Obsidian's new game revealed - Avowed

Looking forward to see how this game turns out. Although, I hope they let you switch out of first person to a third person view.

No he confirmed on Twitter he isn't involved at all. Lets throw a celebration.:party2:
What do you have against Sawyer? He's one of my favorite devs.

No he confirmed on Twitter he isn't involved at all. Lets throw a celebration.:party2:

Intetesting! He says he's working on a different project that isn't Avowed. I'd love it to be Pillars 3 but that ship has sailed I fear.

What do you have against Sawyer? He's one of my favorite devs.
Constant updates and fixes that eventually break/nerf classes.

Basically he's a perfectionist and never satisfied.
a person who refuses to accept any standard short of perfection.
Intetesting! He says he's working on a different project that isn't Avowed. I'd love it to be Pillars 3 but that ship has sailed I fear.

I found this on his personal blog.
Do you have any involvement on Avowed? I was already interested in Obsidian making a first person fantasy game, but hearing it was set in the PoE universe made me immediately :allears:

No, sorry. I just give feedback as the studio design director.

Hello, I don't play many games. I never played Baldur's Gate or any of those kinds of RPGs. I played PoE while on quarantine and am immediately hooked. The story and world building is so fantastic. I bought all the DLCs and, much to my wife's chagrin, spent the whole quarantine lost in that world. I immediately jumped into PoE 2 and am loving it. I've read there may not be a 3rd- any chance of a kickstarter or something to prove that us PoE fans are legion? Thanks!

Thanks. I don’t think the fans need to convince me/Obsidian/MS of anything. Your support is always heard and appreciated. I think that we need to believe that if we try to make a game in this style again, the existing fans will enjoy it, new players will enjoy it, and ex-fans who were disappointed by Pillars 1 and/or 2 will come back to it. On top of all that, we need to be excited about making it.

Even devs who really enjoy working in the Pillars universe were burned out after the end of Deadfire, especially if they went on to work on the DLCs. To put in all of that work and have the game limp over the finish line, sales-wise, doesn’t get people jazzed up about rolling on to a sequel.

Ultimately I think this is a matter if internal will and belief rather than something that requires external validation.

I mean…. it's not a "no", right? Right?
(Hmm. There's doesn't seem to be an emoji for "clutching at straws")

I mean…. it's not a "no", right? Right?
(Hmm. There's doesn't seem to be an emoji for "clutching at straws")
Depends he said no on Twitter and his blog replay is more vague. Though Avowed has a different project lead and its not Josh this time. It's another old timer at Obsidian.

Depends he said no on Twitter
He definitely ruled out Pillars 3 on twitter? Ah ok. I missed that. Fair enough. Guess we wait and see what he's up to. And in the meantime, Avowed might be good. :)

He definitely ruled out Pillars 3 on twitter? Ah ok. I missed that. Fair enough. Guess we wait and see what he'd up to. And in the meantime, Avowed might be good.
He mostly talks about how burned out he/the development crew are after POE II sold so poorly despite being better then the original. It's why we probably have Avowed now.

I wouldn't rule out a PoE 3 but it will most certainly be different.

He mostly talks about how burned out he/the development crew are after POE II sold so poorly despite being better then the original. It's why we probably have Avowed now.

I wouldn't rule out a PoE 3 but it will most certainly be different.

Maybe so different it's Avowed! ;)

Maybe so different it's Avowed! ;)
Obsidian already mentioned in past interviews, some with Josh, that they wanted to branch out the IP in different games/genres. Avowed is a spin-off set in the setting.

So meh it's not PoE 3 & Obsidian didn't even call it that. Nice try though.;)

The mechanics of PoE2 were indeed better. But if your game's foundation is drab and uninteresting, what's it really matter? Not to mention the clunky ship combat practically noone wanted and the dozens of disjointed, copy/paste islands that blurred together with all the fun of a to-do list.

Furthermore, it's easy to say, "boohoo, I did an amazing job and the sequel's relative failure isn't my fault." But it's another thing entirely to analyze and identify your own mistakes. Perhaps then, if he ever designs another game system, it won't be replete with watered-down, DnD-wannabe systems and he won't piss off people who dared to give it a shot with monthly patches that continually turn the game upside down.

Josh Sawyer, as a lead designer, is horrible. He was also in charge of the FNV dlc most people, including myself, find the worst: Honest Hearts.

I do think it is very difficult to design a whole new fantasy universe that is actually interesting and one that people find enticing and alluring and so on. I don't think the Pillars of Eternity world succeeded at that, it failed at creating that atmosphere and feeling.

Addendum to the above diatribe of Sawyer: he's a better storyteller than he is a Project Director. He was behind the idea for the Survivalist in Honest Hearts, the saving grace of that DLC. So, credit where it's due!

I haven't played PoEII yet, but everything else he had a strong hand in I've enjoyed, and in interviews I agree with everything he has said.

I haven't played PoEII yet, but everything else he had a strong hand in I've enjoyed, and in interviews I agree with everything he has said.

I thought it was great, except for the ship to ship combat which was pretty terrible - but that is a fairly small part of the game and it didn't detract from my enjoyment overall.

Back
Top Bottom