Some rpg fan art

Did a little more work on the hands and skin plus turned into an ad or sample work I can do for indy devs such as Vogel.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're serious or just joking/making fun of us (Your reply #8 in the "Question about purchasing games on online stores using paypal" thread suggests your joking). But if you really want to illustrate games, well, you need to work considerably on you skills, because the things you've shown here are, sad to say, not very good.

A few highlights:
  1. The anatomy of the two characters are wrong.
  2. Everything is just flat, with little elaboration of shape.
  3. No real understanding of perspective.
  4. Colors are a bit dirty, and I'm not sure what the distribution of them is meant to represent.
  5. The picture with the cloaked figure in front of the gate (?): The cload is just a triangular blob, without showing the body it's supposed to enfold.
  6. It's not clear to me what the roundish flat thing behind the characters is.

And I could go on and on. It would surprise me if any developer would accept your work as it is now.

The good thing is that you can improve your skills. I often hear people say "I can't draw", and by that meaning they can never be good at drawing. That is not true, anyone can improve their skills considerably by practising. Sure, talent is a factor, but the most important thing is to practice, practice, practice. And practice.

A few hints:
  1. Work with pencil and paper. Gives you much more control than drawing on a pad (that comes later).
  2. Work with physical objects, things you can see: objects, people, landscapes rather than things from your imagination (that comes later).
  3. Focus on the 3d shape of what you draw, using light and shadow.
  4. Learn to see what you see, that is, pay closely attention to the distribution of light and shadow. There are a lot of important details normally overlookedc by the untrained eye.
  5. Copy works of other artists (for the purpose of training).
  6. Draw the same things again and again. Most people when trying to draw something become disappointed with the results, and either stops drawing, or try to draw something else. And by that doen't learn from their mistakes.

Personally I would also advice learning to draw before starting with colors.

I don't know how far you can get, but if you start working seriously, you may very well eventually achieve your goals. But your're not there at the moment, and it will take a lot of time and effort to succeed.

Best wishes.

pibbur

Last edited:
By all means, if you can get paid for this, good for you. But I will be really surprised if you do. I've seen Vogel's stuff and IMO it's far better than yours.

As for which hammer I like best? Frankly, none of them.

Well, you asked for our opinion, and I've given your mine, including some advice regarding how to improve. I'm not going into a discussion about this with you.

pibbur

i choose who i communicate with wnd choose not to with the likes of you.

Last edited:
This is the last thing I'm going to write about this. Yes, I think the pictures from Vogel is far better than what you have shown here. They're not great, but they've got perspective, the characters are well defined, they've got volume and are anatomically correct. In short the issues I mentioned lacking in your pictures are more or less in place here. No, I don''t find your use of color particularly good.

Trying to be artistic is all good and well, but I can't see that you succeed in that.

You don't see this. It surprises me, it really does, but your are of course entitled to your opinion. However, we won't agree, and I see no point in continuing the discussion.

But as I said, despite my doubts, good for you if you manage to sell some of this. And if you try, I still think you can improve your skills. Time will tell.

pibbur

Last edited:
I've said what I had to say. We will never agree, so for me this ends here.

pibbur

I agree with everything Pibbur said. If you enjoy yourself doing this that is fine, but Vogel's work is indeed better than yours.

Back
Top Bottom