Coronavirus (No Politics)

E

Eye

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

There you can find interesting information about the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak:
- Symptoms
- Incubation Period
- Mortality Rate
- Age, Sex, and existing conditions of Deaths
- Expert Opinions
- COVID-19 Testing Criteria and Numbers by Country

Do you know any other interesting sites? This is the place.

In this thread you can share your thoughts about the virus too, the impact, or the (expected) consequences for every day life (like shortages), and of course you can tell us all about your personal experiences.

In case you get ill, please use this thread to keep us updated, there are a lot of people here who care about other members and would like to know how you are doing, whether you are a regular or an irregular visitor. Don’t forget to come back to tell us about your recovery. :)

Please, keep this thread free of any P&R contents, it will be deleted here.

Last edited:
What I know:

1. I have an eye infection since friday. Dunno what caused it, might as well be that particular virus. But I'll be fine - because the virus is lethal only in cases where your immunity system is weakened by other diseases.

2. It's not the new black death. If infected, the chance you'll survive is cca 98%.

3. Media loves this story as it generates clicks. It also generates irrational panic, thus prices for normally cheap face masks went skyhigh making traders happy. No reason to buy unless you're a rare healthy person in an area where everyone got sick of it. Or if you work at hospitals that don't have these masks for whatever reason - but that's what the hospital director should do, not you.

4. The virus didn't mutate yet and in it's current form is highly contageous. Not highly dangerous though. Some people who got it show no symptoms (carriers).

5. Noone is immune. Accept the fact that if you get in touch with it, you'll have to stay home and rest till your body gets rid of it by itself.

6. Best prevention: no lollygagging. Cancel all appointments, vacations, holidays, trips, whatever that includes travelling outside of your hometown. But also try to postpone any unecessary mass gatherings. Yes, noone said you should do it today - you can marry in a few months, nothing will change.

7. Coronaviruses die off by themselves during summer. This stream will cancel itself too.

8. While no direct cure nor vaccine around yet (more than 100 drugs are being tested) I've read somewhere that HIV treating cocktails work against this coronavirus too, so seriously, no reason to panic.

9. Forgot to add. If you suspect being infected with the virus (visited northern Italy last week and now you're coughing a lot for example), call your doctor to test you. You might be clean, but be fair towards your community, if you're infected there is no reason to spread it just because. Definetly stay at home till you're sure the coughing was caused by cold or something else.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sick.
Stayed at home the last 4 days (been reading all the old forums on this site :D), told my girl to not visit and to take my dogs (she wasn't too please about that).

I'm sure it's just a cold, though you never know.

EDIT: I've fever but I don't cough at all, so I think I'm good.
But still, catching a cold while the entire world is panicking about a pandemia made me somewhat nervous.

Last edited:
Ok, shit's really hitting the fan around here (Germany). ;)

Stockpiling is a fun thing to observe. Among others, it seems like toilet paper is sold out in several local supermarkets. (the cheap brands, at least)

Ok, shit's really hitting the fan around here (Germany). ;)

Stockpiling is a fun thing to observe. Among others, it seems like toilet paper is sold out in several local supermarkets. (the cheap brands, at least)

My best friends are all in Germany and one of them was complaining on discord last night that she went to do weekly grocery shopping and the shelves were half-empty. I was surprised. We have some hoarding in the US but so far not that bad.

Always interesting to hear from other countries.

My best friends are all in Germany and one of them was complaining on discord last night that she went to do weekly grocery shopping and the shelves were half-empty. I was surprised. We have some hoarding in the US but so far not that bad.

Always interesting to hear from other countries.

Yeah, it's mostly durable food products. And of course stuff like disinfecting agents. And toilet paper.

But looking at the page that Eye posted, it seems that Germany is a bit further along than the US in terms of case numbers. So you might see more of that in the next weeks? I'd also expect this to be different in other, less densely populated areas of Germany.

disinfecting agents
Don't waste money on that. Use (buy) normal, ordinary, soap.
For all I know there is no quaranteed spot in Germany which means halfempty shelves in that country are result of media spreading panic.
Even if all mortally endangered (older than 10, severely weakened immunity) go selfisolation, there is no reason for others to hoard stuff.

For all I know there is no quaranteed spot in Germany which means halfempty shelves in that country are result of media spreading panic.
Even if all mortally endangered (older than 10, severely weakened immunity) go selfisolation, there is no reason for others to hoard stuff.

There've been roughly a thousand people in quarantine, after some carnival event (in a single city, close to the border to the Netherlands).

I think about 300 people were at that event, the rest of them amounts to their families and other close contacts.

Most of them are out of quarantine by now.

Well, I hit the Haneda airport in Tokyo on 2/19/2020 in the evening a few hours after they released the rest of the cruise ship passengers. I walked right thru the Quarantine signs. Everybody had masks on but me(except of course when they were consuming beer and noodles like nobody's business) I stayed the night in the Airport hotel and flew to Chicago the next morning.

Fast forward eight days to last Friday. I'm sick, I have a low grade fever that would keep coming back all weekend and I was weak and tired but still breathing ok. Finally this morning the fever is gone. There were never any respiratory issues so I'm sure it was something else.

Same here.
Fever but no respiratory issues.

Your comment reassures me a little, so thanks. :thumbsup:

Don’t want to be the party pooper but after reading this entire page I gather there is a very small percentage that do not get a cough. Fever seems to be the number one symptom in all studies.
Anyway, regardless of whether you were infected with this particular virus, count yourself lucky you did not get respiratory problems.

The situation in The Netherlands. There have been 18 cases so far, a bit spread across the country. There is still a mystery about 2 cases: where did they get it, they have not been abroad themselves.
People infected and close family must stay indoors for 14 days. So many people, thinking the 18 cases is just the beginning, started buying (an extra amount of) stuff that may be needed, should it happen to them. Also, if many will get ill, few (web)shops will still be operative is the idea. :)

I have seen a few empty shelves myself. Items that are very popular: toiletpaper, tissues, paracetamol, soap, rice, cans, milk you can keep outside the fridge and the like. Masks (even though advised not to buy them) and desinfectants have become harder to get.

Me, I think I can last a few weeks. I have not bought the desinfectant or a mask btw. The first was sold out, I was advised to use alcohol mixed with water instead in situations where I would not be able to wash my hands with soap, like being on the road. A few people have started to use masks when outdoors, well, count me out.
I think it would be more effective if the advise would be given not to shake hands or kiss strangers/aquaintances. Like a minister advised in France.

Here is a Dutch clip about the situation in Europe (London, Berlin, Paris, Milan).
It seems the same products are popular everywhere. Well, surely not in every supermarket, I really doubt that :)

Last edited:
I didn't want to check myself to an hospital because they're really crowded right now, but I will tomorow.

Stay cool and alive, everybody.

The advise here in the Netherlands is to not contact your GP unless you have high fever. And if so, no to visit the place but to call. Then they’ll send someone to visit you instead (to make sure you won’t infect other people).
Nevertheless, GPs are getting way too many people calling having questions.

O and I edited the first link. Does it not work for you now?

It works now.;)

I'm gonna make the call.
It's a weird fever (I have shivers in my stomach, first time that happen to me), I phoned some friends and there's actually 2 confirmed cases in the city we live, and I'm actually worried now.

Bye.

I read that article and yes I had fever, chills, body aches.
And sweating. I would take mineral salts hot baths for the aches then wrap in blankets til the fever passed. It was like that all weekend and it kept coming back.
It's strange, I almost never get sick. Since I live alone and am retired, I'm sort of just self- quaranting here. The body aches came back.
If the fever comes back then I'll call my Va here in Ann Arbor( my doctor)

Since I live alone and am retired, I'm sort of just self- quaranting here. The body aches came back.
I've been quaranting too, and I generally prefer to auto medicate myself, but this time please call your doc.
I think we should stop messing around. Could be nothing, could be something.

I called my hospital and they're coming and all that story it starting to look like the intro of a good zombie movies. lol

Best wishes to the both of you, fingers crossed. My heart goes out to you, not knowing if there is worse to come must be awful.
Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom