Knights of the Chalice II - Q&A with Pierre Begue of Heroic Fantasy Games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Shaneplays did a long interview with Pierre Begue of Heroic Fantasy Games which currently has a Kickstarter going for Knights of the Chalice II.

How long have you been working on Knights of the Chalice 2?

I've been working on KotC 2 for about ten years, from 2010 to 2020. I worked on the game for about seven years on a part-time basis and for about three years on a full-time basis in the period since 2018.

What is different between Knights of the Chalice 1 and 2?

There are many differences between KotC 1 and KotC 2. The most obvious difference is that KotC 2 has 22 fully-fledged character classes, while KotC 1 only has three classes. KotC 2 also has ten interesting player races and 36 player subraces, while KotC 1 only has three player races. Moreover, Clerics and Bishops in KotC 2 have access to 41 exciting Cleric Domains.

KotC 2 comes with a powerful integrated editor, while KotC 1 does not. KotC 2 is also very flexible in the sense that I can add new feats, new items or new spells easily. That's not the case with KotC 1. Moreover, the AI of enemy creatures now depends on their Intelligence score in KotC 2.

KotC 1 uses pixel-art graphics similar to Ultima VI, while KotC 2 uses high-resolution graphics. Adventure maps are tile-based in KotC 1. Now they're based on a large PNG or JPG image. KotC 2 will have both top-down adventure maps and isometric maps and it will allow the player to choose between token-based graphics and sprite-based graphics. Also, KotC 2 uses OGG music files, while KotC 1 uses MIDI music files.

While KotC 1 allows you to create four party members, KotC 2 Augury of Chaos allows you to create six characters. KotC 2 also allows you to recruit endearing companions. Including companions, your party in Augury of Chaos may comprise up to eight or nine active party members. Your characters can move through squares occupied by allied creatures in KotC 2.

[...]
More information.

KotC 2 will have both top-down adventure maps and isometric maps and it will allow the player to choose between token-based graphics and sprite-based graphics. Lets hope enough money accretes around this campaign, so we'll have animated sprites.

KotC 2 will have both top-down adventure maps and isometric maps and it will allow the player to choose between token-based graphics and sprite-based graphics. Lets hope enough money accretes around this campaign, so we'll have animated sprites.

What is also interesting about this is, if he doesn't make it there is no reason someone couldn't do it by adding it to the editor as far as I know.

Sure hope he adds Steam Workshop support. This game on the Workshop with people making old D&D modules could be a beautiful thing.

Sure hope he adds Steam Workshop support. This game on the Workshop with people making old D&D modules could be a beautiful thing.

Not just beautiful, exquisite.

Lets hope enough money accretes around this campaign, so we'll have animated sprites.
We will add animated sprites regardless of the final amount raised by the campaign. :)
Sure hope he adds Steam Workshop support
I'll definitely look into it! :)

Thank you everyone!! Only 55 hours to go now!! The Final Hours are Upon Us! :biggrin:

Just got my direct download link - awesome!
But I can't even get onto the website to start the download at the minute. I guess there are 800 other people trying to do it at the same time.... aaaargh!

Just got my direct download link - awesome!
But I can't even get onto the website to start the download at the minute. I guess there are 800 other people trying to do it at the same time…. aaaargh!

I haven't got mine yet:(

I haven't got mine yet:(

If it helps, Pierre said in the Kickstarter comments "If you are already a customer on the website www.heroicfantasygames.com, you don't need to wait for the email: please just log into the Customer Area of the website and your game(s) will already be there."

I've now downloaded 442MB at a snail's pace.

Yes! Finally done. Final file size was 692MB. Took a looooong time. Very excited to get started... although sadly I'm now out of time so it will have to wait until later...!

If it helps, Pierre said in the Kickstarter comments "If you are already a customer on the website www.heroicfantasygames.com, you don't need to wait for the email: please just log into the Customer Area of the website and your game(s) will already be there."

I've now downloaded 442MB at a snail's pace.

I have no idea if I am….something tells me I may have gotten missed.

EDIT: nevermind downloading now hopefully...site is slow as heck.

I had to fill out a survey on Kickstarter in order to start the process of getting the link to download the game from their website. I'm looking forward to playing this one, though I shan't be a first adopter tester as I started Avernum 5 a few days ago, so it'll have to wait a month or two.

Don't have a link yet, but think I will hold off playing anyway. Seeing some comments about crashes etc on the KS comments page…

Yeah. I spent about an hour rolling a party and it was fantastic - so many options! I then started the opening dungeon and crashed; and then shortly afterwards again. The bit inbetween crashes was fun. He said there would need to be a bug hunt on release so sure he's on the case. I might hold off playing further though until it's had a couple of updates.

Making the party was really a fun time. But I had a few crashes at the beginning trying dialogue options for different party members. Will wait a little bit.

Making the party was really a fun time. But I had a few crashes at the beginning trying dialogue options for different party members. Will wait a little bit.

Yeah, I don't think he had a very big beta team, he is dedicated though so this should get fixed pretty quick….

IF you are having issues though apparently this will help:

If, after installing a Windows game, when you try to run it you get an error message about a missing file or an incorrect DirectX version, please download from the website of Microsoft the DirectX 9 redistributable file and install it. You will find the DirectX 9 file at the following address: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109.

Back
Top Bottom