RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Shadows Awakening Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Shadows: Awakening was ready for release when it was shown at Gamescom and it will actually be released in one day. Here are my findingds from the presentation.

Shadows Awakening takes place in two realms. The earthly realm (or real world) and the shadows realm. You can switch constantly at any time from one to the other, the character you have in the real world and your shadow demon in the shadows realm. Combat in Shadows Awakening is real-time. Enemies that are in the real world exist also in the shadows realm. However you cannot harm them in the shadows realm, but you can cast spells on them. These spells will not harm them, but the effect will persist in the real world. So if you would cast a spell that stuns an enemy in the shadows realm and switch back that enemy would be stunned in the real world as well and you can easily attack it there. It works also the other way around. If you are caught in a web in the real world, you can switch to the shadows realm and move to a different location there, after which you can switch back to the real world and find yourself moved to that same location in the real world. Similarly, when a path is blocked in the real world, you might find a passage in the shadows realm.
More information.

There was also a preview key available for a 5 hour session that would have allowed to give a bit more details, but unfortunately I never received one, despite contacting various source. So you have to do with this :)

Are you saying that this is free if you own Shadows: Heretic Kingdom?

I might get Shadows: Heretic Kingdom if thats the game as this sort of looks like mindless fun :)

The devs have answered my question on steam.

Anyway you can buy Shadows: Heretic Kingdom from game.co.uk for £7 and should in theory get the new game free so I took punt and bought it. Lets see if it works!

Anyway I read somewhere that Shadows Awakening plays lot like the original Dungeon Siege (best game evar!) hence my interest in this!

This looks interesting, though I understand that each of the two games included are only ~15 hours long.

But I'll keep an eye out.

As far as I understood it the total game is just 15 hours, depending on how you play it. Then you have the different endings and the two other heroes, that have a different story and different quest, so if you want to do all three of them you are looking at 45 hours or so.

As far as I understood it the total game is just 15 hours, depending on how you play it. Then you have the different endings and the two other heroes, that have a different story and different quest, so if you want to do all three of them you are looking at 45 hours or so.

I could be wrong, but as far as I understood what I just read, this game is really "Book I and Book II" - where Heretic Kingdom was only Book I. I believe each of those books are ~15 hours long.

If the combined length is only 15 hours for each playthrough, that's even worse. That said, I almost never replay games - so maybe it's different for others.

I could be wrong, but as far as I understood what I just read, this game is really "Book I and Book II" - where Heretic Kingdom was only Book I. I believe each of those books are ~15 hours long.

If the combined length is only 15 hours for each playthrough, that's even worse. That said, I almost never replay games - so maybe it's different for others.

Same here, I don't replay games with different classes etc and to me if the combined length is only 15 hours, then its not even worth it for £7.

having said that, most people 15 hours translates to 20 hours for me but still…

It is at about 1:15 in the video, "The main story takes about 15 hours to accomplish", with approximately the same amount of side content, so it all depends on how you play it. If you are a completionist, it is apparently close to 30 hours :)
However only a part of those 15-30 hours will be different on a second or third play and only happens if you select another hero to start with as that hero has its own story and quests.

It is at about 1:15 in the video, "The main story takes about 15 hours to accomplish", with approximately the same amount of side content, so it all depends on how you play it. If you are a completionist, it is apparently close to 30 hours :)
However only a part of those 15-30 hours will be different on a second or third play and only happens if you select another hero to start with as that hero has its own story and quests.

Oh, I meant the playtime for both main quest and side content (I always do as much as I can) - so it's probably 30 hours for me :)

Which is ok, I guess. I'll have to wait and see, but the screenshots look pretty good.

I can see in the article how that might be confusing, so I modified the text somewhat.

Oh, I meant the playtime for both main quest and side content (I always do as much as I can) - so it's probably 30 hours for me :)

Which is ok, I guess. I'll have to wait and see, but the screenshots look pretty good.

30 hours for both main and said quest in single play through is what I am also getting from steam discussions as well. I am happy with 30 hours for this kind of game anyway and given that I only need to pay £7 (fingers crossed!)

30 hours for both main and said quest in single play through is what I am also getting from steam discussions as well. I am happy with 30 hours for this kind of game anyway and given that I only need to pay £7 (fingers crossed!)

For me, length is very much about the kind of game it is. It's hard getting a read on this one, so I'll just have to try it - or hear more about it :)

If it's more like Diablo - then a shorter campaign is fine.

If it's a big and expansive CRPG - then it might not be enough for me ;)

Not a fan of ARPGs but this looks interesting. But 40€ for 30 hours at max is too expensive imho.

For me, length is very much about the kind of game it is. It's hard getting a read on this one, so I'll just have to try it - or hear more about it :)

If it's more like Diablo - then a shorter campaign is fine.

If it's a big and expansive CRPG - then it might not be enough for me ;)

Yes I agree. The impression I am getting is that its more of a Dungeon siege/Diablo clone so 30 hours is more than enough for me since these kind of games can get very repetitive very quickly. They are just mindless fun when you are in the mood for serious stuff.

Not a fan of ARPGs but this looks interesting. But 40€ for 30 hours at max is too expensive imho.

Amazon has Shadows: Heretic Kingdom for about £7 as well so you can get this game buy buying Shadows: Heretic Kingdom. I would not even give this a second look at 40 euro!

Owners of the previous game already have this game and it is an open beta on steam.
--
I do not know if there is a cut off date; meaning if you buy the old game today you can still get the new game. It would be good business sense if new buyers of the old game do not get the new game for obvious reasons.

Owners of the previous game already have this game and it is an open beta on steam.
--
I do not know if there is a cut off date; meaning if you buy the old game today you can still get the new game. It would be good business sense if new buyers of the old game do not get the new game for obvious reasons.

This is a good point and I have asked this in steam forums but no answer yet. However, the dev has not said anything about cut off date either so its bit up in the air!

I've owned this game forever. If there is new content, I'm having trouble seeing it. It looks like the same game I played two years ago. It definitely isn't worth 40 anything. It's a much, much lesser game than Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. If you can pick it up for $15 or less, then I think it has enough fun to cover that. Think of this as of a single chapter Titan Quest or Grim Dawn where it ends after Chapter Two. That's this game. Plenty of fun for $15. Plus it's fun to hear Dr. Who narrating.

I've owned this game forever. If there is new content, I'm having trouble seeing it. It looks like the same game I played two years ago. It definitely isn't worth 40 anything. It's a much, much lesser game than Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. If you can pick it up for $15 or less, then I think it has enough fun to cover that. Think of this as of a single chapter Titan Quest or Grim Dawn where it ends after Chapter Two. That's this game. Plenty of fun for $15. Plus it's fun to hear Dr. Who narrating.

The new game get released tomorrow so you might see it then.

Back
Top Bottom