Solasta - Dungeon Maker

The Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 are two recent examples. Perhaps Wasteland 3 too, but I don't care much for this game so I haven't checked.

Good point. W3 is the only game of the 3 that I have played so far and I had not noticed the option was there. Still, imo, something such as NWN, where many very popular modules were basically MMO, just wouldn't work with a turn-based game.

This little independent studio just keeps bringing more and more surprises. They may be the next Larian Studios. Support them in their infancy so that they mature into a power house for years to come!

Lue.

And then everyone can feel entitled to flame them for being a powerhouse studio that makes awesome RPGs in ways that don't align exactly with every one of their preferences. :biggrin:

Good point. W3 is the only game of the 3 that I have played so far and I had not noticed the option was there. Still, imo, something such as NWN, where many very popular modules were basically MMO, just wouldn't work with a turn-based game.
Ah, "Now everyone pauses, because there's a combat somewhere!"
I see your point ;)

But there are ways around that: in Larian games, if members of your party were away when the combat started, they could go on exploring normally. If they got near the combat, they switched to combat mode and were taking turns. In a similar way, some MMOs isolate combats from other players, once it has started you need to be invited into the combat, and those outside of the combat cannot target those inside (and the other way round).

Very cool. This is sitting in my Steam library along with Baldur's Gate 3 and having played through both of them once during EA I am waiting now for the finished products before I play them again. I'm not really one to play with a dungeon editor myself but I had some really fun times playing the creations of others in Neverwinter Nights.

Game is coming along, great job so far devs.

Agree, this is a good D&D module. Lots of fun.

But there are ways around that: in Larian games, if members of your party were away when the combat started, they could go on exploring normally. If they got near the combat, they switched to combat mode and were taking turns. In a similar way, some MMOs isolate combats from other players, once it has started you need to be invited into the combat, and those outside of the combat cannot target those inside (and the other way round).

Sure, but imo, that's a bit cheesy and non-immersive. Rt works much better... as long as the game is designed to handle it.

Sure, but imo, that's a bit cheesy and non-immersive. Rt works much better… as long as the game is designed to handle it.
It's certainly more natural. Without pause, that could be more difficult to play though. I don't remember how NWN handled that in co-op, it removed the ability to pause, right?

But what if that's just one party in TB co-op? That wouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, in an MMO, it could feel strange. For people outside of the combat, it would feel like looking at characters performing, or playing some game, this is getting very meta :D

It's certainly more natural. Without pause, that could be more difficult to play though. I don't remember how NWN handled that in co-op, it removed the ability to pause, right?

But what if that's just one party in TB co-op? That wouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, in an MMO, it could feel strange. For people outside of the combat, it would feel like looking at characters performing, or playing some game, this is getting very meta :D

If I remember well, the ability to pause could be configured by whoever was in charge of the module.

Here is an interview made by Wccftech. Most questions are on the Dungeon Maker, but there are also more general questions, for those who are curious about Tactical Adventures and Solasta :)

https://wccftech.com/solasta-crown-of-the-magister-qa-making-dungeons-with-dd-5ths-ruleset

A few extracts:

I gotta ask if you have thought of possibly adding a Dungeon Master-like mode, which would allow even other players to play together cooperatively.

Mathieu Girard: It's in the backlog. But again, priorities, but yes, it would be cool. I've seen in the past that it's difficult to make such a tool because from our experience on tabletop, sometimes a DM can just explain the situation in a sentence.
(…)
But it's just too much of a task for the main release, but we're not ruling it out in post-launch to see if it's possible to add multiplayer to the game.

Are you planning to launch Solasta within the year?

Pierre Worgague: We haven't announced the release date yet, so it's a bit too soon to answer. But what we can already tell you is, since the Kickstarter campaign, we made a promise to stick to the release year. Kickstarter had us input a month next to it, and we couldn't commit to any month, but we wanted to release in 2021. And we put January just for the sake of inputting a month, but it was only theoretical at this point. We made sure to uphold our premise for the early access, which we did right on time when we announced it. So we will stick to 2021, and we hope to be able to confirm the final date soon.

Emile Zhang: (…) This update that will be coming in March, which we call the Spring update, will also have more than just the dungeon maker. We have actually planned quite a large update with a level cap increase from level six to level eight, as well as multiple side quests and background quests, which were absent in the previous version. We will also be adding new feats that players have been asking because the martial classes felt a little bit underloved (…)

Last edited:
I love what I'm seeing here. This dev really needs to be supported.

Yes, I'm rarely interested in early access, but I did want to support these guys. I'm critical of some crowdfunded projects and their conduct, but this team is doing things pretty much exactly as I think they should be done, so I feel I should vote with my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom