|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Prima Games dies miserably

Default Prima Games dies miserably

November 11th, 2018, 18:20
https://kotaku.com/strategy-guide-co…own-1830335580
Prima Games, the publishing company that has printed video game strategy guides since it was founded in 1990, is shutting down, parent company DK said yesterday. The label will no longer publish new guides starting now, and it will officially shutter in the spring.
Yea it means no Sims 5 Prima Guide that gets completely incorrect already after the first expansion.
Video killed the radio star.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 18:55
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
https://kotaku.com/strategy-guide-co…own-1830335580

Yea it means no Sims 5 Prima Guide that gets completely incorrect already after the first expansion.
Video killed the radio star.
Sorry you had such a negative experience with your Sims 5 Prima Guide, Jox But yeah, I always considered those guides condescending and overpriced. I'm not crying for them but what will the poor dummies do with no internet access and instant walkthroughs that need these things? We must think of those less fortunate.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 19:32
Sims 5 doesn't exist. I was just giving an example why Prima Games, in it's outdated form, needed to either reorganize or shutdown ages ago.

Less fortunate will, hopefully, start to think instead of relying on handholding now.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)

November 11th, 2018, 23:30
I guess the days of buying a cheat guide directly at the same time you buy the video game has passed. I wouldn't call that a bad thing, although I'm a huge proponent for the written word, not so much for these kinds of books/cheat guides, whatever they were. Honestly, I knew people that would complain if the strategy guide wasn't available when they bought the bloody game!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 00:02
What did I say on another thread print is dead long live the video walkthrough.

Seriously though the last time I bought a printed guide was back on the PS2 and XBoX 360 for JRPG games. Anyway nowadays just go to GameFAQs or Game Pressure.
--
"Praise be to the gaming gods and their holy avatar CD Projekt" - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

CD Projekt Fanboy

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 01:59
Last guide I bought was for Might & Magic VI Mandate of Heaven

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 03:16
Anyway, I find it sad to see them go. Their guides were quite good and complete.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; November 12th, 2018 at 04:12.

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 04:31
Aside from buying Wizards & Warriors on eBay and it having a guide, I got one as part of a pre-order package with Jedi Knight II - and loved the detailed way they went into everything. That was the era when there were still manuals (OK, 2002 was really at the END of that era). Oh well …
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 13:24
I love printed guides but they are completely useless these days since they are out of date even on day of the game's release. And given how developers are patching the games these days, they are not even worth it as toilet paper after months of games release

lostforever

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 20:16
The German-language X-Wing and TIE Fighter guides were incredibly hard to get. They incorporated parts of the story in written form.

Apart from that, I always had a good impression of these printed guides. Too bad they were never readily available here in Germany.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 20:20
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I love printed guides but they are completely useless these days since they are out of date even on day of the game's release. And given how developers are patching the games these days, they are not even worth it as toilet paper after months of games release
Indeed I read both the strategy guides for Pillars of Eternity and Lords of Xulima to plan out my characters and both were out of date when I actually started playing because of balancing patches.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 12th, 2018, 20:43
Last print guide I bought was for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES. I felt so sick and dirty but I was utterly stumped in the chamber where you had to open a door, gate or portal to progress in the game by lighting certain torches that were extinguished. I remember my nephew buying the Prima guide for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that was the size of a telephone book. I looked at him sadly and thought: "I was once like you."

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

November 12th, 2018, 20:54
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Personally I don't think even a catalog from Saks Fifth Avenue retail stores where the going price for a wool beanie hat is $255.00 is worth it as toilet paper. You just don't want an ink imprint of a wool beanie hat on your butthole, even $255 ones

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

November 13th, 2018, 19:37
I've had a couple experiences where their guides were incorrect in a few areas. Still, I'm sad to see them go. I still have some of my old 90s and early 00s guides, and I like to go back and look at them once in a long while for the detailed pictures in them.
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

+1:

November 13th, 2018, 20:34
Never had any of them. When I got stuck I would usually ask my friends, and if they didn't know the solution, there was always an option of writing to the local computer magazine (which I never did but the option was there, they had the section dedicated to helping stuck players). Later, when we got an internet connection, everything was few clicks away.

Ivanwah

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 13th, 2018, 21:40
That was my solution for when I got stuck in such memorable games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, etc, I would simply ask a friend or two. Usually if I took a break and then came back, a solution would eventually present itself. Watching people buy a game and the damn solution book at the very same time never failed to blow my mind.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

November 14th, 2018, 04:14
I bought one for City of Heroes. It was based on a not-late-enough beta build so it had multiple errors on day 1. As the patches rolled in, it became more and more pointless for gameplay. HOWEVER, it is nice for nostalgia!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Prima Games dies miserably