Realmz

I was trying to ignore this game due to an already extensive backlog but the more I read the better it sounds.

I will download and add to my backlog. I think if they stopped making video games tomorrow I could play for another 5 yrs and not finish all my games.

Is there a manual or is it pretty standard d20?

Think very early D&D and you're close. TSR threatened to sue the dev and he had to make some changes so the game wasn't a 100% ripoff of AD&D. I'd definitely read the manual. It comes with the game and it's a tiny download for the whole thing.

I gave it a quick try. Seems like a neat game, but is there any way to increase the size of the game window? The graphics are too small for me to play this comfortably for any length of time.

I see this is actually a trial version. Do they really expect people to pay $20 for a 19 year old game?

Game is free and the registration codes are listed elsewhere in the thread. I play it in 800X600 as that's the lowest my monitor can go. You could play it in dosbox with Dfend and use their auto-scaler. It works okayish.

Great tips, man. I was able to gain some much needed experience fighting in the places you recommended. I will be going back there to hopefully level up everyone to level 2 and then tackling the other areas.

What do you think of my party?
Orc Beserker
Human Battlemage
Human Warlock
Dwarf Priest
Pixie Rogue

My Pixie Rogue is pretty useless, but I'm keeping her around for picking locks and stuff. I'm wondering if I shouldn't ditch her, though. She can't carry anything and her attacks always miss. My Battlemage misses a lot too. Seems like my Beserker is the only one who can kill stuff efficiently, along with the Warlock.

I'm thinking of adding a 6th party member, an Elf Fencer. What do you think of the experience bonus, though? Having 6 party members will mean the EXP bonus goes to something like 66%. Does that make a big difference or should I not worry about that?

You can play 6 level one pcs at normal and get 100%. Your party is kinda weak though, so I see why you turned it down. I'm trying a Battlemage with my next party. I'll send the file along if I can figure out how to upload to the Watch. Look at my 1st level party, maybe fight a battle or two with them and compare. You could always just rename my dudes and use them if you like them better. I am a chronic re-roller so I have good stats. I'll upload a save from where they've not even taken a step.

Welp, that didn't work. You can only attach a zip file of 97k to the Watch. This file is about 280k.

Game is free and the registration codes are listed elsewhere in the thread. I play it in 800X600 as that's the lowest my monitor can go. You could play it in dosbox with Dfend and use their auto-scaler. It works okayish.

So the only way to change the resolution is to change the desktop res?

Also, is there any way to save other than quitting out of the game?

Yes, just click on game and then save, I think. There are 10 save slots, A-J. Ctl-F is a quicksave. I'll edit this post with better instructions if I have time to launch it today.

Okay, it is Game up across the top and then choose save current game. There are Ctrl-L for load, Control-F for quicksave, Ctrl-S for standard save, and Ctrl-Q for quit, which will ask if you want to save too. Note that if you have any other app open that uses the Ctrl keys, Realmz Ctrl won't work sometimes. Ctrl-E will end current adventure and take you to the main screen.

Last edited:
Helpful cheats to make surviving easier. I will put what the cheat does in normal text and how to do the cheat in spoiler tags.

My mages keep running out of mana! I don't want to rest all the time because we will all age!

Okay, create a dummy character and start a new game. Have this person go to the magistrate's bulding and search in the eastern section for a hidden door heading north. Follow this till you see a pile of treasure in a room in the sw corner. There will be some Juice of Safu. This juice regenerates all mana. Once you have the juice, save and just restart the game with the same dude. Do not try to leave the building with the treasure. The magistrate will attack. Instead, choose encounter, then speak, and type the word 'Home' and press done. This will take you to the starting square of the scenario. End your game and start over; the treasure will be back. This is tedious but it will get the job done. I grabbed about 8 or 10 of them to use in dire situations.It is a life saver.

I'm miles deep in a dungeon and can't find my way out and I'm out of supplies! Use the crown of return or cheat:

Choose encounter, then speak and type Home. This will take you back to the city.

I'll add more as I remember/come up with them.

Thanks for the additional tips. That second one will come in very handy.

My party does suck, so I think I'm gonna roll a new one. The Battlemage seems to be useless, as does the Pixie Rogue, so yeah, new party it is.

Battlemages are fine, just remember to roll them like a pure warrior and add a little knowledge for later on. In other words, he should have Brawn, Agility, and Vitality as high as possible. Knowledge should be 16 or higher if possible too. Pick a race that is strong across the board, like a Dwarf.

Yeah, I was not re-rolling my characters, so I was starting with bad stats. Now that I have re-rolled everyone, it seems to be better.

However, is there any way to see how many hit points the character is going to start with? I figured it would be tied to Vitality but it doesn't appear to work that way.

I re-rolled an Elf Battlemage and a Shadow Elf Rogue, but each of them start with 4/4 HP. Is that normal? The rest of my party isn't much better, but my Orc Berserker got lucky I guess and starts with 17/17.

My new party is -
Human Fighter
Human Warlock
Orc Berserker
Shadow Elf Rogue
Dwarf Priest
Elf Battlemage

Here's a tip > Make sure if you create a magic user that you get the Level 3 ability of Identify Objects. This seems crucial. If you can't identify anything the shop keepers will not give you any gold for the items. This is important obviously for making gold, and especially important if you plan on grinding a bit to level up early in the game in CRPGNut's recommended place. If you fight there you will be picking up a ton of unidentified loot, and you can make quite a bit of gold while you level if you have someone who can identify it.

Also, it's not cost efficient to pay the shopkeepers to identify something. Makes having the skill in your party very useful.

And make sure your magic user has at least 25 magic points to be able to cast it.

However, is there any way to see how many hit points the character is going to start with? I figured it would be tied to Vitality but it doesn't appear to work that way.

Hit points show on the right hand side of the character sheet when rolling. It is called Stamina in the game, remember. Stamina is tied to Vitality after the first level. You should check Stamina and Spell Points after every roll. Don't want to take any characters with less than 7/8 hit points if mage, and you'll want 15 or higher for combat characters.

Ahh, that clears it up. Many thanks. Time to re-roll my party yet again, haha.

Ahh, that clears it up. Many thanks. Time to re-roll my party yet again, haha.

Also, as far as identify objects go, it is a level one sorcerer spell, along with a level 3 enchanter skill. You could take a sorcerer if you wanted to get the spell earlier/cheaper. Here's a good site for spells.

http://mysite.verizon.net/boruthebrave/spells.html

Note that this was on a previous version of Realmz and so everything may not be accurate. That's basically the case on anything Realmz related. There have been like 25 releases!

Last edited:
Ah, very good info about the spells. Identify is crucial and getting it cheaper on level 1 would be much better, since at level 3 it costs 25 magic points to cast for a warlock, so it was taking me forever to rest, cast identify on one person's haul, rest again, cast identify on the next person's haul, etc. I may just roll a Sorcerer instead of a Warlock. Thanks once again.

Ah, very good info about the spells. Identify is crucial and getting it cheaper on level 1 would be much better, since at level 3 it costs 25 magic points to cast for a warlock, so it was taking me forever to rest, cast identify on one person's haul, rest again, cast identify on the next person's haul, etc. I may just roll a Sorcerer instead of a Warlock. Thanks once again.

I think it still costs 25, no matter which level you get it at, but check the charts. Once you get to level 4-6, you'll start identifying normal equipment without the spell. It might be worth stripping one guy of all stuff and then giving him all the unidentified stuff for one casting. However, you will often have enough stuff to fill up everyone's inventory. After awhile, you won't need the money, so you'll stop gathering anything but magical equipment, but this takes awhile.

Okay, so I probably will roll a Warlock after all, since it takes 25 no matter what.

Edit - I'm dumb. I see the reason you would want a Sorcerer using it even though it still costs 25. It only takes 1 skill point to learn, whereas for Level 3 Warlock it takes 6 points to learn. Sorcerer it is.

What I have been doing is fighting those mercenaries and loading up everyone's inventory to the max, then going back to the shop and taking the time to identify everything and selling, then going back for another load. It's a great way to make enough money early on to buy some better gear.

If only I could stick with a party :). I think this time I'm gonna stick with who I rolled since I know what I'm doing now. I was able to get some good starting stats.

Also, your tip of save often is very important. Save after every battle. If someone goes up a level in the next battle, all the stats they gain are random and could potentially suck. I found myself reloading when my Priest gained a level but only gained 1 spell point. I reloaded and he gained 12 after fighting the battle again. Very important if you want to shoot for better stats.

Last edited:
If you have decent judgement, that spellpoint roll is often in the 20's. I'm replaying the first scenario and my level 4 cleric has 78 spell points.

Back
Top Bottom