The TV Series discussion thread

Ah, so this is a men’s club. ‘Romantic stuff’ is boring.
Men club might be, I'm male too, however romantic stuff to me isn't boring if done well. Thus Goblin. If you find a male who didn't fall in love with the girl there, they lie. Aka, don't watch it with "hubby". :D

In my case however, romance on it's own, or drama on it's own, is something I can't stand. It's a fuel, not an engine. Needs another genre to function. Romance&drama, okay if they support a comedy. Or tragedy. Or horror. Or scifi. Or whatever mixture.
But only romance and drama? Get off my property. I might as well sniff some glue.
Note that the same goes for all kinds of relationship, positive or negative. That includes any kind of friendship or abuse (example Once Were Warriors wrongly set as crime on imdb while tragedy tag on the same imdb does not exist).
Just my taste.

Additionally, although I said before. I loathe dick centric stories like Bioshock Infinite where a goddess is drawn to misery because there is no dick around. On the other hand, I can't adore more femme fatale concept. Still didn't choose Yen in TW3 but wouldn't have any complaints if it was the only possible route. ;)

Last edited:
Additionally, although I said before. I loathe dick centric stories like Bioshock Infinite where a goddess is drawn to misery because there is no dick around. On the other hand, I can't adore more femme fatale concept. Still didn't choose Yen in TW3 but wouldn't have any complaints if it was the only possible route. ;)
If you read the books then play the games, you know that Triss (CDProjekt's Triss at least) is way more manipulative and lies a lot to Geralt.
Yen maybe look and act like a femme fatale, but she's in reality more honest, generous and dignify (she never hesitate to sacrifice herself or her reputation for her lover Geralt) than the red head sorceress.

Ah, so this is a men’s club. ‘Romantic stuff’ is boring.
Perhaps you’d be so kind to name all the series ‘the wife’ is watching every now and then while discussing Smurfette principle dominated stuff? I might like to check them out.

Ah you jump to conclusions...

I never said romantic stuff are boring it just the romantic stuff my wife watches :p

I was not referring to you specifically. One is not a (men’s) club.
I saw several condescending postings about the tastes of ‘the’ wife.
Everybody is free to dislike whatever s/he wants, but skip the attitude of ‘us men know/do better’.

Last edited:
I was not referring to you specifically. One is not a (men’s) club.
I saw several condescending postings about the tastes of ‘the’ wife.
Everybody is free to dislike whatever s/he wants, but skip the attitude of ‘us men knowing/doing better’.

Fair enough but I will still suggest that you are jumping to conclusions… :)

When I say "my wife watches boring romantic stuff" I don't mean that in condescending way towards her nor I know better than her etc since she is very intelligent women. She does the same thing to me in reverse too with games ("stupid", "childish")! I think these are all sort of "teasing" behaviour designed to create "fake tension" to spice up the romance :p Sometime it can back fire but so is the mystery's of life :)

You can observer such behaviour among close friends too.

This needs its own thread if it's going to be a debate. I don't personally see anything wrong with husbands and wives teasing each other for their practices. Nothing necessarily condescending about it, unless one chooses to view it that way.

This needs its own thread if it's going to be a debate. I don't personally see anything wring with husbands and wives teasing each other for their practices. Nothing necessarily condescending about it, unless one chooses to view it that way.

No debates here, I am just having a banter with a good friend :)

Fair enough but I will still suggest that you are jumping to conclusions… :)

When I say "my wife watches boring romantic stuff" I don't mean that in condescending way towards her nor I know better than her etc since she is very intelligent women. She does the same thing to me in reverse too with games ("stupid", "childish")!
What you do with your wife is your business.
I think these are all sort of "teasing" behaviour designed to create "fake tension" to spice up the romance :p
Sometime it can back fire but so is the mystery's of life :)

You can observer such behaviour among close friends too.
If you combine the words cringe fest and romantic stuff in one sentence like you did on the previous page I do not see any tease, definetely not aimed at your wife, but a personal opinion.
Which is fine. Your wife watches boring stuff, according to you. I may even agree with you, for there are some pretty boring romantic films and series. Again, my post was not aimed at you specifically, it was the the attitude of ‘us men know/do better’ that annoyed me.

This needs its own thread if it's going to be a debate. I don't personally see anything wrong with husbands and wives teasing each other for their practices.
I do not see husbands and wives teasing each other in this thread. I don’t see wives. You guys felt you were amongst yourselves having fun about the likings of ‘the wife’. Forgetting you are on a public forum that is frequented by women.

Nothing necessarily condescending about it, unless one chooses to view it that way.
Sure, it always feels good when looking down from above.

Last edited:
I prefer to think that all opinions are equally valid. I didn't feel that way twenty or thirty years ago, but experience has proved to me that what I might dismiss offhand, be it a novel, film, or television show, might actually have some merit if you give it a chance. Plenty of friends and family have opened my eyes to wonders that I might otherwise completely missed out on.

I still feel slapped dunno why as I never mentioned gender "compatibility" of series. But whatever, being a colateral damage on a forum is still better than just lurking. :D

A new gem for all genders, but definetly not for kids: The Haunting of Hill House.
It's creepy, it's eery and it's playing with your mind till it's very end. At first you'll be confused why is it jumping back and forward in time, but it's carefully wowen narrative that will hit you hard in the 5th episode and it won't stop unraveling the mystery with the same, very effective, "trick".

The title suggests this show is about a haunted house, it's a sort of "whodunnit" horror where all the time you'll ask yourself is it the mental illness, is it halucinations caused by black mold, is it suspicious neighbors or perhaps it's the house that's evil doing bad things.
One thing is sure, living in a certain house destroyed a family and after a couple of decades whatever happened in the past threatens to finish them off completely. Is it a living entity or just a misused tool, is it lovecraftian creature or an anomaly with chaotic behavior - you won't know if you don't watch it.

A few things got on my nerves though.
1. Too much of filler. If unnecessary dragging was removed, the show could easily drop one or two episodes. I'm blaming Walking Dead trend of turning everything into drag-o-rama.
2. So much, again unnecessary, screaming could and should have been reduced.
3. A (housewife basically) mother of 5 children can not look like she never had a child aka cannot be Treshold main heroine, sorry. Gugino is fantastic actress and she did an amazing performance here, but cmon, it's a classic case of miscast due to atrocious Hollywood standards when it comes to looks. Unless of course the wife supposedly went through plastic operations, liposuctions and is wearing a corset - but this wasn't shown anywhere in the show.
4. Basement monster. This scene is useless, fake tension maker and of course will never be explained as it doesn't belong in this story at all.

I have to highly recommend binge watching this almost masterpiece. Now please. Without kids.

Last edited:
I do not see husbands and wives teasing each other in this thread. I don’t see wives. You guys felt you were amongst yourselves having fun about the likings of ‘the wife’. Forgetting you are on a public forum that is frequented by women.

Sure, it always feels good when looking down from above.

It wouldn't make much sense to expect to see an equal proportion of each side of a joke in every conversation. My point is that it is not a problem whenever such jokes occur.

If someone posts, "We're going to be late, because the hubby has discovered Top Gear is on, and he won't come out until they've done the powerlap round :rolleyes: " - I don't think that's a problem. And if someone makes similar comments about the wife forcing him to sit through Strictly Come Dancing, I think that's fine too. I don't think anyone's being condescending or "looking down from above", and TBH, I think you're just being a bit oversensitive and humourless about it.

I actually had people convince me to try American Top Model, and that Survivor show for a few episodes each. I did try to watch and enjoy them both, but to this day I don't understand the attraction of either show. Some things are just not meant for everyone, is what I concluded. And that's ok!

I still feel slapped dunno why as I never mentioned gender "compatibility" of series.
Well, I certainly did not think of you when I wrote #3820.

It wouldn't make much sense to expect to see an equal proportion of each side of a joke in every conversation. My point is that it is not a problem whenever such jokes occur.
It was already obvious you did not see the problem. Stating that you do not see the problem is not a convincing argument, and does not mean there is not a problem.

If someone posts, "We're going to be late, because the hubby has discovered Top Gear is on, and he won't come out until they've done the powerlap round :rolleyes: " - I don't think that's a problem. And if someone makes similar comments about the wife forcing him to sit through Strictly Come Dancing, I think that's fine too.
Or, to win the other to your side, you could of course shrink the problem to just one post.

Ripper, all I’m saying: this is not a men’s only forum. Romantic series are welcome.
I don't think anyone's being condescending or "looking down from above", and TBH, I think you're just being a bit oversensitive and humourless about it.
Sure, if you have nothing left to convince someone with, derange the topic and start labelling. That’ll work.

====
I finished the second season of Harlots yesterday. For a moment I thought one of the main characters would be hanged, but alas, the makers did not dare to take such a drastic/modern step, so she was just send to America. Ha, hell or America…

I have now started with Vanity Fair. Impression after having watched the first episode: it is a bit simple - childish - and unbelievable. But, who knows. I have not given it up yet.

If anyone knows of a series like The Knick or Last Tango in Halifax, perhaps because your wife was thrilled about them too: let me know.

Well I watched Goblin so I'm in the clear in this discussion ;) In fact I just finished it.

The last 3 episodes were a nice touch, showing what happens afterwards (I thought it would stop at the event). I was afraid for a moment it would be a bad ending but luckily (?) it went bittersweet.

For my childish side I'm watching Castlevania and to satisfy my manly side I returned to watching longemire after a long hiatus. For the latter I'm at the end of season 4. It is okay, but I hope it will get better again in season 5.

Ripper, all I’m saying: this is not a men’s only forum. Romantic series are welcome.

Did anyone suggest that romantic stuff are not welcome? I like romance but like Joxer I too prefer if its part of something else like sci fi setting etc. This is why I was originally interested in Goblin as its sort of historical fantasy/modern day setting but the romance didn't feel realistic hence my use of the term "cringe". So I wasn't against romance per se but the portrayal of romance in that show.

Speaking of romance, I really like Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha does them. On the surface the shows are not really about romance but its major plot point and I like the way how protagonists grow towards each other.

It was already obvious you did not see the problem. Stating that you do not see the problem is not a convincing argument, and does not mean there is not a problem.

Or, to win the other to your side, you could of course shrink the problem to just one post.

Sure, if you have nothing left to convince someone with, derange the topic and start labelling. That’ll work.

No, you are making the claim that we are being condescending, and enjoying looking down on women, but not making much of a case beyond assertion. I'm rejecting your claim, and trying to illustrate why I think it's wrong with an example. My counterclaim that you are being oversensitive and humorless seems fair to me, unless you expect everyone to just accept your chastisements with, "Yes, Ma'am." My interest is not in trying to change your mind, necessarily, but to make it clear to any reasonable observer that your claim is not true.

Did anyone suggest that romantic stuff are not welcome? I like romance but like Joxer I too prefer if its part of something else like sci fi setting etc. This is why I was originally interested in Goblin as its sort of historical fantasy/modern day setting but the romance didn't feel realistic hence my use of the term "cringe". So I wasn't against romance per se but the portrayal of romance in that show.
Hahaha. I initially read:
So I wasn’t against romance per se but the betrayal of romance in that show.
:) Which made sense to me seeing some series.

Speaking of romance, I really like Rurouni Kenshin and Inuyasha does them. On the surface the shows are not really about romance but its major plot point and I like the way how protagonists grow towards each other.

I love history, the more accurate the better. Which is sometimes a problem with these costume dramas.
I first thought Versailles (which I liked watching) was not accurate, but judging from what Wikipedia writes about Louis XIV they are doing a reasonable job.

I hate when they throw historical accuracy out the window for the sake of romantic fiction too. Tried to watch The White Princess and they made the princess's mother a reluctant
witch whose curses and magick influenced the whole of British history. I hadn't seen anything so wacky since the works of incestuous pedophile Marion Zimmer Bradley

Totally agree when the storytellers try to interweave magic or other mumbo-jumbo in with real history. Not many things are a bigger turn-off for me, I just don't even comprehend why they would attempt such nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom