Grimoire - Interview @ RPGCodex

How about talking about Grimoire the game instead of Cleve's character?

Good point. So, what do you think of it? Have you played the demo or seen the extensive videos showing in-game footage?

Dungeon puzzles like Dungeon Master

Turn based combat with many many options

Many Spells

Lockpicking minigame

You can talk to NPCs (by Typing in words!) / you can bribe them

Items can be cursed

Alternative solutions to many quests

Much world interaction

Interesting party members

Automatic pathfinding and automap feature

Eastereggs

of cause -> you can ride on turtles ;)

What are the chances of someone like Cleve writing clever dialogue or interesting quests?
Sure the nutjob has an overactive imagination bordering on psychosis but that hardly qualifies him to write anything worth the effort of reading it.
Also he is a cunthook.

What are the chances of someone like Cleve writing clever dialogue or interesting quests?
Sure the nutjob has an overactive imagination bordering on psychosis but that hardly qualifies him to write anything worth the effort of reading it.
Also he is a cunthook.

Well wasn't that an insightful post. I have played the game, it is quite good. Probably was close to ready about 5 years ago. Too bad this thread is about trolling the maker instead of talking about the game.

The game is well written, the dialogue is clever and often funny while the quests are complex and well constructed. Even though I am currently P!@@#$ off with him, the game itself is well worth playing!!

The game is well written, the dialogue is clever and often funny while the quests are complex and well constructed. Even though I am currently P!@@#$ off with him, the game itself is well worth playing!!

Might be an ignorant or n00b question? But what did he do this time?

Regardless of what I think about the content of Cleve´s rants, based on reading some of them I´d say that one thing is quite clear - the guy can write :).

I have played the game, it is quite good.
Exhaustively awesome addition to the topic, thank you!

Dungeon puzzles like Dungeon Master

Turn based combat with many many options

Many Spells

Lockpicking minigame

You can talk to NPCs (by Typing in words!) / you can bribe them

Items can be cursed

Alternative solutions to many quests

Much world interaction

Interesting party members

Automatic pathfinding and automap feature

Eastereggs

of cause -> you can ride on turtles ;)
I´m sorry, but how how does repeating what was said in the interview or is part of the indiegogo pitch constitute "talking about the game"?
Shouldn´t talking about the game be more along the lines of what we think of or expect from these features or something?

As a fan of Wizardry 7, I´m obviously seeing the potential of playing its spiritual successor as an appealing prospect, but I don´t quite understand why some people have apparently problems understanding that some other people resent the game based on its creator alone.
When someone has this pronounced public persona it can become difficult to disaffiliate creator from creation and this can (when such persona is viewed in markedly negative light) taint the experience with the creation notably.

Personally I somehow don´t feel like discussing the game´s merits further at this point, but I´d say that at least on the surface it seems like all ingredients that might make Grimoire a fun game for a Wizardry fan seem to be in place and some more "modern" features like "autowalking" seem like sensible additions. The vital question is how well it all holds together and I don´t think there´s enough info to determine that (and the idiosyncratic development cycle does not play into this exactly positively, in my book).
One specific note I´d add is that the UI seems remarkably well designed, considering how complex the game appears to be, so there´s that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom