CD Projekt RED - New Developments

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Gaming Bolt reports that CDPR confirmed new "AAA Cyberpunk" and The Witcher Games.

New AAA Cyberpunk and The Witcher Games Will Begin Development in 2022, CD Projekt Confirms

CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński says the Polish studio is gearing up to begin AAA development on projects in both IPs next year.

CD Projekt RED has some stuff cooking for the near future- Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3 are both getting native PS5 and Xbox Series X/S versions in early 2022, while future updates and expansions for the former are also currently in the works. Next year, however, will also see the Polish studio beginning to work on its next big projects.

Speaking in an interview with Polish outlet Rzeczpospolita, when asked if CD Projekt has plans for developing any IPs beyond Cyberpunk and The Witcher, president Adam Kiciński said that those two properties have great potential. The studio, as such, remains focused on those two only, and will begin development on big-budget AAA games in both in 2022.

"We are currently focusing on our two franchises," Kiciński said. "Both have enormous potential, so one of our strategic goals is to start working on AAA projects in parallel within our IPs, which is expected to happen next year."

This, of course, isn't the first time CD Projekt RED has said this, having made similar statements earlier this year. Some months before the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, Kiciński had also confirmed that once the action RPG has launched, CD Projekt RED will begin working on the next mainline game in the Witcher series. That said, given the fact that the studio has learnt its lesson after Cyberpunk 2077 and plans on having shorter marketing cycles for its future games, it's likely that we won't be hearing much about what's in store for the future anytime soon.

Meanwhile, CD Projekt recently also acquired The Molasses Flood, developer of The Flame in the Flood and Drake Hollow. That team is said to be working on an "ambitious" new project based on either Cyberpunk or The Witcher.
More information.

Interesting, wonder what they have in store. I remain a huge fan of them. One thing that I think helps and is great about them, is they are located in Poland as a home base, which makes them have their own cultural based approach to their games, and avoids some of the problematic culture based stuff we see happening here in the USA, which seems largely agenda driven and political, and that has a negative impact on games in general.

Less US-centric based rpg developers, and more from other different cultural based countries, please! Ones that are largely immune to US culture, political influences and passing fads, please.

I just hope their new games are classical fantasy based and they don't decide to start doing something too radical and off base like go into first person shooters big time or something.

Updated Now that I actually read the article closer (duh!) I see they said they are definitely going to be doing a major new game either in The Witcher universe or Cyberpunk, so in that case I hope they make the right choice, which means a new Witcher game, damn it! :biggrin: Hopefully anyway

Last edited:
I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077 and I greatly hope for another big game in that universe.

I also greatly enjoyed The Witcher 3 but I believe that was due to its overall quality more than its setting, and while I would look forward to another game in that universe, I would be cautious about enthusiasm for it since I only slightly enjoyed TW1 and TW2 and unlike every other of the dozens of good games I have played, I have never had a desire to replay TW3 for some reason (I will replay C2077 at some point).

With that said, I will be cautious about anything new they release because I would prefer for its bugs to be worked out before I play it, and their track record for that is not good.

The hype around the new Netflix series makes another Witcher game a certainty for priority.

Doesn't sound like they'll be doing any major expansions to CP 2077, opting instead for a new game. There's a lot of unused map there...

I'd like to see a classic Fallout style Cyberpunk game but I guess that would be a side hussle for CD Projekt RED rather than a main deal like it should be.

Unfortunately, the more AAA, the less RPG, as it seems to me. But thats probably inevitable as production costs force the company to go mainstream.

Eh… As much as I like CDPR, I still don't find this particularly exciting. If they're starting development of these titles next year, we're probably looking at 2026-2027 at the earliest until they get released.

Updated Now that I actually read the article closer (duh!) I see they said they are definitely going to be doing a major new game either in The Witcher universe or Cyberpunk, so in that case I hope they make the right choice, which means a new Witcher game, damn it! :biggrin: Hopefully anyway

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, they're developing a game for both.

Eh… As much as I like CDPR, I still don't find this particularly exciting. If they're starting development of these titles next year, we're probably looking at 2026-2027 at the earliest until they get released.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it, they're developing a game for both.

Yea, I think I got that wrong, now that I look at it. It was early in the morning and I was groggy will be my excuse! :)

Yep. The game(s) willl be a great time sink for the 12th covid wave. Quite fortunate that games don't feature taste and smell.

Does the new "AAA Cyberpunk" game mean "Guys, remember those Cyberpunk 2077 DLCs?Forget'em!" ?

The hype around the new Netflix series makes another Witcher game a certainty for priority.

Doesn't sound like they'll be doing any major expansions to CP 2077, opting instead for a new game. There's a lot of unused map there…

The only good thing about the Witcher series, I think, is Sapkowski books of course, then the massively amazing NETFLIX WITCHER TV SHOW!!
The rest can go to hell.

Like they said, Cyberpunk was the first game in a new franchise and insanely complicated, imagine they learn from that and make an even better second game... I just wounder, can they come up with such a fantastic story again ???? it appears hard.......

Keep making more games CD Projekt and I'll keep buying them.

Sure I was disappointed with how they handled CP 2077 but still enjoyed it. Don't listen to the online vocal minority. So keep doing what you guys do best. Story driven RPGs.
Does the new "AAA Cyberpunk" game mean "Guys, remember those Cyberpunk 2077 DLCs?Forget'em!" ?
Their holding them hostage for the next gen console versions. Still yeah they released only two free dlc's since it launched almost a year ago. That's pitiful based on Witcher III.
The list Couch posted last week doesn't suggest a major expansion-- just side quest stuff BEFORE the final battle. Unless I missed an announcement somewhere? A continuation of the story, for instance.
I can't remember the list. You might mean the updated roadmap. They'll release the new console versions next year, and we might be lucky to see the first expansion as well.

Last edited:
The only good thing about the Witcher series, I think, is Sapkowski books of course, then the massively amazing NETFLIX WITCHER TV SHOW!!
The rest can go to hell.

It's hilarious to be that passionate about a thoroughly mediocre TV show the game series beats in every way.

The list Couch posted last week doesn't suggest a major expansion-- just side quest stuff BEFORE the final battle. Unless I missed an announcement somewhere? A continuation of the story, for instance.

I don't know what you're referring to from last week, but they plan to do at least one major DLC and that hasn't changed. Most people seem to think it's heavily Pacifica related.

I don't know what you're referring to from last week, but they plan to do at least one major DLC and that hasn't changed. Most people seem to think it's heavily Pacifica related.
One as I recall CDPR claimed two large sized DLC expansion were in development. Did they change their mind in a recent meeting, or did I miss the announcement?

Here was the recent and past roadmaps.

Link - https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ing-windows-on-the-first-two/?sh=17e1daae1043

Back
Top Bottom