Fig - New 'Open-Ended' Funding Option

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameDaily reports that Fig is offering indie developers a new open-ended funding option.

Fig, which is a crowd-investing platform and publisher in its own right, operates a little differently. With their latest funding vehicle, Open Access, Fig is looking to rework how developers approach crowdfunding over the long-term, rather than being solely beholden to a 30-day campaign cycle where raising money ends as soon as that timeframe is up.

"For developers, this is a form of crowdfunding more along the lines of how games are developed," Bailey told GameDaily over email. "They get a chance to work on more of a milestone schedule and get feedback iteratively, and the community gets a chance to play early builds and be part of the development experience. Almost every time a Kickstarter fails to deliver, the first thing the community says is, 'just give us what you've got.' Now that's an integral part of the process that happens immediately."

Open Access walks a similar path to "open beta" and "early access" games being released on platforms like Steam and Epic Games Store. (Even Fortnite Battle Royale is considered "early access.") It uses an "open-ended structure to test out game features through milestones, which are tied to content." Backers and investors are able to pay for these rewards and "receive immediate access to the latest build of the game," although games are being updated throughout the development cycle throughout Open Access campaigns.

[...]
More information.

Someone alert Richard Garriot for his next scam attempt.
This could be a gamechanger for him.

Haven't seen a game on Fig I wanted to support yet except for POE II.:biggrin:

Someone alert Richard Garriot for his next scam attempt.
This could be a gamechanger for him.

I am sure Richard is working on his next scam...

How about a RPG game where you do nothing but buy things from the online store to make your home look nice.

Then he gets a 10% when you sell your house...

Oh wait he just released that game...

I also haven’t seen anything good on Fig. Also giving more time for toast to burn, is that a good idea for the backers. Most crowdfunding project that get funded, don’t ever release the product. This open access process will allow the devs to run with more money in their pocket.

I would of liked to see this option for that Starflight game on Fig. At least it would have received most of the funds that way.

I've nothing against Fig myself, but I will likely just support campaigns that are on Kick Starter, simply because I'm more familiar with them and like their business model.

Most crowdfunding project that get funded, don’t ever release the product.
Is that true or are did you just get burned funding an unfinished game? That's happened to me once or twice. My main problem is losing interest in the product by the time it's released, that and games which take three years after release to actually be finished.

I've sponsored over three hundred different projects via kick starter, and only twice has the project not produced a product. Some I'm still waiting on final results, so if that number ever changes, I'll do an update.

I have no idea nor will bother to check how many titles I've backed on KS, there were plenty.
Recently I stopped. Not because of some fail or disappointment, it's just not a single project is pushing the tech forward. Thus, if no hairworks planned, no backing for me. Anyone, anywhere and anything.

Sorry about that.

I have no idea nor will bother to check how many titles I've backed on KS, there were plenty.
Recently I stopped. Not because of some fail or disappointment, it's just not a single project is pushing the tech forward. Thus, if no hairworks planned, no backing for me. Anyone, anywhere and anything.

Sorry about that.

Nobody is pushing graphics and cpu anymore. You can't sell to handheld or consoles if you go too far down the PC route.

Well I got tired of beating the dead horse. Pretty sure many people aren't so there will be successful campaigns on outdated designs for sure, I just don't want to be a part of stagnation any more.

Fig has a nice interface.

Also a few games on there I like.

I however will not fun an open ended funding model as that encourages feature creep as the developers don't have to plan as strictly with their money and we all know they don't do a very good job of that as is.

How are you, @rune_74;?

How are you, @rune_74;?

I'm good actually....other then a really sore back right now...I'm 3d printing and playinf divinity 2....so yeah a good day.

I supported Phoenix Point.. and they fucked me with Epic :(
You can still get your money back if you contact them as the online way has been disabled. They even admitted don't care even if you do as Epic paid them well.

Wow, if that's actually true, I consider it downright deplorable. I'm really glad I avoided that campaign, based on that attitude alone I wouldn't give them a cent.

Back
Top Bottom