Blizzard - New Diablo Game Coming

you are presenting an alternative picture, so you have to explain / rationalize that. You cannot demand me to explain / defend mine but show nothing that backs up yours.

What is the bigger picture you are referring to ?

You are the one here who was making a claim to begin with. That D3 is some kind failure to the majority. I say that it's not. You don't have to agree, but nothing you've said really supports what you're saying while simply using the numbers and common sense would seem to indicate you're wrong.

agreed, I did not say the 4.1 is fair, I said it shows that many people were disappointed. I am confident it does reflect that.

It shows that those particular people were disappointed. Nothing more. Are you trying to suggest that the majority of people who played the game posted a review on Metacritic? It only takes a quick look to see that that's obviously not the case. Plus it's easy to notice that you're only using the PC version score which is far lower than the other platforms.

As to who cares ? Show me a better way to measure player rating of a game and we can use that, until then you just dismiss it because it does not fit your line of reasoning.

I dismissed it for the reason above. Again…common sense would be useful here for you. There are less than 9500 reviews there out of 10+ Million people who have the game. That's less than 0.5% of the player base making it basically useless for any kind of judgment.

In a separate discussion it was also pointed out that review scores by magazines are dubious to begin with as they do not want to lose access to early versions etc. by being too harsh. Are you trying to argue that 88 is an accurate reflection of the initial D3 quality, as that is what they reviewed ? if so, we are done here.

And how about other platforms? The PS4 version has a user score of 8.0. The Xbox One a 7.8. Isn't that weird now? :)

that was not the point, the point was what does popular look like 3 years after release, 5 years after release, 10 years after release ?
That 25M sales is a good number is not disputed.

Compared to what? You're just spouting more nonsense now. To determine that you have to have a similar game to compare it to. I never claimed it's as popular as ever just that it lasted for a good run which it obviously did.

No, that is very relevant, as people not doing so is the drop off in players that was high and lead to them abandoning the 2nd expansion (along with sub-par sales of RoS, which also are a consequence of that).

Did you miss the part where I explained why the second expansion was abandoned or are you intentionally trying to look foolish at this point? Google is your friend. I suggest you use it.

I am not sure what you are trying to argue here. Nothing you say makes D3 a great game. Nothing you say can show that they did not abandon the second expansion because D3 did not meet their expectations in some way, which is the most likely scenario for why there was no 2nd expansion. It's not like Blizz cannot throw money and developers at multiple projects.
Seems you just disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Ah.. so now you're trying to put words in my mouth. Well I guess when all else fails…

I've never said it was great or anything remotely close to that. In fact I even stated in this very thread that I think it's very average and that I wouldn't go back to it. Again, you're the one with the big opinion here. One which you've utterly failed to support in any meaningful way.

If you really want to continue looking foolish here then by all means keep going. I'm off to have some drinks now, but I'll be more than happy to continue this tomorrow if you insist. :)

You are the one here who was making a claim to begin with. That D3 is some kind failure to the majority. I say that it's not.

now you are making it too easy for yourself (also, putting words in my mouth, which you claim I do to you…). I agree that it is not a failure for the majority, never claimed otherwise.

I said there is a significant percentage of players that was disappointed. I'd also argue that this is the core player base but readily admit that I have no proof.

Also, you make the claim that the game is good and that the 2nd expansion being dropped has nothing to do with disappointment in D3. That too is a claim, care to back that up in any way ?

You don't have to agree, but nothing you've said really supports what you're saying while simply using the numbers and common sense would seem to indicate you're wrong.

not really, common sense dictates that there would have been a 2nd expansion if everything had gone according to plan / expectations. So expectations were not met.

It shows that those particular people were disappointed. Nothing more. Are you trying to suggest that the majority of people who played the game posted a review on Metacritic? It only takes a quick look to see that that's obviously not the case.

so you already know that I am not suggesting that. However the score is usually pretty similar to the 'professional' reviewer score and can be used to extrapolate to the playerbase - that is the whole point, whether metacritic or rotten tomatoes or other sites

I agree that here D3 was dragged down, 4.1 is not a fair rate, but it shows that there is a significant enough percentage that was disappointed by the game - and this is not just the 3000 or however many people that actually voted.

Again…common sense would be useful here for you. There are less than 9500 reviews there out of 10+ Million people who have the game. That's less than 0.5% of the player base making it basically useless for any kind of judgment.

I fail to see you applying common sense. Right now you argue that if 10000 people voted, this tells you nothing about a game that was bought by 10M people. All it tells you is that what those 10000 people think.
While this is true on a very fundamental level, you ignore the fact that these kinds of scores are used all the time to extrapolate to the entire userbase / population and are generally a lot more accurate than you just now give them credit for. So it does represent more than just the opinion of a negligible number of users.

If you seriously want to argue this, then any review by anyone, professional or user, can be dismissed for any game and everything is meaningless. Great application of common sense….

And how about other platforms? The PS4 version has a user score of 8.0. The Xbox One a 7.8. Isn't that weird now? :)

that is what, 300 users fox XBox, 1200 for PS4 and that somehow is more accurate than 9.5K users for PC ? According to your own logic this tells us nothing whatsoever ;) You cannot even be consistent….

Again, I never said the 4.1 is a fair score, but one that shows disappointment in the game. You somehow make it about accuracy when it never was.

Compared to what? You're just spouting more nonsense now.

just because you do not understand something does not mean it is nonsense.

Compared to number of copies sold obviously, where is your common sense. What percentage after 3,5,10 years should still play a game for it to be considered (still) popular ? What percentage would be a disappointment ?

Did you miss the part where I explained why the second expansion was abandoned or are you intentionally trying to look foolish at this point?

I saw you make a claim without any proof. If you do not accept that from me, I have no reason to accept that from you either.

Ah.. so now you're trying to put words in my mouth. Well I guess when all else fails…

funny, you are doing this a lot more than I am. If I 'put words in your mouth' it is because you are not sufficiently clear.

I've never said it was great or anything remotely close to that. In fact I even stated in this very thread that I think it's very average and that I wouldn't go back to it.

I did not memorize this thread, so forgive me for not knowing what else you wrote someplace.

Looks like we agree on how good / bad D3 was, not that I ever argued this to begin with. We seem to disagree on why there was no 2nd expansion however, and you have shown nothing to back up your version.

I used Google and found this

'One reason Blizzard is hesitant to devote resources to another Diablo 3 expansion is because since the Auction House was shut down, the game has not been a very good revenue stream in the west, where players buy the expansion and effectively nothing else after that. This is opposed to WoW, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch'

Emphasis on ONE reason, not THE ONLY reason, as you seem to think. So this basically shows that you are wrong, it is A reason, but not THE reason.

Here is some simple, common sense math for you. If creating the expansion costs maybe 20% of creating the base game (1 new act, 1 new class), yet Blizz charges half the price of the base game, Blizz would make about the same profit with the expansion as with the base game if it sold 50% as many copies. That in itself would be a lot of profit.
Why was the expansion abandoned then ? The only real variable here is what % of players (owners of the base game) would end up buying it, so what does that tell us about that percentage ?

Last edited:
Don't worry guys, DArtagnan is right here on my shoulder tonight. ;)

now you are making it too easy for yourself (also, putting words in my mouth, which you claim I do to you…). I agree that it is not a failure for the majority, never claimed otherwise.

I said there is a significant percentage of players that was disappointed. I'd also argue that this is the core player base but readily admit that I have no proof.

Here is what you said exactly…

D3 was such a disappointment that the first expansion only sold 1/3 of what the original game sold. That is a pretty abysmal number. So much so that the second planned expansion got scrapped. There is no way this outcome can reasonably be considered a success.
The game was a disappointment, even though financially successful. That being said, it is not a horrible game, it is mediocre. It is a great Gauntlet-like game, it just is a bad Diablo game - and the latter is where the disappointment comes from.

You didn't say anything about a percentage of players being disappointed, you claimed the game was a disappointment in general. So now you're trying to backpeddle on what you originally claimed.

Also, you make the claim that the game is good and that the 2nd expansion being dropped has nothing to do with disappointment in D3. That too is a claim, care to back that up in any way ?

The game was good enough to be one of the top 10 selling games of all time. As I said, I personally thought it was just average. However the numbers don't lie, and it didn't sell that many copies from marketing alone. I wonder how many times I have to repeat that before you start to get it.

The second expansion was dropped because it wouldn't have been as profitable as other games with microtransactions. You can read about that here since you obviously don't want to take my word for it.

not really, common sense dictates that there would have been a 2nd expansion if everything had gone according to plan / expectations. So expectations were not met.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, but you keep repeating the same thing anyways. Not having a second expansion does not make the game a disappointment. Again, read the article I linked to above.

so you already know that I am not suggesting that. However the score is usually pretty similar to the 'professional' reviewer score and can be used to extrapolate to the playerbase - that is the whole point, whether metacritic or rotten tomatoes or other sites

I agree that here D3 was dragged down, 4.1 is not a fair rate, but it shows that there is a significant enough percentage that was disappointed by the game - and this is not just the 3000 or however many people that actually voted.

How do you know? Did you ask each and every one of them? And how many people is "significant"? The problem is that's a completely subjective figure, and it's also not what you claimed to begin with anyways.

I fail to see you applying common sense. Right now you argue that if 10000 people voted, this tells you nothing about a game that was bought by 10M people. All it tells you is that what those 10000 people think.
While this is true on a very fundamental level, you ignore the fact that these kinds of scores are used all the time to extrapolate to the entire userbase / population and are generally a lot more accurate than you just now give them credit for. So it does represent more than just the opinion of a negligible number of users.…

No, it doesn't. It represents exactly who gave their opinion. The only thing being extrapolated here is a lot of bullshit from you.

that is what, 300 users fox XBox, 1200 for PS4 and that somehow is more accurate than 9.5K users for PC ? According to your own logic this tells us nothing whatsoever ;) You cannot even be consistent….

Again, I never said the 4.1 is a fair score, but one that shows disappointment in the game. You somehow make it about accuracy when it never was.

If it's not accurate then what's the point of quoting something that supposed to support your argument?

Looks like we agree on how good / bad D3 was, not that I ever argued this to begin with. We seem to disagree on why there was no 2nd expansion however, and you have shown nothing to back up your version.

You originally claimed D3 was a disappointment in general. You've since started to backpedal on that claim probably because you realized it was foolish. Now you're saying that only a significant (in your opinion) amount of people found it disappointing.

I used Google and found this

'One reason Blizzard is hesitant to devote resources to another Diablo 3 expansion is because since the Auction House was shut down, the game has not been a very good revenue stream in the west, where players buy the expansion and effectively nothing else after that. This is opposed to WoW, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch'

Emphasis on ONE reason, not THE ONLY reason, as you seem to think. So this basically shows that you are wrong, it is A reason, but not THE reason.

Here is some simple, common sense math for you. If creating the expansion costs maybe 20% of creating the base game (1 new act, 1 new class), yet Blizz charges half the price of the base game, Blizz would make about the same profit with the expansion as with the base game if it sold 50% as many copies. That in itself would be a lot of profit.
Why was the expansion abandoned then ? The only real variable here is what % of players (owners of the base game) would end up buying it, so what does that tell us about that percentage ?

This shouldn't be that hard to understand for anyone. Blizzard apparently didn't want to pull manpower away from more profitable games. That doesn't mean an expansion wouldn't have been profitable. I've tried to explain this to you, and it's referenced in the link I posted, but I have a feeling I'm wasting my time here.

You didn't say anything about a percentage of players being disappointed

precisely, I gave no percentage, so why do you then think I therefore must have meant that it was disappointing to most players ?

you claimed the game was a disappointment in general. So now you're trying to backpeddle on what you originally claimed.

no backpeddeling. The game can be a disappointment even when many players like it, the important part here is that enough did not and the number of players drops too fast for Blizzard to keep investing in it

The game was good enough to be one of the top 10 selling games of all time.

whether that has anything to do with quality is a separate discussion

As I said, I personally thought it was just average.

I agree with that. Also, you can be disappointed with a game being average, it does not need to be truly bad. That is the case with D3.

However the numbers don't lie, and it didn't sell that many copies from marketing alone. I wonder how many times I have to repeat that before you start to get it.

you can repeat that as often as you want, I will continue to disagree with that (the sales number being a reflection of how good a game is). The numbers not lying also show that a significant portion of the players was disappointed (metacritic), the number of active players dropping fast (disappointing sales of RoS, in terms of % compared to base game) and the cancellation of the 2nd expansion as a consequence of that.

See e.g. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/diablo-3-reaper-of-souls-27-million-in-sales-shows-decline

"Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls' 2.7 Million in Sales Shows Decline
Blizzard's revival of Diablo III has reached 2.7 million players, but that's less than half of what the original did in the same time period."

The fact that it did not manage to sell 50% is a reflection of that disappointment I was talking about.

It is funny how you defend your one number (sales) and dismiss others because they do not help your argument.

The second expansion was dropped because it wouldn't have been as profitable as other games with microtransactions.

ONE reason was that, not the ONLY reason. No need to try that BS again, we have been over that already.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about

I’d say the same about you, so I guess this is where this ends.

How do you know?

know what ? that it is not just 3000 people ? That in the vote they overly dragged D3 down ? Both are common sense, for someone that brings that up so much, try using it sometime.

It represents exactly who gave their opinion. The only thing being extrapolated here is a lot of bullshit from you.

yeah extrapolating from a small number of people to the overall population is totally not something that works and is therefore never used / done by anyone. Save your BS for someone else. You would have more of an argument if your reasoning were not completely insane.

If it's not accurate then what's the point of quoting something that supposed to support your argument?

it does support the argument, which is that a significant % of the playerbase was disappointed. 4.1 does not need to be an accurate rating for that.

You originally claimed D3 was a disappointment in general.

I stand by that. That does not mean the majority of players was disappointed however. Do you take that to mean 100% of players ? That is where you went wrong.

It was a disappointment to its core audience, it was ultimately a disappointment to Blizzard. They then cancelled the 2nd expansion. End of story.

BTW the core audience is a small percentage of players, but important for the game, think of them as the F2P whales.

I have a feeling I'm wasting my time here.

same. I am done here, we simply disagree on how much of a rationale this was for not developing the 2nd expansion. You make it the ONLY / MAIN reason when even Blizz said it was ONE of the reasons.
I can’t prove my perspective to you and you have nothing to back up yours either. Both simply are opinions and we rate the facts differently (you have to ignore most of them for your theory to work…), arriving at a different emphasis on why it got cancelled. No point in continuing this.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for that big PVP patch that was promised btw. ;)

precisely, I gave no percentage, so why do you then think I therefore must have meant that it was disappointing to most players?

Because you wrote that the game was a disappointment in the general sense.

If you wanted to say that only a specific section of the player base was disappointed then why didn't you write that to begin with? After all that wasted time and text, now you're conceding that it was only a disappointment to "some" people. Well no shit… there has never been a game that wasn't disappointing to some people.

I'm starting to suspect you're either quite young or that English isn't your native language. Either way, you need to learn to say what you mean.

It was a disappointment to its core audience, it was ultimately a disappointment to Blizzard. They then cancelled the 2nd expansion. End of story.

Out of curiosity, did you ask each and every member of the core audience how they felt about the game?

A disappointment to Blizzard? Now that's pretty funny. I bet if you told Blizzard during development that D3 would go on to be one of the top 10 best-selling games in history they'd be shitting rainbows of pure joy.

Because you wrote that the game was a disappointment in the general sense.

it was a disappointment in a general sense, that does not mean it disappointed the majority of players.

After all that wasted time and text, now you're conceding that it was only a disappointment to "some" people. Well no shit… there has never been a game that wasn't disappointing to some people.

I never argued it was all people, not sure why you cannot get that. While all games disappoint a few people, D3 went beyond that, so not that is not the same as 'no game please everyone' that you try to make this

Out of curiosity, did you ask each and every member of the core audience how they felt about the game?

of course I did, what else do you expect ? next time try not to ask questions you already know the answer to. Also, I did not even say it disappointed all members of its core audience.

A disappointment to Blizzard? Now that's pretty funny. I bet if you told Blizzard during development that D3 would go on to be one of the top 10 best-selling games in history they'd be shitting rainbows of pure joy.

yeah, because the only thing that ever matters is how much profit you make from this one game, not the reception by the players, not the lost reputation for Blizzard or the brand. How short-sighted of me to assume otherwise, oh wait, that is not short-sighted, you are…

No matter how you slice and dice this, that a game gets less expansions than originally planned is never due it exceeding expectations or even meeting them. Not meeting expectations is another way to say disappointing.

Now let me summarize your argument so far.

- sales are a great way to measure how good a game is
- sales only matter in how many there are, even below average sales of an expansion are still great as long as the number itself is high
- user ratings mean nothing, no matter how many of them there are, unless they agree with your opinion, then they do matter, even if they are a lot fewer
- the only reason the second expansion was scrapped was lack of micro-transactions, despite Blizzard saying it was 'A reason' which already shows that there were also others

Yep, makes plenty of sense, I guess we are done here.

Last edited:
it was a disappointment in a general sense, that does not mean it disappointed the majority of players.

No, it was not a disappointment in the general sense. That's my whole point. Where do you get that it was disappointment in the general sense? And if it didn't disappoint the majority then how was it a disappointment in the general sense? You seem to have you own personal definition of the word.

Make up your mind kid. You keep changing your tune, and I'm starting to feel embarrassed for you.

No, it was not a disappointment in the general sense. That's my whole point.

I already mentioned all of that, to summarize

- see player reviews / comments
- the expansion sold below average (% wise)
- number of active players dropped fast
- Blizzard abandoned the 2nd expansion as a consequence

The very fact that there was no second expansion when one was planned is proof that things did not go as well as planned, in other words, D3 disappointed. First its players, then Blizzard, so it got abandoned / descoped.

Good lord kid! The amount of bullshit that comes out of you is impressive.

You're obviously trolling at this point.

Diablo 3 sold well but destroyed its franchise. Any next game will have way less interest and sales.

Care to bet on that? :)

Regardless of what we might think of D3, Blizzard's next game will still probably sell like hotcakes.

So will next Bioware's game. And Bethesda's next game. And <insert popular studio with established brand>'s next game.

Doesn't mean jack to anything but the bean counters that run those companies.

Back
Top Bottom