Elex Elex tips & tricks

I stopped using the Black Hole spell because it was kinda absurd.

But I think the reason it's a big problem is due to how early in the game you gain access to it.

With the Redeemer + Ranged Weapon skill + One with the weapon + One man army + Synthetic + Killer - I dealt well over 200 damage - which is a lot more than Black Hole.

While Black Hole affects more enemies, it's also harder to use - because you need to avoid it yourself.

That's not a problem with a plasma rifle - and you get several shots in a row.

Really, it's just downright broken. Maybe you encounter some enemies later on that work differently - but they'd have to be a LOT tougher than anything in Chapter One.

My strategy for fully enjoying the game without becoming overpowered was to not join a faction until I fully explored the world. Near the end I found the Redeemer and that swung the power overtly in my favor. Its knock back is a game changer. By the time I joined the clerics I was about level 35. At that point the world starts becoming over populated by mountain trolls and chimeras and slug beasts and cyclops. So not minding having the tools to easily defeat them.

Now I am powering through the main quests and abusing elex to get all the faction skills and rounding out the other trees. Just want to finish it up now.

Playing on Ultra.
No Elix Potions.
Level 16 - Have not chosen faction yet.
Animal Trophies / Picking Locks / Crafting for skill points.
Still stuck with Rusty Axe, Scavengers Gear, Cultivators Bow.
(I have 11 awesome weapons just no stats to use them)

The game can be ridiculously hard if you play it like this. Any mainstream person that expected a Skyrim where you can max speech and thievery first so you don't miss anything and still expect to survive.... would be sadly mistaken.

I am a PB fanboy but Dart is right, the game mechanics were better in F4. Especially if you used that limited power jet pack. (Curiously you can run out of ammo but not jet pack fuel in Elex) OTOH, I keep thinking about the big a$$ budget F4 had and the tweaking they have done on their engine over the years and of course that should be the case that they have better mechanics

I'm glad PB is back in the RPG bizness and hope no, pray to see Elec 2. But frankly, G3 was more immersive the Elec.

And the music in Elex while not sucky, is no were close to brilliant it was in the Gothics. When I was in the desert in Gothic 3, the background music was perfect. I felt mystery, awe and adventure.(think female soloist) When I was in the Iceland areas of Gothic 3, it was perfect, I felt alone and cold and foreboding.(think wispy flute) In Elex, the music was simply generic background ambience. The audio director for Elex simply did not take that extra step.

I know a lot of gamers like to think of F4 as some kind of dumbed down plaything for the masses, but IMO they did a lot of things right with that game.

Elex is NOT in F4 category in my opinion, but 2 might be. And three might be better.

Note: 200 hours in Elex
800 hours in F4

800 hours in F4

200 hours of almost no grinding over the ol' the same trashmobs vs 800 hours of trashmobs respawns and sims settlements inferior to EA's Sims3?
Nice games compare you have there.

However there is something else I wanted to ask... How many hours in Blue Horizon? :D

Actually, Ive grinded more in the 200 hours in Elex than F4. The gaming space in F4 is far denser. There are probably 5 times as many vertical exploration places in F4 than Elex. In Elex you have a one gigantic apartment,a number of motel type apartments and some cliff side stuff for multi level exploration. In F4 you have a communities full of high rises, way more abandoned freeways, monorail tracks and a number of enormous corporate HQs to explore.

And yes there is respawing in F4, but in a post apocalyptic world I would expect somebody to take over a vacant space. It makes sense to me. Just like in Elex. If I kill a predator in one area, it makes sense that another predator would takes it place. Minimal respawns with limits are okay for me.

As far as the F4 sim communities. I love that. I am the world savior. I am the leader that is bringing the world back from the brink. Yeah, I am rebuilding a better world and in F4 I really am building a better world. Why did it take so long for an RPG to incorporate sim communities into world saving?

And to answer you last question 24 hours in Blue Horizon. Such a broken game but curiously very playable. I'll go back to it once I get the spoiler on where the compass is located.

And lastly a tip for Elex. I have not joined a faction and I'm doing battle in basically miners gear. My cultivator bow is level 3 and my bow ability is high but I can get wacked pretty easy. For melee I go in swinging like crazy not giving the enemy a chance to hit me then I jet back for more stamina and to get out of range then back to swinging like crazy again . . . like a real berserker.

Sometimes when I am low on hit points and stamina I take a break on a high point. And my partner finishes off the baddy. And then some of the partners throw in the guilt to level 10 and say "Hey I thought we were supposed to fight together."

With all the back stabbing I've done and kinda ditching my partner in a fight this game is AAA NUMBER ONE in making you feel the guilt. Well, that's not a tip, just me feeling a ship full of guilt.

I'm glad PB is back in the RPG bizness and hope no, pray to see Elec 2. But frankly, G3 was more immersive the Elec.

I found Elex significantly better. Even with the community patches, G3 is still broken in some ways. Plus exploration actually has some meaning in Elex, while G3 is mostly just empty caves and random crappy loot.

800 hours in F4

You mean to tell us that you've logged more hours in game released over 2 years ago than a game released 2 months ago? Shocking ;)

I found Elex significantly better. Even with the community patches, G3 is still broken in some ways. Plus exploration actually has some meaning in Elex, while G3 is mostly just empty caves and random crappy loot.

You mean to tell us that you've logged more hours in game released over 2 years ago than a game released 2 months ago? Shocking ;)

Yeah, the comparison was more about, I have a ton of experience in both games and feel my comments have some merit. I'm not some guy that read a few blogs and watched a few vids and then became an expert commentator on the game.

As far as crappy loot, that is one of the big things broken in Elex. There are hardly any good rewards for solving any of the chest puzzles. I think for the most part the treasure chest rewards are totally underwhelming. Occasionally a troll is guarding a good weapon but other than that, animal trophies net you better funds.

Yeah, the comparison was more about, I have a ton of experience in both games and feel my comments have some merit. I'm not some guy that read a few blogs and watched a few vids and then became an expert commentator on the game.

As far as crappy loot, that is one of the big things broken in Elex. There are hardly any good rewards for solving any of the chest puzzles. I think for the most part the treasure chest rewards are totally underwhelming. Occasionally a troll is guarding a good weapon but other than that, animal trophies net you better funds.

I also have a lot of hours in both games, and I don't feel FO4 is as better as some people are trying to make it out to be. In fact, without mods, I'm not sure it's better at all. They're different enough in style however that I don't think they necessarily have to be compared.

As far as Elex vs G3, I don't think its really close. The loot and rewards for exploring in Elex are head and shoulders above what they were in Gothic 3. The exploration in G3 is pretty bad imo. I'd rank it near the bottom among PB games along with Risen 2.

I'd say Gothic 3 was much more immersive to me, but I agree the exploration was rather terrible.

While I'm not trying to say FO4 is objectively better - I do think the games are very close in terms of what they're trying to do.

They're both huge open "fallen world" games - with the emphasis on multiple factions and, especially, freeform exploration.

They're closer in style than, say, Skyrim and Witcher 3 - I would say.

Anyway, when I talk about FO4 - I strictly talk about Survival - because that's necessary to get a compelling experience, mechanically speaking.

What Elex does very differently is about the power curve - as well as the systems.

In FO4 - you don't find weapons you can't use, because they're not tied into your stats. You can find weapons from the beginning that are relatively close in power to the best weapons - which is a lot more plausible on top. But, given the Legendary weapon system - there's always going to be that perfect weapon combination that you can potentially find - and there's a ton of variety when it comes to armor and various trinkets throughout the game.

Also, the systems are less linear and simplistic when it comes to armor and damage models - meaning the tougher enemies aren't straight-up bullet sponges (though they're closer to that in non-Survival Vanilla on harder difficulties - which is part of why you should always play Survival), and you can kill 99% of them using a decent weapon if you approach them in the right way.

So, you don't get that from-nothing-to-godhood experience in FO4. You do get a constant and tangible sense of progression, though. The Perk system ensures meaningful upgrades almost indefinitely. Certainly for many hundreds of hours - which is just fantastic, given the scope of the game.

At least to me, that's a big part of why I can play for hundreds of hours and never feel like I've reached the peak or anywhere near it.

Personally, I really do enjoy getting my ass handed to me in the beginning of a game, and in that way PB games are superior. I just think Elex overdid it and made the start too long.

I suspect a lot of people fall in love with Elex right around the time they start being able to defeat enemies - because it's so satisfying.

However, I don't personally find it to be a compelling design choice - and it's rather a cheap trick when there's really no personal skill involved. When you sit down and think about it - it's really just a barrier of entry that's entirely about penetrating armor and doing damage, and they've simply set that marker so late in the beginning so that it promotes a big sense of relief and satisfaction.

But it doesn't feel like a carefully laid out plan by the designers. To me, it feels like an arbitrary mark that they might not even have intended, given how clumsy the game feels in many other ways.

I would have preferred something closer to Gothic and Risen - where you can defeat the majority of enemies you come up against in the beginning - as well as the beginning quests. Not sure how, but those games were much better at signaling when an enemy was too powerful for you.

So, there's that.

When it comes to longevity, combat, stealth, loot, exploration and so forth - as I said, I don't think there's a contest.

Of course, since I'm a huge stealth fan - it goes without saying the Elex would never satisfy here.

I think the core combat gameplay is just vastly more satisfying. Everything from pure gunplay to music and sound is just on another level.

There IS another area where I would put Elex in the lead - and that's overworld exploration. I think FO4 is severely lacking in variety there - but then, that's on purpose. But I was never a fan of post-apoc settings - and I prefer rich nature settings by a very large margin, especially when there's a lot of variety. Elex does that much better - but it also fits into the setting, so.

Anyway, to each his own.

And to answer you last question 24 hours in Blue Horizon. Such a broken game but curiously very playable. I'll go back to it once I get the spoiler on where the compass is located.
I'm aware 99.99% of this forum believes I'm joking about Blue Horizon, but there is something odd with that game. It's a disaster in every corner yet I've fallen in love with it's imperfection. Not sure how to put it differently.
The product is so crazy I'd be unfair if I don't put it among top3 RPGs in this year.
I strongly recommend NOT using Elex potions at all.
I don't.
Elex pots are the part of this game's choices&consequences.
Use too many of elex pots, your emotions will get dumbed and coldness will raise.

To avoid something because of a suggestion from people who desperately need to play games on insane difficulty is IMO at least silly if not utterly illogical - when it comes to c&c rich RPGs.

I'm starting to realize certain trigger statements just need to be avoided here. ;)

Regarding Gothic 3 though, I've always been a little surprised by how highly regarded it seems to be around here. Not that it's very highly regarded just that I think it gets more credit than it should. I think it's objectively the worst PB game by a significant margin.

It was pretty to look at, but it didn't take me long to realize how empty the world was of anything significant and how unfinished it felt. Nevermind the completely broken combat which, even after all the patches, is still pretty bad. It had a huge amount of potential but fell woefully short of it. I couldn't even finish it, and G3 remains the only PB game I've never completed.

I think some PB fans wanted to like G3 so much that they were partially blinded by their own optimism.

So the ending seems completely determined by your cold level?
I was purely emotional and couldn’t try to heal the Hybrid, only kill him.
Disappointing. :(

I'm starting to realize certain trigger statements just need to be avoided here. ;)

Regarding Gothic 3 though, I've always been a little surprised by how highly regarded it seems to be around here. Not that it's very highly regarded just that I think it gets more credit than it should. I think it's objectively the worst PB game by a significant margin.

It was pretty to look at, but it didn't take me long to realize how empty the world was of anything significant and how unfinished it felt. Nevermind the completely broken combat which, even after all the patches, is still pretty bad. It had a huge amount of potential but fell woefully short of it. I couldn't even finish it, and G3 remains the only PB game I've never completed.

I think some PB fans wanted to like G3 so much that they were partially blinded by their own optimism.

I don think anyone was blinded by optimism when it came to G3.

I bought it when it was released and it was in fact unplayable. Stuttering's, slowdowns and crashes were not occasional but the norm. It was simply unbelievable that the game was released in that state. The game was pretty much reviled by gamers and press alike. The typical comment was G3 was an ambitious project that was pushed to market way too soon. Not only were people not optimistic about G3 but people were having their doubts about PB.

From what I can recall, I don't think conventional wisdom turned good for G3 until GOG had the game and the good patch (1.6?)ready to go together. Which was "years" later. I don't consider that the after effect of optimism, but a slow realization that once the game was fixed it was good.

Interestingly, G3 did have a couple quests which involved betraying someone (either quest giver or object of the quest) . But little did I know that it would be pretty normal in Elex.

My most recent G3 play through was about 3 years ago. It was my second complete play trough with a total of 4 runs at the game. One of the things about G3 was there was so much stuff to do that it was easy to get lost in what you had to do. In particular if you took a couple weeks off from the game. In both of my complete run throughs I just played the game to completion with no breaks.

I have been pretty much off from Elex for about 2 weeks due to the holidays. I don't feel lost in this game at all and know what I have to do. So in that respect PB has increased game playability.

From what I can recall, I don't think conventional wisdom turned good for G3 until GOG had the game and the good patch (1.6?)ready to go together. Which was "years" later. I don't consider that the after effect of optimism, but a slow realization that once the game was fixed it was good.

I guess I just don't agree with the "good" part especially when you compare it to PB's other games. I still think G3 is just an average game at best. For me, all those patches only brought it from being horrible to being serviceable.

It's just missing a lot of the little touches that are present in their other titles. Mainly, the things you come across while exploring in their games just aren't present or are barely there in G3. I can't remember a single instance of of discovering something and thinking "Hey, that's kind of neat!" in the same way I did quite often in other PB games.

Anyways, it's been a long time since I've played it, and I'll probably give it another shot one of these days. Maybe my opinion will change. :)

Back
Top Bottom