Pillars of Eternity - Review @ Angry Duck Gamer

He's completely and utterly wrong about BG not having a ton of trashmobs and mostly trivial wilderness areas. PoE is nearly identical in that way - at least from memory.

That said, he does seem to focus on BG2 more - and maybe he sometimes forgets that BG means BG1.
Yes except exploring in BG1 meant running either into small groups of enemies that die within few seconds and you can keep exploring (read they don't waste your time) or you run into special encounters like Basilisk, Dryads or adventuring parties that often talk to you before attacking (and some of them you can avoid fighting).
Exploring in PoE (if you can call it that when maps are maybe half size those in BG1 and there are much less of them) means fighting c/p encounter every new screen space away and all of them being easy pointless trash fight that is not over in few seconds and wastes too much of your time. And you run into special encounters almost never in the wilderness.

Exploring in PoE (if you can call it that when maps are maybe half size those in BG1 and there are much less of them) means fighting c/p encounter every new screen space away and all of them being easy pointless trash fight that is not over in few seconds and wastes too much of your time. And you run into special encounters almost never in the wilderness.

Most of the interesting wilderness encounters in PoE are in the form of bounties. They made it optional: you won't get a bounty encounter unless you accept it from the Warden (or a couple of characters in Stalwart Village). Bounty combats often do require a reload and planning because they're tough.

More like I've just played it too many times (~4) and my impressions have grown jaded. Too much of the combat seem trivial and uninteresting now. Ah well. No, I haven't played it on easy mode. There are still a few battles that take a reload or two to get right, but they're in the minority.
Compare your first play with first PoE play. Of course once you know the fights they are easy. Most fights in BG2 were meant to be fought by experiencing them, seeing what tools enemy uses and then figuring which of your tools counter theirs. Each next playthrough makes those battles easier and easier. I played BG1 and BG2 a LOT (way more than 4 times) and unless I got really unlucky could basically play them on hardcore (and I did with BG1EE), but first play was not easy on Core rules difficulty. On the other hand, PoE I played on 2nd hardest difficulty and only needed to restart Adra dragon a few times and not because of some clever tactic it uses but because it has high stats so you need to beat the RNG. And I only had fun in 2-3 other encounters, the rest was between terrible and bad (and I am not talking about trash fights which were beyond terrible due to how many of them were thrown at you)

Most of the interesting wilderness encounters in PoE are in the form of bounties. They made it optional: you won't get a bounty encounter unless you accept it from the Warden (or a couple of characters in Stalwart Village). Bounty combats often do require a reload and planning because they're tough.
I know about that, and the bounty fight vs the Ogres was one of the few battles I enjoyed in PoE.

Compare your first play with first PoE play. Of course once you know the fights they are easy. Most fights in BG2 were meant to be fought by experiencing them, seeing what tools enemy uses and then figuring which of your tools counter theirs. Each next playthrough makes those battles easier and easier. I played BG1 and BG2 a LOT (way more than 4 times) and unless I got really unlucky could basically play them on hardcore (and I did with BG1EE), but first play was not easy on Core rules difficulty. On the other hand, PoE I played on 2nd hardest difficulty and only needed to restart Adra dragon a few times and not because of some clever tactic it uses but because it has high stats so you need to beat the RNG. And I only had fun in 2-3 other encounters, the rest was between terrible and bad (and I am not talking about trash fights which were beyond terrible due to how many of them were thrown at you)

Yup, well, like I keep saying, tastes vary. I enjoyed it; you didn't. That just means I tend to disregard the opinions of people who dislike the games I found fun when deciding what to try. Likewise I'm sure. :)

You played through the entire game and can't remember the party you used? It's not like PoE has been around that long.

They say the first thing to go is your memory. ;)

Well it's been over two years. I'm pretty sure I'll remember who I used once I find them again in game. On the other hand, I know which party I used when I first finished BG2 15 years ago...

Playing it a slideshow does not help to make memories.

Slideshow? Care to elaborate?
Pillars you could play either by tuning on AI and letting it do everything while you watch or try to do it yourself which ended up that you spent more time in Pause then not during combat which can be described as a slideshow if one really wants to.

Back
Top Bottom