XCOM: Enemy Within - Review Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
XCOM: Enemy Within will be released in the next twenty hours according to Steam, and we already have reviews out. So I bring to you the first review roundup.

Eurogamer - 9/10

Enemy Within is an improvement on an already excellent game. For every decision that must be made there are several factors to consider, rarely enough money to pay for everything, and uncomfortable consequences to be faced for failure. All of this is exacerbated still further when playing on Classic difficulty or with Ironman mode enabled, where you're constantly worrying about what to do next or second guessing the action that you've just taken. Much like the genetic modifications that it champions, XCOM: Enemy Within is an experience that gets under your skin.
Destructoid - 9/10

If you haven't played the newest XCOM yet, now is a perfect time to do so. For all the XCOM veterans out there, you'll find a solid amount of new activities to engage in, as well as an unprecedented amount of squad customization. In other words, this is now the definiive Enemy experience.
Polygon - 9/10

Enemy Within forced me outside of my comfort zone, but provided enough reward for doing so that it became a continuing source of enjoyment. On the whole, Enemy Within plays like someone, somewhere kept a list of every minor thing they imagined, while playing Enemy Unknown, would make that game better — and then made those changes.
Gamespot - 8/10

Enemy Within is great, but its greatness comes with qualifications. Players who have never played XCOM: Enemy Unknown will find their best entry point here, since it remedies some of the concerns of the original and manages to keep others from taking their place.
More information.

I'll be getting this - and I'm looking forward to a replay quite a bit. I've decided to postpone my DE:HR replay, due to a significant amount of minor issues and annoyances.

I'll be getting this - and I'm looking forward to a replay quite a bit. I've decided to postpone my DE:HR replay, due to a significant amount of minor issues and annoyances.

I like to know what issues you are refering too. I just replayed DE:HR and besides the mediocre textures i didnt find any issue at all.

There are a few glitches here and there. But I did not encounter anything gamebreaking thus far.
On Hengsha for the second time Just after freeing Tong's son

P.S odd thing releasing a director's cut with worse textures. Was it to reduce some minor stuttering that I am seeing when the game streams data I wonder. Also Loding changes a few meters in front of you is kinda bad. I wonder if you can tweak that via an ini or something.

Didn't bother to look before starting to play I am afraid…

P.S2 the game itself is pretty good though. Very much enjoying my stealthy hacker (*) so not really complaining…
Had to toughen him up a bit though as I died 3-4 times while trying to save Malik, playing on hard, good thing I usually sit on 6-7 praxis points on average until I need them

/offtopic

P.S3 Oh yeah, XCOM, I need to ge this at some point (writes down another one for the Steam Christmas sale ;) )

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on that? Is it because of the shitty textures that so many people are talking about or something more sinister?

Textures, some weird and inconsistent stuttering, inferior ambient occlusion that may or may not get fixed, strange sound delays when firing certain weapons and a few other things.

As I said, they're mostly minor - but I was looking for a 100% polished experience, and the list of known issues is pretty big.

So, I'll wait for a patch or two. No need to suffer frustration when I'm not in a hurry.

I'm already QUITE satiated on the XCom front, thanks, but I'm sure I'll be getting this in a few months. (Looks over at X:Rebirth) Ummm, maybe quite a few months....

I played through DE:HR without any issues so there is no way your are having problems.;)

On a serious note, I just picked this up, I had played a few hours of EU when this was announced so I shelved it.

My only problem now is I'm in the home stretch of the Witcher 1 and wanted to play 2 right after that and I'm already currently sidetracked by Blackguards.

Too many games and it's not even 2014 yet when the s*** really hits the fan.

Back
Top Bottom