard.
Really good but there truly was a major plot issue with one of the characters. This never would have happened under Paramont and its CBSeee ness really shows to me. Still, I'll be back.

NOTE: CBS all access has a free 30 days going on due to the coronavirus. All access also has freshed up Twilight Zone (original) episodes and they look great.

Avenue 5
sci fi show on HBO
mix Voyager & Gilligan's Island meshed with a heaping of Red Dwarf. It stars Hugh Laurie from House and its generally funny but kinda forced and just a tad off. And the while the story ideas are fabulous they can get a little annoying. And once again kinda forced. But Episode 8 of 9, has one of one of the most memorable scenes, ever done in a TV sit com. And with that alone I will be back for season 2.

Its weird because Will Smith is the executive producer, but it seems more like it was done by the Doctor Who folks. I marvel at its strangeness

Altered Carbon
While checking out the Netflix inventory, I noticed there is an anima movie version of Altered Carbon universe. Looked kinda like Fullmetal Alchemist style art. Movie is about an hour/10 so I'll check it out tomorrow

I've restarted Twin Peaks in a second attempt to watch season 3. I'm towards the second half of season 2. And while it's mostly great, it really starts to drag after the initial mystery of Laura's murder is kind of resolved, especially with all the secondary plot threads that don't reall have anything to do with the main plot. But I'm excited to finish it (as it wraps up nicely with the main thread being brought up again).

Then I'll get onto Fire Walk with Me, and the Missing Pieces. And then finally onto season 3.

Twin Peaks only gets better with rewatches, and the third series has truly grown on me, if you take it as a long movie rather than episodic it seems to make more sense. I'm really hoping for a fourth series at some point, or perhaps another film.

Better Call Saul is truly getting good, another stellar series will be wrapping up soon. For me it has far surpassed the prior series that it originated from, it isn't even a close contest. Well worth the time watching.

Back
Top Bottom