Elex Elex First Impressions

I'm enjoying the callbacks to the Gothics...

A domed city, a lighthouse full of thieves and king's sorrel!

Don't forget Jack, but then he makes appearance also in Risen games. ;)

I'm enjoying the callbacks to the Gothics…

A domed city, a lighthouse full of thieves and king's sorrel!

There was a thread on Reddit about how Elex is set in the same world as Gothic. In fact Elex is the past of Gothic world. Apparently in Gothic 2, you can find a rusted car in some mountain. It was supposed to be an Easter egg but some people think that was hint. The car was a left over from Elex's time! Apparently the berserks succeeded in getting rid of elx and the world only has mana by the time of Gothic!

Last edited:
… but some people... what? :p

Anyway, did anyone find "XY was here" note? I wonder which game that XY is from. :D

Yes and are in the game as collectibles instead of credits just to excuse a whatnot achievement. ;)

Grinding and rush to power isn't the best approach for such game. Exploration is the best part and if the thrill of danger mostly disappear because you can kill almost anything, then exploration lost a lot of its charm.

This is one of the very strong points of G2 at least in some parts. And that's why I enjoyed FO3 because I could reproduced it a bit with deep exploring before character becomes too strong. For now it seems Elex is just at another level, so cool on exploring, so many thrilling exploration to do, many quests leading you in dangerous areas.

Better not level up and power up too fast and lost this fun. :=)

Grinding and rush to power isn't the best approach for such game. Exploration is the best part and if the thrill of danger mostly disappear because you can kill almost anything, then exploration lost a lot of its charm.

This is one of the very strong points of G2 at least in some parts. And that's why I enjoyed FO3 because I could reproduced it a bit with deep exploring before character becomes too strong. For now it seems Elex is just at another level, so cool on exploring, so many thrilling exploration to do, many quests leading you in dangerous areas.

Better not level up and power up too fast and lost this fun. :=)

Level up too fast???? I'm Level 10 with 50 plus hours in the game. And speaking of deep exploring with huge rewards, I had a little surprise today when some baddies jet packed to my little sniper hidey hole. LOL. I was so dead with my level 10 self. . . . and surprised.

Another surprise in the game dealt with all those notes and journals you find through out the game world. I found a nice little place in the mountains to relax and go through my inventory. As I was reading and clicking through all the notes and journals I was getting 10 experience points for each read through. I never noticed it before because the notification fonts are too light to notice reading those messages when they are by themselves (at least for me). But when I was going through the 50 plus notes and journals, the experience reward notifications were clearly visible (10 for notes, 20 for journals). So make sure you take a moment to go through those messages, there might be some points coming your way.

Another surprise in the game dealt with all those notes and journals you find through out the game world. I found a nice little place in the mountains to relax and go through my inventory. As I was reading and clicking through all the notes and journals I was getting 10 experience points for each read through. I never noticed it before because the notification fonts are too light to notice reading those messages when they are by themselves (at least for me). But when I was going through the 50 plus notes and journals, the experience reward notifications were clearly visible (10 for notes, 20 for journals). So make sure you take a moment to go through those messages, there might be some points coming your way.

You never noticed it because they patched it in with the recent patch. It's new. :)

My little review/impressions after 70 hours. Nothing too serious, just penned it quickly, and it mostly talks about the various features I find interesting in it, with a few flaws in there as well.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/fluent2332/recommended/411300

Informative review, Fluent!

Elex really has me intrigued, given the positive response by the many frequent Watchers. I'm not too bothered by the relatively janky animations, but a hand crafted world with no level scaling is already a huge plus.

I'm terribly tempted.

Informative review, Fluent!

Elex really has me intrigued, given the positive response by the many frequent Watchers. I'm not too bothered by the relatively janky animations, but a hand crafted world with no level scaling is already a huge plus.

I'm terribly tempted.

It's definitely worth it if you're into it for the exploration, lack of level-scaling and overall slow progression curve. It's a PB game through and through and probably their highest quality and most polished one yet, so if that means anything to you then there you go. I'd say it's up there, if not surpassing Gothic 1 & 2 and Risen 1 for me.

It's like Risen 1 set in a huge hand-crafted world pretty much.

Nasty ...is insane!!!!

Does she have a death-wish!? I only managed to recruit her recently by jetting away to a distant location and sniping at the huge monster we were 'fighting together' with fireballs...melee was near instant death. She went down very quickly. She seems to think she's hot stuff with a sword - well, news flash for you Nasty, you're actually quite crap :p She always goes down quickly - the Outlaw guy seems better actually. Now I just returned to camp and she whisked me away to fight two giant Cyclops creatures ...which she promptly charged (she's supposed to be a strategic genius too...) It did not end well...I tried to flee and ran into a pack of some nasty raptor creatures. sigh. When I reload I'll avoid moving near her in the camp ;-)

Does she have a death-wish!? I only managed to recruit her recently by jetting away to a distant location and sniping at the huge monster we were 'fighting together' with fireballs…melee was near instant death. She went down very quickly. She seems to think she's hot stuff with a sword - well, news flash for you Nasty, you're actually quite crap :p She always goes down quickly - the Outlaw guy seems better actually. Now I just returned to camp and she whisked me away to fight two giant Cyclops creatures …which she promptly charged (she's supposed to be a strategic genius too…) It did not end well…I tried to flee and ran into a pack of some nasty raptor creatures. sigh. When I reload I'll avoid moving near her in the camp ;-)
Explore her story and you'll find out more about her. They actually took the time to explain that stuff. :)

People were complaining about story in Elex but I find it pretty good in general. The main quest as well as all the side quest were all very interesting. The problem is with the quality of English and not the story itself. Its like they got their English intern to do the translation!

It's definitely worth it if you're into it for the exploration, lack of level-scaling and overall slow progression curve. It's a PB game through and through and probably their highest quality and most polished one yet, so if that means anything to you then there you go. I'd say it's up there, if not surpassing Gothic 1 & 2 and Risen 1 for me.

It's like Risen 1 set in a huge hand-crafted world pretty much.

Surpassing even Gothic 2, you say? Interesting. That's quite an accomplishment, given that Gothic 2 has a lot of nostalgia backing it up for many people.

I've been spending some time looking at videos and screenshots of Elex, and it certainly looks pretty. Architecture seems like it was crafted with care. I'm slowly becoming convinced to bite the bullet this weekend. The last game even remotely similar to Elex that I played was Skyrim, and I was greatly disappointed by that one. If Elex is in the vein of the Gothic games (and it's stable with constant support), I'll most definitely take the plunge.

@Ragnaris; - do it! I'm enjoying myself immensely, despite some minor gripes about how they have implemented things like the UI. I wasn't sold on the weird fantasy/sci-fi setting, but it's grown on me. The world is very big and there is a lot to see and do. If you do bite the bullet, give it a chance to grow on you - initially when I fired it up I was a little 'meh', but that soon vanished as I started interacting with the world and NPCs.
EDIT: I've had no crashes or any weirdness and the game has been stable for me and runs smoothly. I do have a reasonably high-end system though.

seems like the core mechanics are kind of broken…

quote;

"Lets see. A character with 10 Constitution gains +5 max HP on each level up. Immediately after increasing Constitution above 10 max HP does not change at all. A character with 100 Constitution still gains +5 max HP on each level up. So unless you call a ZERO contribution "minuscule" there is a bug…

P.S. Retested on latest patch."

(devs says core mechanics are not bugged, which many people are reporting).. not sure who to believe.. however they do not seem too interested to respond to the quote above (from the official forum).

I'll give it 6 months before i start playing this i think..

Back
Top Bottom