Starfield - Teaser Trailer and Release Date

It could have been better, but I like the art style and music, so it's already more appealing to me than Outer Worlds ever was. 'Exploring space' is what made Mass Effect one of my all-time favorite franchises, so we'll see how Bethesda translates that. I have yet to see them write a companion with more than a dozen lines of dialogue, but if they can nail that…

Probably my #1 most anticipated game now, since Baldur's Gate is still a ways off.

Kind of funny to watch this trailer and the one for Outer Worlds 2 back to back. The Starfield trailer is pretty much exactly what Obsidian is parodying.

Yeah, the trailer really wasn't. It just shows a guy climbing into a spaceship and then doing launch prep. You can see the same exact thing on any Spazz-X video. I'm not a big fan of space exploration, but I generally love Bethesda games. I'll buy it but this trailer did nothing to get me jazzed for the game. It did the job as far as telling us when it'll release, but it did nothing else at all really.

It's a teaser trailer. It seems maybe in this era of endless 20 minute deep dive videos that we've forgotten what movie style marketing used to be like. It's also a year and a half from release. I'm sure we'll eventually get all sorts of footage from and explanations of the game.

My guess is Microsoft made Bethesda and Todd release that two minute trailer. As he usually keeps quiet until it's close to release, and then shares game footage.

He admitted he prefers to do it how he handled Fallout 4 at E3 2015.

I'm mildly curious about Starfield, but one thing still bothers me:

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1404124165658009601

They're bragging about having created a new game engine for it, from stratch. This is something I kind of doubt, that it's from scratch. But regardless, they certainly don't have a good track record for that, unless they hired some new talent that took those reigns. And regardless, why not just frikkin use something that's already tried and true. So we no longer end up in the situation of building on the same buggy engine for 20+ years. I was surprised to hear Days Gone uses Unreal Engine 4. And it looked and performed amazingly, in an open-world setting. The recent coverage of UE5 should make that alone worth it. Probably they don't want to split the revenue with Epic, and they probably still think they need all the customizability that a custom engine offers. But, hey, maybe they do and I'm talking out of my ass. Whatever, I hope we don't end up in the same situation 10 years later, when they kept piling onto the same legacy engine and it becomes unmanageable and broken.

Note days gone did not perform good on the ps4 it had slow downs and everything, That being said what game engine does not go through iterations? Why would they not improve on their engine?

Still milking that "Bethesda" card.

I feel like this was just an 4 minute ad for XBox Gamepass…

Heh, I'm totally fine with it...I get 27 games coming to play for me that never leave.

Meh… no gameplay, same old Bethesda.

This E3 has been garbage, especially for RPGs but I didn’t expect much.

With Pathfinder WotR coming in September I really could care less anyway.

Heh, I'm totally fine with it…I get 27 games coming to play for me that never leave.
Yes…Yes…GamePass is worth the money sayeth their RPGWatch mouthpiece.:biggrin:

I agree but I hate renting games that can be removed at anytime.:p
Meh… no gameplay, same old Bethesda.

This E3 has been garbage, especially for RPGs but I didn’t expect much.

With Pathfinder WotR coming in September I really could care less anyway.
Damn you must have a very narrow view on what is an RPG. As there was many RPGs and games with RPG elements announced this week at E3. Just check my news-thread.

the fact that there is no multiplayer makes it good.... hopefully it's not a base builders in space...

the fact that there is no multiplayer makes it good…. hopefully it's not a base builders in space…

Not any kind of guarantee of course, but the comparisons Bethesda has dropped so far (Han Solo, Indiana Jones) would seem to indicate no base building stuff.

-Your starship is called Frontier
Wow, they really got creative here. ;)

Kind of funny to watch this trailer and the one for Outer Worlds 2 back to back. The Starfield trailer is pretty much exactly what Obsidian is parodying.
I don't think so. It lacks the action.

Not expecting this to be another Mass Effect, but I'll take Skyrim in space just fine :)

Todd just oozes douchenozzle. If I was really interested in Starfield, which I am not, I would be seriously pissed at this "teaser". Also, I swear Halo used some of the same assets later.

It's all good because I finally got to play Lost Ark today :)

Not a fan of tiny spaceships spraying torpedoes and missiles all over space and endless ship upgrades.

Side Note: Correct term is 'rein' not 'reign'. Rein in means to control. Reign means a period of rulership, usually by a king or royalty.

You can see the Starflight influence with the takeoff sequence. No doubt ship upgrades will play a major part also. I hope communication is the Starflight style where you choose a tone rather than the precise words you say. I think Bethesda will do this as a more systematic way of doing things can allow AI to create dynamic missions etc.

And regardless, why not just frikkin use something that's already tried and true. So we no longer end up in the situation of building on the same buggy engine for 20+ years. I was surprised to hear Days Gone uses Unreal Engine 4. And it looked and performed amazingly, in an open-world setting.
I hope we don't end up in the same situation 10 years later, when they kept piling onto the same legacy engine and it becomes unmanageable and broken.

CDP is also developing their own Red engine and its clearly more capable now that it was in times of W2. They could work on the engine for Starfield for like 6, 7 years… You have no idea what its capable of or what was completely redone and expanded. This idea that its Bethesda so their engine must be like "30 years old car with modern paint" is pretty ridiculous.

Hexprone said:

They could hardly know how Starfield teaser will look like. :) And elements in their trailer are not in Starfield teaser. I dont think they make parody of anything particular. It was just parody of trailer trends and quite good imho.
I think it was the best trailer of all. :)

JDR13 said:
I'd be pretty disappointed if it ended up being another Mass Effect.

So far it seems it wont be like ME. More like RPG version of No Mans Sky.
- more quests and stories
- less survival
- RPG progression of a hero
- sandbox, free flying in space, not "cutscene-flying" like in ME
- I hope they really worked on strong and interesting exploration but I assume we will see some "quality generic content" from Bethesda :)

Back
Top Bottom