ELEX - Released: More Reviews

It's exactly that design except you can't avoid battling certain "guards" that lead to smallish closed potions that have no other entrance or "minibosses" that are near some loot you want desperately to grab. But otherwise, you can just fly over or circle around a trashmob currently too hard to kill. Another possibility is to lure a hard to kill trashmob towards friendly NPCs who'll then kill it instead of you (but you don't get XP then).

In any case, trashmob levels don't scale with your level nor with levels of your equipment/skills like in Skyrim.
So yeah, it's monstergated openworld but not in a way these monsters require you to kill them all in order to reach some spot. Monstergated and openworld are not mutually exclusive here.

Also note that you can activate teleport spots on the map and fasttravel on them at any time ignoring anything you've avoided to kill previously.

EDIT:
In case you can't understand the combat system and trashmobs feel too hard which leads you to think it's monstergated linear game (here's hope Angry Joe sees this before reviewing the game):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/411300/discussions/0/1483233503861430860/

Thank you so much for this. It is and will be incredibly helpful.

Nearly everything I've seen and read, including the negative stuff, just makes me want to play the game, even though I am sick of ARPGs in general. Combat looks like a stepped-up version of Risen 1's, which I really liked. The popular opinion, including most reviewers, wants a frantic lightshow, but I prefer the measured duels of Risen 1. I'll be getting this game after my new comp arrives.

@joxer; - Thanks for that video. Very helpful.

@Wisdom; - I got in :)

So a short follow-up. So far liking it. The voices are fine for me. Never been that critical of that stuff. I am okay with Jax's voice which is all I would really care about.

Killed two giant rats and then was killed in turn by a wingless emu up in some hill I was climbing. That was mainly because the keyboard is showing some german symbols for mapping and the reminder that the key for heavy attack was Ä didn't help me much :p

I had forgotten a couple of key mappings I had made so while I was busy hitting keys trying to find whatever one would release some special or heavy attack I died.

Found I am good at filling up the combat meter, although watching it means I sometimes stop paying attention to other things, but don't know what I am supposed to do with it once full. I mean I know I can unleash some attack based on the video - that does more damage - but not sure how. Working on figuring that out now.

Graphics are ok if not spectacular but that was expected. Overall enjoying it so far. It is my first PB game by the way.

Enjoy @wolfgrimdark; ! PB is my favorite RPG dev team, maybe of all-time, up there with Bethesda (Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3) and Troika. :)

That was mainly because the keyboard is showing some german symbols for mapping and the reminder that the key for heavy attack was Ä didn't help me much

That's really bizarre. Is it still doing that? Mine displays normally.

Do you have any gamepads or other peripherals plugged into a USB port?

The charged up attack is Q if you haven't already found it. E is another heavy attack that can be part of the build up to the combo. I think. I can't build the combo to save my life :/

Thanks for the video - just watched. I doubt I will get into this game as I tend to hate combat like this. Anything remotely like Dark Souls is a major turn off. I have poor reflexes and the narrator said "I don't think I have ever played a game where I had to pay attention to so many different things in combat" which just sounds like a chore to me. Combat is secondary to me in games and if I have to be a twitch player who needs to be able to monitor dozens of signals at the same time while also trying to have my hands on the correct positions on the keyboard and mouse … and time everything … and be constantly aware of my surrondings … and so on.

That will stress me out and then I start fumbling things with fingers and will end up dead … just like in W3 when I set Geralt's horse on fire as the combat was too frantic and complicated.

But this sounds like an awesome game for those who love complicated and skillful combat. I am not dishing it at all … and hope people read and understand what I am writing here.

Just old and I don't do well with this type of combat. Even in simpler games like FO4 I can only manage thanks to VATS slowing things down or the ability to be a sniper and take my time picking out shots.

I am not going to refund the game though. They are a good company and I am happy to support them by paying and keeping the game.

Plus I haven't actually tried things yet lol … it just finished installing. I admit I am getting lots of vibes from all the comments, however, that the combat is going to be a major problem for me.

Just hoping I am wrong and maybe on easier difficulty I will be able to get enough of a rhythm to play and the game itself will be a little forgiving of finger fumbling and not being able to always monitor rapid inputs from many different areas.
Can't you play on easy?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

^Did you watch the video? In it, the guy mentions that the game is "punishing" and "very difficult" even on the easiest difficulty setting.

The charged up attack is Q if you haven't already found it. E is another heavy attack that can be part of the build up to the combo. I think. I can't build the combo to save my life :/

I'm struggling with the combos as well. Maybe they get easier after ugrading certain skills.

I can usually get to the point where it flashes the "Q" icon, but it rarely seems to activate when I hit the key for some reason.

I thought the difficulty level can be fine tuned via several different parameters in the options?

It is my first PB game by the way.

Here are the four obvious hints for every PB newbie:
1) Save early, save often.
2) Decisions are final. There's rarely a second chance.
3) Don't commit to a faction too early. Keep your options open and look at all of them.
4) Run away if you have to. Especially in the first few hours. Enemies are usually as dangerous as your first impression suggests.

I have to admit the game looks better in that video than in others I have seen. The graphics, at least in that video talking about the combat, are good. Better than some reviews are saying, that's for sure.

Regarding combat, I also hate Dark Souls-like combat and am not a big fan of stamina based combat systems either, especially this one as seen in the video where the stamina runs out way too quickly. That said, I get that the video was made at the beginning stages, so the skills and character will be weak, and there are probably various ways to fix that stamina running out so quickly later on.

That said, if they have ranged weapons and magic then I can see how you can bypass the melee combat to a large extent, if it turns you off. I would never pay $50 for this game, they are asking too much -- close to a AAA game for this -- (in my opinion) but if it ever went on sale for, like, $20 or so, I might consider it.

I would also be much more likely to buy it if infinity mods made a trainer for this game, and then I could put on "unlimited stamina" if necessary, and "unlimited ammo", and use laser guns most of the time in the combat, lol.

Anyway, nice to read the player's impressions.

Well, I mean South Park the Fractured But Whole is a 12-15 hour experience with a much less involved system, and it's $60 so what do we know? Basically, the price of the game is whatever people are willing to pay for it, it shouldn't define if a game is good or bad.

Ah super - thanks as I had not found it. Q it is. I haven't done a combo either.

Can't you play on easy?

I am :p I never claimed I was good at combat .. horrible in fact. I suck at combat, totally. I have no pride or ego when it comes to combat bragging rights.

But I am getting there slowly. I am glad they had an easy setting as it is making the combat doable for me and hence I am enjoying the game. Ages ago I would have managed but age and slow reflexes don't cooperate well with games that require a lot of fast thinking and careful timing.

I suppose the challenge is good for me in its own way though. Keeps the brain pipes smoking.

That's really bizarre. Is it still doing that? Mine displays normally.

Do you have any gamepads or other peripherals plugged into a USB port?

Well shoot I thought it was a general translation issue everyone has. Nah no peripherals or anything like that. I have a CMSTORM keyboard but its basically just a standard keyboard that glows with light :p

I always remap all keys to the right side area so my hands are close to the mouse and together. Just easier playing that way and do it in every game.

Not a game stopper by any means. I just need practice to remember the keys.

Example of issue:

37525111330_bd56952649_o.png

Some keys have strange names (German I assume) while others map to known keys but oddly. For example the down arrow key is mapped to the page down key - yet the down arrow key works correctly on that mapping and when I map something to the page down key it works ... but isn't called the paged down.

On another note I execute some kind of attack. The Q did nothing but I had mapped heavy or special to the ] key and when my bar was full and hit it at just the right time Jax slammed the pipe down on the Emu 3 times in a row killing it.

Last edited:
I'm playing with a Steam Controller and it's working great. Basic Xbox-type input though, per the game's settings, but it's nice. Auto-detects the controller and switches the input when it's turned on. I'll have to dive into making a Steam Controller PC-style configuration later, but I'm not sure if it's even needed.

The game is my personal GOTY so far, as expected. GOTDecade maybe (Skyrim is up there for me, and I have to give love to Amalur too), but we'll see after more game time. Steam says I've only played 3 hours but so far the game is everything I expected it to be, including the bad stuff. It's nowhere near a perfect game and has plenty of technical "flaws" like not-so-great animations, some stilted dialogue and text at times, a few conversations that border on the long side, a UI that takes a lot of getting used to, and more... but it's a romp so far. It's like a mix of Risen 1 and Gothic 3 in this weird setting, a setting which I'm growing to like a lot after mixing it up with the townspeople and learning more about the factions. Loving it.

Please remember to post your impressions in the impressions thread. You can open new threads in the Elex forum for questions or other interesting topics.

I am I never claimed I was good at combat .. horrible in fact. I suck at combat, totally. I have no pride or ego when it comes to combat bragging rights.

But I am getting there slowly. I am glad they had an easy setting as it is making the combat doable for me and hence I am enjoying the game. Ages ago I would have managed but age and slow reflexes don't cooperate well with games that require a lot of fast thinking and careful timing.

I suppose the challenge is good for me in its own way though. Keeps the brain pipes smoking.
Well, I wish you the best then....
I only recently finished risen 2 so I don't think I'll play this until next year.

Have fun.

Regarding combat, I also hate Dark Souls-like combat and am not a big fan of stamina based combat systems either, especially this one as seen in the video where the stamina runs out way too quickly. That said, I get that the video was made at the beginning stages, so the skills and character will be weak, and there are probably various ways to fix that stamina running out so quickly later on.

For some reasons, people connect anything pattern related to DS, even though Japanese have been making pattern based products for decades (which give a different perspective on the so called DS difficulty)
Even another popular franchise like Monster Hunter is ignored, anything pattern based is DS.

In this product, enemies have patterns. It stops there. DS make a different use of patterns, related to space reduction.

In this product, a close relative is one sequence in VS fighting games: whiffing and whiff punishing.

Combat is summed up to that: get the enemy to whip (straightforward as there is so much space and enemies tend to run amok on pieces of terrain), whiff punish (straightforward as the enemy pattern takes a long time)

That is all. Players do not require to study the pattern of enemies: all it takes is to get them to whiff.

Players will find it more or less easy to stack up the sequences. Pressure might get on some players as they stack up to 10 or 15 times etc
Other than that, many enemies can be killed that way from early in a run.

Who is this Chien that writes in a way that we can understand and which alien species took the real Chien?

Back
Top Bottom