Fallout 76 players say the Atom shop prices are getting out of hand

The nuka rum is ridiculously overpriced crap, yeah, but probably not really false advertising.

People are just trying to copy the canvas bag drama. It's not quite the same thing tho.

@fatknacker50;
Can you please just summarize what exactly is falsely advertised? I do not want to watch another video about cheap rum in plastic casings. :biggrin:

I hope it's not the part where they say it raises strength and endurance by one point… :p

To clarify my opinion: The advertising material seems (to me) lack any kind of specifics on the product. That may be a shitty move in itself, but not really the same as promising one product and delivering something else, as was the case with the canvas bag.

Can you please just summarize what exactly is falsely advertised? I do not want to watch another video about cheap rum. :biggrin:

I hope it's not the part where they say it raises strength and endurance by one point… :p
Overpriced, delivered late, unfulfilled orders, and the bottle is not glass but cheap plastic. Sorry but the main point is the plastic buyers expected to get a bottle like the games.

Remember one 750ml bottle cost $80.

Well, I wouldn't pay a single cent for anything in that shop - so I guess the prices are getting out of hand.

But you earn a decent chunk of currency just playing the game, so I don't see it as a problem, even if you are into the cosmetic aspect of the game.

You'd have to be pretty ignorant of the genre-standard to compare it to real products for real money, though. I mean, go check out what "digital horses" cost in WoW or whatever MMO you care to look up.

If people want to pay 20 bucks for a pixie dust pony made up of WoW-level poly-counts - then that doesn't compare well with, say, a 200 hour game costing 5$ during a Steam sale.

But, again, you'd have to be a bit of a moron to make that comparison for FO76 as if it was, somehow, unique in that way. That, or someone carrying an biased grudge - which is even less appealing than being a moron :)

Of course, one might comfortably argue the two are not mutually exclusive.

Indeed. You also have to be very ignorant to not realize how publishers have a tendency to slowly introduce this into their games, until it eventually becomes tied to progression systems so it affects everyone, or even pay to win/PvP. Or as Chris Roberts likes to say: " You win by having fun!" ( and having a big wallet lets you have so much more "fun"!)
Anyone remembers 2017 Star Wars fan outrage? It is primary reason why EA is now extremely careful with microtransactions in Anthem.
In Bethesda's case, it's actually kind of comical/hypocritical as recently they were touting themselves as saviors of SP video games:

Anyone remembers 2017 Star Wars fan outrage?
No, but I remember about a decade old lootboxes scandal in Perfect World's Star Trek Online and raging fans (I was one of those).
As it happens, I was not a hotel owner back then and aren't one even today. Publishers do not care about common people any more, if you're not a hotel owner, you can't be a fan.

In Bethesda's case, it's actually kind of comical/hypocritical as recently they were touting themselves as saviors of SP video games:

Actually its Zenimax the parent company of Bethesda.:biggrin:
Following the ‘disappointing’ releases of Dishonored 2 and Prey, Zenimax decided that they didn’t do well because no one buys single player games, a sentiment that one source stated was “dead ass wrong.” This mindset has led to a hard pivot by Zenimax to focus more on multiplayer and live service experiences, with only a few single player games in the pipeline.

Following the ‘disappointing’ releases of Dishonored 2 and Prey, Zenimax decided that they didn’t do well because no one buys single player games
Prey is mediocre rubbish, noone lives long enough to have time for (spending $ on) mediocrity.

I have no idea why Dishonored 2 didn't sell well, not only it's another proof videogames can be art, gaming mechanics in it are absolutely awsome just as were in the prequel. Not my place to say, but if it failed I do find it odd.

In any case, seems that games industry wishes only sheep have wallets. Actual sheep. Animals. Not just people who roleplay them in RL.

Prey is mediocre rubbish, noone lives long enough to have time for (spending $ on) mediocrity.
I have no idea why Dishonored 2 didn't sell well, not only it's another proof videogames can be art, gaming mechanics in it are absolutely awsome just as were in the prequel.
The expansion was a disaster & well criticized, but I have no idea why Dishonored 2 under-performed. It was a decent game I replayed many times. Never played Prey.

This, like with Star Citizen, is plain despicable practice that exploits "fanboyism"/younger audience. I mean if you saw an adult on a street trying to sell a kid a Kinder egg for 50$, would you say: "It's on you, if you fall for it."Laws exist exactly to prevent this kind of shit, reason why lootboxes were banned in some countries. It's pathetic some are actually saying: well don't buy it, if you don't like it or doing mental acrobatics to justify it.

Not as pathetic as people who engage in mental contorsionism as that one to blow that story out of proportions.

Kids with $50 in their pockets running to a stranger in order to buy a kinder egg when they have access to a distribution of normal priced eggs at their regular store and could buy dozens of eggs for the same $50.

Kids thrown under the buys as an excuse in order to get rid of an unliked situation.

This has nothing to do with protecting kids. It also has nothing to do with unregular business practices as there are far worse cases than this hypothetical kid with 50$ in the pocket, like countries being forced to sell their commodities at the barrel of a gun to a certain price so that other economies do not come to a halt. Happening situation, nothing hypothetical.

Players do not accept to have to play to get a token that pictures them as gamers. That is all. It has nothing to do with kids (kids will spend time in the game and get the ingame curreny amount required to buy), nothing with fraud prevention as there is nothing fraudulent in it.

Never played Prey.
You've missed nothing. Even the grinding garbageware with MIDI soundtrack, DQ11, is more fun. Honestly, I have no idea what happened with Arkane while making that game. It doesn't feel as Arkane game but as an amateurish job outsourced to them and they slapped it up in about a year.

Indeed. You also have to be very ignorant to not realize how publishers have a tendency to slowly introduce this into their games, until it eventually becomes tied to progression systems so it affects everyone, or even pay to win/PvP. Or as Chris Roberts likes to say: " You win by having fun!" ( and having a big wallet lets you have so much more "fun"!)
Anyone remembers 2017 Star Wars fan outrage? It is primary reason why EA is now extremely careful with microtransactions in Anthem.

Your ignorant paranoia isn't uncommon. What's amusing is that you're pretending this case is particularly bad.

I don't really mind the fantasy that optional cosmetics that you can get for in-game currency ruin games that you don't even play.

That kind of fear mongering has existed for a very, very long time. If I had to give a rough estimate of the literally hundreds of games I've played with "real-money" transactions as part of the equation - maybe 5 of them have been bad enough to seriously impact my enjoyment of the game. Battlefront 2 is an example of that - and that's why they eventually caved and changed it.

Publishers are greedy - not necessarily stupid.

To each his own, though.

I prefer to focus on what I play myself - and that also gives me the advantage of actually understanding what I'm talking about.

But I know that's not the norm when you feel like talking and nonsense fits your agenda ;)

Your ignorant paranoia isn't uncommon. What's amusing is that you're pretending this case is particularly bad.

I don't really mind the fantasy that optional cosmetics that you can get for in-game currency ruin games that you don't even play.

If one is ignorant here, it's not him.
Fortnite cosmetics is still lootboxes and the trend is ruining games for everyone as it's not Fortnite "exclusive" but appearing in past, present and future products.

I said in another thread, if AC:Odyssey didn't include helix store, I'd instantly vote for it. But there is absolutely no way I'll ever vote for a fullpriced product that pushes microtransactions of any kind under my nose or f2p lootboxes even if I don't pay for that scam. It's irritating and it's not optional - I want an option not to see that bullshit in my games. At all. As it's not a game, it's a store that operates with (taxfree) pretend money.
Publishers are greedy - not necessarily stupid.
What kind of statement is that?
Everyone is greedy. Publishers, stupid or not, only abuse the lack of laws that would regulate scamware in videogames.

and the trend is ruining games for everyone as it's not Fortnite "exclusive" but appearing in past, present and future products.

Everyone as in everyone has unalienable human rights.

This practice ruins games for players who come to gaming for a cultural tag, do not like the idea of spending time playing games and can not bear to be taxed so they acquired tokens picturing them as gamers.

You play the game, you get ingame currency, you buy stuff. End of it.

Everyone is greedy. Publishers, stupid or not, only abuse the lack of laws that would regulate scamware in videogames.

That story does not compare to a common crowdfunded project. Unless the crowdfunded scene is regulated...

Seems he didn't watch Jim Sterling's Below Expectations video.:biggrin:
We've all heard the story. "AAA" game comes out, "AAA" game is a critical and commercial success, "AAA" game disappoints its publisher for failing to meet expectations. When you pull back and see just how often this dance is performed, it paints the picture of a panicked and desperate industry, a rotten swan kicking its decaying legs frantically across a poisoned swamp. Because that's what it is. The industry is a rotten swan.

I'm well aware that Youtube is full of little drama-queens pretending to understand the industry :)

It's an extension of gaming forums in that way. It's the new age of speaking with authority about that which you have almost zero experience - with thousands of lemmings with equally narrow minds pretending they've just been given genuine and factual information.

Let's just say I don't necessarily agree with all of them.

Back
Top Bottom