Rebel Galaxy - Review @ Tech-Gaming

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rebel Galaxy gets more praise at Tech-Gaming:

One of the downsides of a risk-adverse game industry is that developers often stick with proven concepts instead of trying out new ideas. Generally, this approach could be used to retrace the careers of Erich Schaefer and Travis Baldree, the duo responsible for Torchlight and its sequel when working together at Runic Games. Previously, each had worked on number of preceding hack-and-slash titles- with Schaefer having a hand in the creation Diablo 1 and 2 while Baldree labored on Mythos and Fate. Review the resumes of each developer, and the notable deviation you’ll find is Schaefer’s involvement in Hellgate: London, the ill-fated action-role playing game that tried to transpose the loot-and-lumber formula into a first-person perspective.

With the release of Rebel Galaxy, the two-man team tackle a completely different genre, offering an involved space-sim that adeptly balances accessibility with intricacy. While the PC title might not have the complexity to woo players seeking an excessively complicated simulation, those looking for an open-world excursion may want to ease into the threadbare upholstery of the captain’s chair. Commandeering a succession of increasingly powerful vessels, you’ll assume the role of either trader or trader as you pursue economic success in a star-scape teeming with sycophantic scoundrels. [...]

Rebel Galaxy is indie gaming at its best. Removed from the burden to kowtow to crowdsourced backers and the type of focus testing that’s ubiquitous for larger publishers, the title lets two auteurs chase their ambitions. While some might be content with seeing Schaefer and Baldree continue Torchlight until the fun and funds began to whither, Rebel Galaxy feel like a project that’s driven by passion, with the duo (and a handful of contractors) building the game that they would want to play. It’s good enough to make you wonder what other wunderkind and hampered by the lure of design conformity.

Summary : Until Stardock makes good on their Star Control reboot, this is the open-world, antagonistic galaxy you’ll want to trade, fly, and fight in. The latter is especially strong, with Rebel Galaxy’s combat outshining most space skirmishes of the last decade.

Score: 86%

Gameplay - 90%
Story - 75%
Aesthetics - 90%
Content - 90%
Accessibility - 85%
Thanks Eye!

More information.

Was already in my wishlist but I forgot about it. Moved it to to beginning of the list and will keep an eye on it.

I been watching the streams a bit, the game seems fun although a little simple. Hopefully the team expand upon the game with some crew management, crew skills and possibly crew quests.

Looks like a better version of Starpoint Gemini. So I guess I will have to buy this... after I finished Templar Battleforce.

Looks like a better version of Starpoint Gemini. So I guess I will have to buy this… after I finished Templar Battleforce.

Not sure, more casual for sure and nicer looking. Starpoint Gemini has pilot skills in addition to being able to get more ships and outfit them.

Short development time + small team + their past history = I'm extremely sceptical this is anything other than a shallow timewaster.

But I'll check it out.

In the macro sense it will be shallow - esp compared to a deep rpg; but I suspect it will be a lot of fun. All games will be time waster shallow or not; so in the end it is all about having a good time. Btw just because I have fun with it (it remains to be seen if that will be the case) I'm not suggesting you will have fun with it. As to the previous titles I thought fate and torchlight i/ii were fun for a short while. Long enough to justify their cost but certainly I put them down and never looked back after a while. It is true that when time perrmits the game I really liked I can still play again (wiz 8 for example, as well as 100's of hours in the king bounty series).

Short development time + small team + their past history = I'm extremely sceptical this is anything other than a shallow timewaster.

But I'll check it out.

Removed from the burden to kowtow to crowdsourced backers…

Really? Yeah, what a terrible burden having to interact with people who are buying your game. Rolls eyes…

Anyone tried it? I'm interested, but I'm not quite sure it's for me. Would prefer Space Rangers 3... ;)

Back
Top Bottom