Alpha Protocol tips and tweaks, low spoiler.

Acleacius

SasqWatch
Please only general/slight spoilers.

As an example I would like to know which hub is best after Saudi Arabia, I tried Moscow, but after a mission, my PC addressed someone on the TV as if they had met them before IN GAME, but I had not. So this is either a bugged dialog or not the intended path. Any suggestions?

Here are tips and techniques I have found useful in enjoying a very good game, broken by bad design (no quicksaves for a buggy game and poorly described and executed dialog choices with a 5 second timer) and broken gameplay.

BEFORE, you do any of this make a NEW FOLDER, called Backups (or something) put a COPY of all the files you are editing FIRST before you edit them. NO don't argue with me, just do it! :p

Mouse tweaks.
set bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
in \Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

Two places here.
\My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APInput.ini

Also set in \My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APEngine.ini
the following:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=30
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

[SystemSettings]
UseVsync=False

In APEngine.ini (C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config), change the following settings:

UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
OnlyStreamInTextures=true
OneFrameThreadLag=False

My Save System
Make a Save folder here Documents\Alpha Protocol\Checkpoints\Saves, then every time you want to make a save, Alt-Tab and in Documents\Alpha Protocol\Checkpoints COPY the "default.sav" to your new Save folder and rename it, here's an example of mine.
Start.sav
PreTechTraining.sav
PreWeaponsTraining.sav
PreCovertTraining.sav
PreInterrogation.sav
SaudiArabiaStart.sav
Airfield 1.sav
AirField 2.sav
Tower.sav

And so on. Then when a broken or buggy bit happens all you do is copy your save to Documents\Alpha Protocol\Checkpoints, Delete default.sav and rename your COPIED save file to default.sav , it will save you lots of headaches and frustrations. ;)

Additionally in Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APEngine.ini one of the biggest Framerate drops seems to be from Quality Bloom so I set it to =0, I also tested setting MaxAnisotropy=0 the game still looks and runs fine. It's just not a really well optimized game, this is Obsidian's first time on Unreal, so…..

Thanks for any tips. :biggrin:

I argued with you and didn't back it up, after turning on high poly char models my game is now black and red with weird buggy lights hehe. Good post, though I'd point out that my mouse settings all reverted after restarting the game, the vid settings did not though.

though I'd point out that my mouse settings all reverted after restarting the game, the vid settings did not though.
Odd, maybe that's a bug, if you change them in the Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APInput.ini or Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APEngine.ini they shouldn't get overwritten. You could do a right clicky/properties on the .ini file, set it to Read Only, though this wasn't necessary on mine afaik.

Ya, I'm reinstalling the game atm, as reverting my changes to the ini file actually didn't fix my graphics bug. I've had to use the read only trick on a few games, so I'll try that next time.

To add, the game often has script bugs when reloading the game using the "restore last checkpoint" option instead of going to the load screen. If you go to the load screen the scripts almost never break.

I do not have any bugs and game runs perfectly (without any tweaking)

But saving. Yea. There is so many ways you can screw the missions and future mission. You should always save when on check point

Back
Top Bottom