HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Attack of the Fanboy checked out the Mass Effect Legendary Edition:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Review

The classic trilogy comes together in an upgraded package

Do you know why they say you can never truly go home again? It's not because you can't revisit an old place. It's still there, and often not much has really changed. And yet, when you revisit someplace that was important to you the feeling that you associated with it is often absent. This is also the case when we replay older games we loved. We expect them to look, sound, and feel as epic and awe inspiring as they did to us when we were younger, but often those feelings never appear. However, with some upgrades and extra polish we can often get it as close as possible to the experience of playing for the first time all those years ago. That's what EA and Bioware have tried to do with Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

[...]

The Verdict

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a fan's dream come true. With all three games and almost all of their DLC included in one upgraded package there simply isn't more to be asked for here other than a full remake. The enhanced visuals are great. The gameplay changes are all for the better, especially in the first game. If you've played them before and have been yearning for a return to the Normandy then this is exactly what you've been waiting for. If you never experienced the trilogy in its original form then this is the definitive and ultimate way to do it. Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a fantastic collection of three of the best games ever made.

Score: 5/5
More information.

Fanboy?
The review was written by someone who skipped hairworks games.
What bloody 5 out of 5 in the year 2021 for absence of now ancient techs in an obvious cashgrab?

Note that I *am* ME #1 fan. Calling this re-release "legendary" makes me sick.
If I was dead I'd be turning in my grave.

I`m a big fan of series. Even Andromeda. It`s not a bad game - it`s just not as good MS as we hoped for. I bought 1st part on xbox and then xbox for it. Then I played 1&2&3 as standalones on PC and then again bought it on Steam. Now I payed for graphic enhanced version as I would for Biomutant or any AAA game on release. Well, looking from objective point of view, I`m a moron. And now when I try to play, game starts, I get to screen where I can choose which part I want to play and then I choose, have black screen for around 5 seconds and I`m back at that choose Your poison screen. I`ve spend 1 hour trying to make it work and got nothing. Many people have similar problem. So I`m glad that it`s working fine for some at least.

At least the author admits there are shortcomings and doesn't say it's perfect. But so the "objective" 5/5 score is somewhat suspicious, indeed.

If a game had to be perfect for a 5/5 score, then no game would receive such a score. Who ever said that 5/5 meant "perfection"?

If a game had to be perfect for a 5/5 score, then no game would receive such a score. Who ever said that 5/5 meant "perfection"?

I agree it doesn't mean perfection, but I don't think this game is anywhere near a 5/5 regardless.

I've never liked the 0-5 scoring system though and much prefer a 0-10 scale.

Nothing is perfect and every masterpiece needs a flaw.

I never liked numbers either. Those say basically nothing about a game.

Never could read from those numbers if a game music sucks or is great for example. Some reviewers are clotheared so I doubt those calculate that in their number.
Surprisingly a great music score can make me love a game that is perhaps not very good.

Another example where those numbers don't say much is how many aspects of the game are fun.
Again, some reviewers believe videogames are an unpaid job, enjoying any grind while excessive grind is the pinnacle of entertainment to them. Not once I saw perfect or almost perfect scores for such irritating job sims I wouldn't recommend even to my worst enemy.

Finally no numbers ever warn a reader about potential presence of lootboxes in a videogame. Because, well, lootboxes are not supposed to be added to or subtracted from a score? Right.

So forgive me, but when someone says a videogame is 5 out of 5 I take it as a brilliance, just a bit flawed, in anything a reader can think of.
The problematic part to take it as a fact starts the moment one learns the gem got broken - pinnacle station went down the drain.

ME1 doesn't have Pinnacle Station. The best, most immersive DLC not developed by Bioware at all. 1/10.

Apparently the only way that's coming back is if they remake it from scratch (which, while not impossible, they estimated it would take around 6 months and they didn't want to delay the rest on that) - the source code was lost and the backups of the source code they got from the third party who made the DLC were corrupted so they couldn't recover it that way.

Apparently the only way that's coming back is if they remake it from scratch (which, while not impossible, they estimated it would take around 6 months and they didn't want to delay the rest on that) - the source code was lost and the backups of the source code they got from the third party who made the DLC were corrupted so they couldn't recover it that way.

I'm glad that happened. That DLC was shit.

Is that a rhetorical question, or just nit-picking? :p

Firstly I haven't said that.

Secondly, one has to define the mark, a full score means close enough to perfection, otherwise what would it be? 90% of perfection? What if a game goes beyond? And is that even something you can measure? Is there a standard?

Thirdly, there is no need to reach that score. At uni 20/20 was perfection, the good old asymptote, and it was very rare to reach that score.

Anyway, scores are more often than not a numerically-coded message, and not a quantifiable measurement. Half a star would be lame, actually it shouldn't appear as a review. 4 must be rather good. I'd expect 4.5 for something exceptional, and 5 if the game really blew the reviewer away and he/she didn't find any significant issue, a rare gem. If that ever occurs, perhaps not.

Obvious fanboy review, but since I'm an obvious fan girl I'll take it. 5/5 seems about right to me!

Ps: in all seriousness though, these were 5/5 games back then, and they aged well, especially in this legendary edition. Not games everyone will agree to being that great but to be fair I think GTA or RDR are garbage and they also get 5/5 reviews so I suppose, to some people, those are as great games as mass effect games are to me and those games are being evaluated for those people, not me.

Obvious fanboy review, but since I'm an obvious fan girl I'll take it. 5/5 seems about right to me!

Ps: in all seriousness though, these were 5/5 games back then, and they aged well, especially in this legendary edition. Not games everyone will agree to being that great but to be fair I think GTA or RDR are garbage and they also get 5/5 reviews so I suppose, to some people, those are as great games as mass effect games are to me and those games are being evaluated for those people, not me.
Yes, it's very subjective, no matter what they say. If the vote came from several people it would be more objective but I doubt they could afford to do that.

It's a good complementary indicator, but reading the review gives a better feeling, it's possible to see what the author likes.

I've never considered 5/5 as "perfection", since no game is perfect, that would be an impossible standard and having a number "5" just for it to be never used would be quite idiotic. And I don't care if it's 5 or 10 numbers, because 5 is easily enough to get the message across, anything more is just a pretend precision that isn't actually warranted, because reviewers have different tastes, etc. So if someone calls a game a 5 (or a 9,x or even a 10), I know they really liked it and it catered to their preferences (or broke them in an interesting way), nothing more. Details in the review that actually describe perceived flaws instead of random numbers being deducted are much more interesting, because "The humour feels forced sometimes, for example ..." is much better for me than "9,7" instead of "9,8"

And I don't care if it's 5 or 10 numbers, because 5 is easily enough to get the message across, anything more is just a pretend precision that isn't actually warranted,

Your opinion, and that's fine, but I feel like there's a much wider range games can fall into than just 1-5.

Nothing is perfect and every masterpiece needs a flaw.

I never liked numbers either. Those say basically nothing about a game.

Never could read from those numbers if a game music sucks or is great for example. Some reviewers are clotheared so I doubt those calculate that in their number.
Surprisingly a great music score can make me love a game that is perhaps not very good.

Another example where those numbers don't say much is how many aspects of the game are fun.
Again, some reviewers believe videogames are an unpaid job, enjoying any grind while excessive grind is the pinnacle of entertainment to them. Not once I saw perfect or almost perfect scores for such irritating job sims I wouldn't recommend even to my worst enemy.

Finally no numbers ever warn a reader about potential presence of lootboxes in a videogame. Because, well, lootboxes are not supposed to be added to or subtracted from a score? Right.

So forgive me, but when someone says a videogame is 5 out of 5 I take it as a brilliance, just a bit flawed, in anything a reader can think of.
The problematic part to take it as a fact starts the moment one learns the gem got broken - pinnacle station went down the drain.

Numbers are just a general guide, they give you an idea of whether you might want to consider the game. Of course numbers are not going to tell you the things that you listed but all you are doing is just stating the obvious. No one should buy a game just based upon a number score, and frankly, I don't know anyone who does.

Is that a rhetorical question, or just nit-picking? :p

Firstly I haven't said that.

Actually you did. You said the score of 5/5 was "suspicious" since the reviewer said that the game had flaws. That implies that you think a 5/5 score means that the game should be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom