General News - 10 of the best Tabletop RPG Adaptations @ Game Rant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Rant made a list of good tabletop RPG adaptations:

10 Of The Best Tabletop RPG Video Game Adaptations

Over the years, some tabletop RPGs translated their exciting mechanics into the video game world. Here are some of their best adaptations.

The evolution of the RPG genre throughout the years, from Dungeons and Dragons predecessor Chainmail to modern games like The Elder Scrolls franchise, has been impressive to say the least. Games that started off as little more than chess pieces and dice have become immense worlds filled with stories and characters unimaginable to the early pioneers of the genre.

Either due to recent social restrictions, or just a lack of players, the transition from pen-to-paper to digital code has become a necessity for a lot of us, whether that means finding ways to emulate the tabletop experience through the web, or finding new ways to satisfy the gaming urge. That being said, here are a handful of our favorite video games that have either directly adapted, or otherwise translated tabletop systems to a digital experience. Roll for initiative!

• Planescape: Torment
  • Call Of Cthulhu
  • Shadowrun
  • Knights Of The Old Republic
  • Fallout Classic
  • Icewind Dale
  • Pillars Of Eternity
  • Disco Elysium
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Neverwinter Nights
More information.

There are some decent games in there. However, I am a tradtionalist and my opinion is that they left of the SSI games from the 80s. Wizard's Crown, The Emerald Dagger, Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc., all gave us that table top feel. I miss the feel of playing those games, although Solasta is quickly overtaking these games in feel as a translation from tabletop to CRPG.

You can make a top 10 of the SSI RPGs alone - I think they haven't been included here, because they aged badly for most younger gamers.

You can make a top 10 of the SSI RPGs alone - I think they haven't been included here, because they aged badly for most younger gamers.

/says in my best old man voice, "Young whippersnappers wouldn't know a good game if it rolled a d20 and crit them right on the butt! Now stay off my lawn!"

Lue.

Wait, was Fallout a tabletop RPG before the first game released back in 1997?

In the Age of Origin, there was a prototype game about space mercenaries / pirates. Top-down view, ships coming together like in Warhammer and start shooting the SHT out of each other. There was boarding of course. IIRC, it was turn-based. Never again did I see that game ever again. Only poorly executed Stellar Tactics is there, which is a pain to even watch.. Then there is Horizon's Gate, which is again very "Meh..". There should be a remake of the excellent sci-fi C64 game Centauri Alliance as well, which had turn-based battles. :)

A legit CoC computer RPG is right at the top of my wishlist. Nobody has ever come close.

I'll settle for any good Lovecraft game regardless of genre. It's pretty sad when games like CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth and The Sinking City are the best we've got.

No, it was not. Neither was Pillars of Eternity.

They seem to consider games with a tabletop style, whatever exactly that means, to be fair game for this list.

OK, then I think the article name should have been better worded. This or my knowledge of English language is diminishing (which is also quite possible) :)

Where is Pathfinder Kingmaker?? that might be one of the best out there.

Obviously Realms of Arkania is missing.
And while we are at it, you can also add in Drakensang: River of Time ;)

Love reading the same replies on almost every list year after year.:lol:

Then again these lists are usually nothing but click-bait and invite criticism.;)

I'll settle for any good Lovecraft game regardless of genre. It's pretty sad when games like CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth and The Sinking City are the best we've got.

We do have one good one in another genre. Anchorhead, which is a text adventure by Mike Gentry.

https://anchorhead-game.com/

(I've never played this commercial version; I played the original free text only game)

Love reading the same replies on almost every list year after year.:lol:

Then again these lists are usually nothing but click-bait and invite criticism.;)

And yet there's no warnings about potentially fake and incendiary content...

Oh and since I forgot to add my opinion I can safely say I love every game the list.:smug:

Bit of an odd list, but as these kinds of lists are silly and just a few people opinions I dont put too much stock in them.

Should have listed Pool of Radiance by SSI and some of the other SSI games as already mentioned. To be honest of those games I have played none really feel like real tabletop play.

Back
Top Bottom