So, who is your favorite character in LotR and why?

Tom Bombadil.
Sings - not clotheared (or whatever is the term for someone who constantly fails a pitch).
Seemingly doesn't care about anything yet without him there would be no solution against ring wraiths (weapon). Kinda Lovecraftian creature.
Not mainstream and cannot ever be (I hope the upcoming series will prove me wrong on this).

Unknown by ignorant Peter Jackson's audience.

Tom Bombadil.
Sings - not clotheared (or whatever is the term for someone who constantly fails a pitch).
Seemingly doesn't care about anything yet without him there would be no solution against ring wraiths (weapon). Kinda Lovecraftian creature.
Not mainstream.

Unknown by ignorant Peter Jackson's audience.

Why am I not surprised :)

Eowyn. I liked her love story with Faramir. Also, she is a battle maiden, killing one of the dark riders. Liked her a lot more than Arwen.

My spontaneous answer would also have been Tom Bombadil.
"Ding Long Dongelong!"

Can't even really say why. But that's the one character who kinda "impressed" me most when I first read the hobbit (which I read before LOTR)

Close tie between Gandalf and Aragorn. I like magic and wizards, especially the good ones, but also really like Rangers. But guess I will go with Gandalf as I just like everything about him.

Frodo. I have only read the first book, the fellowship of the ring though. (I do intend to read the trilogy some time)

I just really like the way Frodo is depicted, and how you can relate to his character and his thoughts as he sets out on that journey across the Shire. And I like the traveling and how he describes the various places. I think the character is written very well.

Edit: If meaning the movies, then I like Samwise the best. I just really liked the actor and thought he had some great scenes - my favorite one being when they had that scene between him and Frodo in the water - "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, a promise!"

Last edited:
Straight up tie for me between Gimli and Bombadil. The latter for the sheer power and knowledge that he possessed, the former because it showed just how anyone can change in life. What he thought about elves his entire life changed when he interacted with Legolas, and later when he practically swooned at the feet of Galadriel. Power stuff to read when you are nine years old, and has stuck with me for quite some time.

More of a movie fan, than the books. I appreciate the books, and what Tolkien did for fantasy, but the movies did away with the fluff, and focused on the emotion.

Because of that, I would also pick Sam. He was a true hero. It's easier to be brave when you're a warrior or a wizard, not so much when you're a small inexperienced halfling.

Sauron the guy is 54,000 years old & has unlimited power.:evil:

3745057-sauron.jpg

But man it must be shameful to be beaten in every age.

Yep it's fiction and usually they all have the same boring ending of good guys always win, but for once I want a setting where evil wins and the good guys are powerless.

I don't know Couch, that sounds like a real life, so big nuh-uh for me.
I'm just sick of fairy tale endings. :-/

At least in Tyranny and other similar RPGs you can be a villain and win. Yesterday I was going through my alien invasion movie collection, and noticed humans always win.

Pfff boring. It should be welcome your new overlord's you weaklings.

Anyway one of the book series I love to read is by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman called the Sovereign Stone Series. It follows a prince who becomes a dark god.
Second in line for succession to the throne, Prince Dagnarus will have his crown…and his queen -- though his heart's prize is a married elfin beauty. Let his hated half-brother Prince Helmos and the Dominion Lords dare to oppose him. For Dagnarus's most loyal servant has ventured into the terrible darkness, where lies the most potent talisman in the realm. And once it is in the dark prince's hand, no power will deter his Destiny.

Last edited:
How about we both say, it will be good to have a mix :p

Personally, I will be going for goody-goody ending all the time because I hate villains winning in real life most of the time :p

Then again, I also hate the "you are good in every single way" type like Arwen and Aragon who always gets the fairy tale ending.

Cool :)

For my own part, Faramir was always my favorite - though I'm NOT talking about the movie version, which Jackson managed to destroy.

Ironically, I think David Wenham was the perfect actor to play him - but that's no help when they change the essence of the man :(

If we're talking about the books, it would probably be a tie between Frodo and Samwise.

If we're talking about the films, it would be that savvy elf chick played by Orlando Bloom.

Well, he's not the most masculine character in the traditional sense :)

Hmm, my favorite movie character… That's an interesting question.

Easy enough to answer, though: Gollum.

I honestly think they made him more compelling in certain ways than in the book - and I'm a HUGE Tolkien geek :)

(even though I'm glad they got rid of Bombadil in the movies) DON'T KILL ME JOXER!

Treebeard. Because I'm fascinated by the slow, somewhat alien mindset of the ents.

pibbur who has a beard, but other than that....

Back
Top Bottom