Microsoft - Is Buying Credibility

Yeah, I have a really hard time picturing how this could mean anything positive for me as a crpg fan.

I'm imagining that either they'll be forced to alter/adapt their style of game making, into something that has much less (or none) interest for me or they'll be pressured to only release on Microsoft Store or on certain MS approved platforms that exclude anything MS wants to exclude.

That Obsidian video really makes me cringe. It sounds so much like the standard, average "heard-a-million-times-before": -Sure, we sold out to the big $$ but lets put a positive spin on it for as long as it's possible to do so. (until they close us down in 3-5)
For Obsidian, you're probably right, at least in the long-term. But for inXile, how can this be anything but a good thing? I liked Torment even though it wasn't anywhere near as good as promised, but Bard's Tale IV just looks bad, and both games were big sales flops. So W3's budget would have had to be gimped as a result of the previous two games not selling, plus its Fig not being super successful. And given that they're trying to shoe-horn co-op multiplayer into it too, it'd probably turn out terrible too. So, W3 would flop then they'd go out of business probably? Now with the MS purchase, at least they will get a chance to do something cool…I guess?

Well all I can say is that building CRPG of ye old days is going to be reserved for upcoming developers that aim to do AA development :)

But honestly I think Obsidian should have gone 3D for PoE. Isometric is nice and fine, but PoE in NwN suite would have been much better way to reach wider audience without sacrificing a lot features that make one game CRPG.

Just throwing my opinion out there :)

Obsidian - Poor sales of PoE2 in eight months & disappointed FIG investors.

InXile - Poor sales and public reception of last two games.

Lesson learned niche games don't sell and they cant keep making them.

Watch the obsidian press release video they mention struggling game to game.

But struggling is what's normal in this business, moreso of course if you are a mid-sized developer, since you're forced to put many eggs in few baskets. Yeah, that means they risk sizeable layoffs at regular intervals, and that's a shame.
A larger company can spread its risks better, true, but they'll just cut some fat like a couple underperforming studios if the numbers don't look the way they'd like...

Strong words but it's still a niche market based on sale numbers not your opinion. I don't make the rules of the industry, and yes I hate microtransaction pay-to-cheat RPGs.

Luckily most are not made made that way. Just the EA and Ubisoft games mostly.
That's fair enough, I don't dispute that.

Lesson learned niche games don't sell and they cant keep making them.
AAA niche games don't sell enough to keep a AAA studio in business. So thank god for indies!

AAA niche games? Does that even exist? :D

Let's try to find AAA title that ruined a company and more. Best example is probably Amalur.
Was it niche? I don't think so. In fact it had everything mainstream wants - flashy graphics, click2win combat, completely irrelevant story and endlessly respawning trashmobs.
Yet it sunk.

Why it wasn't selling? I mean, it was selling but not as much as it should have to cover investment.
I know why I didn't buy it, but why everyone else suddenly refused to buy something that's almost a blueprint of AAA mainstream, honestly, don't know.

So are the two studios effectively merged then since they appeal to the same market? There's some redundancy here.

So are the two studios effectively merged then since they appeal to the same market? There's some redundancy here.

It looks like both studios have games in preproduction or production. InXile has Wasteland 3, Obsidian an unamed RPG. I'm sure Microsoft will help finish those games and then watch very carefully how they sell.

Well, InXile would be bankrupt soon. And after the PoE2 fiasco, Obsidian would probably not survive a lot, too. So, if both companies release 2-3 games and then start to release shit it's actually still better than if they had to close NOW. Let's not kid ourselves, these two companies were not in good shoes right now. Not at all.

Oh? What was so terribly bad about POE2? The worst problem I had with it was with blurry video, but then, I only have an Nvidia 650, it may be related to the age of my graphics card.

That I can agree on. So in this case the lesser evil is better.:nod:

Then again, there IS the school of thought that the lesser of two evils is STILL evil. Given what Microsoft did to Lionhead, they are getting a reputation as a place where studios go to be chopped up like kindling.

I would be another to jump on the bandwagon of saying that at least this acquisition is superior to either EA or Ubijunk buying them.

Possibly. Those two companies ARE known as some of the Barf McVaders of the gaming industry. Then again, anybody who uses Windows 10 knows that quality and competence in Microsloth's case are not only separated, but divorced and seeing other people. That gives me pause.

If Microsloth thinks THIS will buy them any credibility, boy, will THEY ever be disagreeably surprised. Any mention of these people with their reputation for unreliable OS's is highly likely to result in people saying something unprintable and contributing to the Cussing Jar yet AGAIN.

Then again, there IS the school of thought that the lesser of two evils is STILL evil. Given what Microsoft did to Lionhead, they are getting a reputation as a place where studios go to be chopped up like kindling.
What Microsoft did to Lionhead was a kindness in my book. They kept them for THREE FABLES!!! I wouldn't have done that if it were up to me.

AAA niche games? Does that even exist? :D

Yes, it does. Economy Simulations, like the Anno series, for example. Only sells here in Germany. But nowhere else.

And by definition, that's a niche.

Too bad, though, that the term "AAA game" normally means = "FPS" , though.

Oh? What was so terribly bad about POE2? The worst problem I had with it was with blurry video, but then, I only have an Nvidia 650, it may be related to the age of my graphics card.

The game is great. The sales are what's been terrible.

I really enjoyed the first Pillars of Eternity, and I'm sure the second is equally good. The way they stagger the later content though kept me from buying the second at launch, and I suspect many others held off as well. Microsoft is likely to make that marketing philosophy good by comparison.

Don't even know who you are sir as you only have ten posts.:p

But yes lesser of the Evils as the other two are known for only caring about MP, and a shit ton of micro-transactions. So yes I'll choose Microsoft over EA & Ubisoft.
The game is great. The sales are what's been terrible.
Yes the game has gotten great reviews and good reception, but not sales.

Back
Top Bottom